Which players should FC Barcelona buy in the upcoming years and why?

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
my choices in order of preference...

DEFENSE
1. David Luiz
2. Mamadou Sakho
3. Fábio Coentrão
4. Davide Santon
5. Gregory van der Wiel

MIDFIELD
1. Cesc
2. Javier Pastore
3. Ganso

ATTACK
1. Pato

My name is Jonathan and I endorse this post

SwiftGuyver

i've read in various places that we are lining up a 10m pound bid for Sakho and a bid for Cesc in the summer is a near on certainty...

it's a shame Chelsea look set to sign David Luiz for 26m though...

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
i've read in various places that we are lining up a 10m pound bid for Sakho and a bid for Cesc in the summer is a near on certainty...

it's a shame Chelsea look set to sign David Luiz for 26m though...

If we get those two my life is complete.

SwiftGuyver

Swift:

Your wishes are more or less the same as mine. Good taste. Even though I prefer Sakho rather than Luiz.

nice one man...

Sakho would be an amazing buy...i hope we get him...he can cover/replace either Puyol or Abidal in the future...he will provide good competition for Fontas in the future also...he is big, strong, fast, skillful on ball, good at set pieces, young and a natural leader...he will offer us great options...

are future line up in the next 3-5 years could look something like this...

............................VV...............................
Alves/Bartra.....Pique/Bartra......Sakho/Fontas.......Sakho/Muniesa
........................Busquets..........................
.........Xavi/Cesc................Iniesta/Thiago....
Messi..................Villa/Pato.........................Villa/Pedro

Puyol, Xavi, Villa all slowly phased out as they decide to hang up their boots...

Gizzauk

I really cant see us going for Pato or even Pato linking up well with our team, whenever i watch him play he really does nothing to impress me, and the cost to buy him just doesnt makse alot of sence to me, we kinda have him already in Bojan.

I really beleive we are in need of a new keeper, maybe moving Oier up and give him some minutes before we really need to think bout it, it took us far to long before we settled with Victor and i really dont want this again.

A new left back is need as Maxwell isnt up to a high standard that Abidal give us, maybe looking at Fabio or Raffeal from Man Utd, even the possibility's of Gareth Bale, he is pretty much the left sided version of Dani Alves.

A high priority is to keep Dani Alves at the club and move Bartra into the first team, Skaho makes real sense but i dont think we will pay what PSG would be after, Fontas and Muneisa need some minutes and i think giving them some now is best.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
A new left back is need as Maxwell isnt up to a high standard that Abidal give us, maybe looking at Fabio or Raffeal from Man Utd, even the possibility's of Gareth Bale, he is pretty much the left sided version of Dani Alves.

Rafael and Fabio are right-footed, so they're useless when we attack (because not being able to cross well with your left foot is a HUGE setback for a left back), and we don't need a left sided Alves. That would probably leave our defense too exposed. I think Maxwell is good enough, we don't need to spend for the time being imo. Abidal is still excellent.

Gizzauk

Im very aware of the fact both players are right footed, but both have played at left back for united aswell this season, messi and pedro dont play of the same sides as there prefered footings.

So if Abidal has a inj then what do we do? Stick just with Maxwell? or again put Carlos Puyol there? and in ur views a right footed player that cant play there. Tho Adriano does well on both flanks.

the need to play on ur given side is far gone, but i didnt say we need to spend now, i was answering the given subjects questions as to who and where we might need.

Jesse1509

Im very aware of the fact both players are right footed, but both have played at left back for united aswell this season, messi and pedro dont play of the same sides as there prefered footings.

So if Abidal has a inj then what do we do? Stick just with Maxwell? or again put Carlos Puyol there? and in ur views a right footed player that cant play there. Tho Adriano does well on both flanks.

the need to play on ur given side is far gone.

The same foot rule only applies to backs in this case. In our system, the crosses have to come from our backs, and our 'wingers' join the center. For those wingers, it's a positive thing that they're fielded on the wrong side, because they won't have to cross anyway, but they have to shoot or pass.

And if Abidal gets injured, we've got Maxwell and Adriano to replace him, and even Muniesa (and probably some other canteranos too). So there's plenty of cover for our left back position already. Carles Puyol isn't even needed there, so we won't even have to consider buying a left back, unless we sell Abidal or so, of course.

Last edited:

Gizzauk

Id love to see us give chance to players like Muniesa and Bartra as we have with some of the other La Masia boys, but i dont think we need a new left back now, we need to improve in other places, but i dont see Maxwell or Adriano as a long term players, they work now like Gio and Slyvinho did but soon enough we need to replace and looking at the cantera's i cant think of a left back bar Muniesa so looking at players like Bale etc could be a good option. You seem to think i want them now but ive not once said we need to do this now we need a new centre half and a back up keeper in my eyes. Tho thr squad we has is superb but if were sticking with the cantera's then lets get some in a bit more regularly.

Jesse1509

Id love to see us give chance to players like Muniesa and Bartra as we have with some of the other La Masia boys, but i dont think we need a new left back now, we need to improve in other places, but i dont see Maxwell or Adriano as a long term players, they work now like Gio and Slyvinho did but soon enough we need to replace and looking at the cantera's i cant think of a left back bar Muniesa so looking at players like Bale etc could be a good option. You seem to think i want them now but ive not once said we need to do this now we need a new centre half and a back up keeper in my eyes. Tho thr squad we has is superb but if were sticking with the cantera's then lets get some in a bit more regularly.

Okay, then. I misunderstood you, because you said it was needed, and I thought you meant right now.

Bale wouldn't fit in our system imo, and he too would be overpriced because of the hype surrounging him. As I said before, we don't need our left back to be a Dani Alves clone, we need a solid left back who can help out Piqué and Puyol and who gives our team some width. Abidal does this job quite well, and Maxwell and Adriano are decent replacements. I'd rather save my money now instead of spending it on younger players when it's not even needed if I were in charge. Only if Muniesa and the other youthful defenders aren't good enough in a couple of years should we spend money on a new left back in the years to come.

Gizzauk

Yeh but when Alves pushes up so does Abidal and then what happens is Puyol and Pique move out and the holding mid drops in like Sergio or Masch, where we end up with a back 3, 2 wing back and then the front boys, i dont see us needing a left back this moment and sure Bale would cost alot but its a pipe dream and hes very similar to Alves.

I rather see the whole 11 Cantera players but its unlikly to happen as no left backs coming through.

Jesse1509

Yeh but when Alves pushes up so does Abidal and then what happens is Puyol and Pique move out and the holding mid drops in like Sergio or Masch, where we end up with a back 3, 2 wing back and then the front boys, i dont see us needing a left back this moment and sure Bale would cost alot but its a pipe dream and hes very similar to Alves.

I rather see the whole 11 Cantera players but its unlikly to happen as no left backs coming through.

Abidal usually plays more conservative than Dani, and sometimes he even plays a a third central defender. But indeed, in our last matches I believe Abidal played as left wing back, albeit a little more defensive than Dani on the other side.

SwiftGuyver

when Abidal decides to call it a day i think Sakho or Coentrão would be better options for our left back position and obviously let's not forget about Muniesa...

i don't feel we need Rafael, Fabio or Bale and personally, as a fan, i wouldn't want them at Barca...

Last edited:

Birdy

First priority now, is to find players for other positions:
1) CBs.. Puyol pairing with Pique is a masterpiece, but Puyol is ageing and Pique is lately playing on injections due to our defender shortage.. Milito IMO is not good enough now.. So we donnot have anyone behind them!! a Bit worrying.. Masia's youngsters are a good choice and i think Fontas is a great one.. But given that Milito will probably wave goodbye in the summer, and Abidal is clearly out of position (despite his conscientious workινg mood) -and this will be clearly exhibited in tougher games- we need at least one decent -not expensive- CB in the summer to cover alongside with Fontas..
2)Attacking mids.. ok Xavi and iniesta is insurmountable duo.. But Xavi is ageing and his tenonditis is ageing too.. It would be wiser to keep him 5-6 more years and use him cleverly like Ferguson does with scholes than burn him in 1,5 years time.. If he continues to play every game with the current rate, including his physical distress due to WC,Euros and the rest, i see the latter coming true.. We need one player there in the summer apart from Tiago, and he might not be Cesc actually (-see my post in the "need for Cesc' topic")..
3)Upfront.. Again, the MVP trident is more than brilliant.. But what about reserves? Affelay, boyan, ... and? Jeffren maybe.. ok, even if Jeffren is counted as a decent sub next year we need one more...

conclusion: Great first choice 11, but we lack seriously reserves.. Only at fullback and DM positions we are full..

Home of Barca Fans