Which players should FC Barcelona buy in the upcoming years and why?

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Very cool to finally have a mature discussion about a player, I like this forum more and more already ;)

You've got some facts twisted/misinterpreted tho: He didn't say he didn't need training, he said he didn't like training, that it's something he needs to pull himself through. Georges Leekens took it personally (which he did great btw), and put him on the bench when it was Belgium against a eastern European team. His coach from Lille did the same for a couple of matches, and Hazard was thankful that they did so. He thanked them both, telling them he needed this to be even more motivated, and that's when he started shining again (Made 3 full pages in L'Equipe, first player ever doing that in the history of the newspaper).

Your compairison with Lukaku is just, but not the same. Education of steel, yes, greatly surrounded by a wonderful dad, who knows what's Lukaku going through, and Anderlecht who would do anything to protect their godsent player. They (RSCA) learned from the mistakes they did with other players (Vanden Borre, Vadis and also Kompany a bit; he was 'lucky' enough to be and act like a professional at a young age)

We both agree Arsenal is the right team for him (for different reasons ;) ), and I'm not saying he is the new Messi. But he could be. Ow how he could be. Hopefully, he'll go to Arsenal and he'll learn even more at a higher level. It would be so great for Belgium :)
Oh, no doubt he will make major headlines in L'Equipe. He has swagger, is greatly talented, plays in a currently good Lille team, ... and speaks French. You know how the French are. :p Benzema was also the king of France when he played there.

As for the training: Basing myself on Wilmots, the assistant coach of Belgium (added this so the rest can follow as well), his declarations. (I assume, since your from Brussels, you have the gift of being bilingual? :D) For the rest: Wilmots says in the video: "How Hazard behaves on training is not workable. Eden said: Trainings are not for me. I'm not used to train, I'm a match player". I interpret that as Hazard thinks he has no need to train. If he then also doesn't like to train either, that's going to be a disaster. Not like to do something you think you don't actually need, sounds wrong.

And perfect that you name those three players; Kompany, Vanden Borre and Vadis. Kompany wasn't lucky, he simply made/is making it cause he is very intelligent, mature and professional (the way he dissed HSV during the Olympic games for instance). The other two you name are back in Belgium now, and if you have followed them ... you know they are mental midgets. Vadis? Has seen the bench a few times already because of his mentality, in the bloody Belgian league! VDB? Mental nutcase. But all of those three can play wonderfully and have talent to boot, only Kompany is doing it consistent now (was also firmly hindered in consistency due to his injuries). You just provided examples that state my reason why I don't believe in Hazard, Hazard does not have the head for top flight football. He will show flashes though, flashes that will win goals and games.

Yes, Lukaku has better entourage than Hazard, I think, especially the father. Lukaku will be a machinelike professional, no doubt about that.

V

Valon

thats a stupid thing to say because being a father has nothing to do with age. he earns so much more than people in their 30s can.

so why shouldnt he get a kid if he really wants to?

I don't think it's stupid but that's just me, I personally think getting married before you're 25 and having a kid is a bad idea but that's just me.

mittchan82

I don't think it's stupid but that's just me, I personally think getting married before you're 25 and having a kid is a bad idea but that's just me.

Well, that's what some might think. I know plenty of people who became parents at an early age and become better people thanks to their kids.

BUT WHO THE HELL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT????

Moe

powered by;
As much as I love Pato I dont think he's needed now, unless we plan to carry on with our new tradition of buying a new forward every season, also it's not like Pato will come easily. Abidal and Puyol aren't getting any younger and I think we should concentrate at those two positions before looking at Xavi's replacement (Fabregas). For this summer I think we should call back 1) Caceres & 2)Milito (if he goes on loan this January), and buy 3) Coentrao. Alves-Pique-Puyol-Coentrao is how our back four should look next season. for every one of those positions we'll have at least a player or two to cover it up incase there's an injury or suspension. Our midfield and attack SHOULDN'T change for next season (baring any serious injury for Xavi).

Moose

Oh, no doubt he will make major headlines in L'Equipe. He has swagger, is greatly talented, plays in a currently good Lille team, ... and speaks French. You know how the French are. :p Benzema was also the king of France when he played there.

As for the training: Basing myself on Wilmots, the assistant coach of Belgium (added this so the rest can follow as well), his declarations. (I assume, since your from Brussels, you have the gift of being bilingual? :D) For the rest: Wilmots says in the video: "How Hazard behaves on training is not workable. Eden said: Trainings are not for me. I'm not used to train, I'm a match player". I interpret that as Hazard thinks he has no need to train. If he then also doesn't like to train either, that's going to be a disaster. Not like to do something you think you don't actually need, sounds wrong.

And perfect that you name those three players; Kompany, Vanden Borre and Vadis. Kompany wasn't lucky, he simply made/is making it cause he is very intelligent, mature and professional (the way he dissed HSV during the Olympic games for instance). The other two you name are back in Belgium now, and if you have followed them ... you know they are mental midgets. Vadis? Has seen the bench a few times already because of his mentality, in the bloody Belgian league! VDB? Mental nutcase. But all of those three can play wonderfully and have talent to boot, only Kompany is doing it consistent now (was also firmly hindered in consistency due to his injuries). You just provided examples that state my reason why I don't believe in Hazard, Hazard does not have the head for top flight football. He will show flashes though, flashes that will win goals and games.

Yes, Lukaku has better entourage than Hazard, I think, especially the father. Lukaku will be a machinelike professional, no doubt about that.

Well, I normally just read this forum but I felt inclined to respond to this. I mean WOW... you're really creating a one-sided negative and tainted picture from Hazard here based on complete bogus from your part. He never said things like "I don't need training" nor did he ever have the attitude of being the absolute star of Lille taking everything for granted... You might want to back up such statements with exact quotes and not taking the comments from Leekens and Wilmotts 2 steps further for your own amusement.

I can't believe you value the opinions of Leekens and Wilmots so much, seeing how highly rated they are as managers abroad and how biased they are towards any player with above-avage technical ability. (e.g. How Leekens chased away Mertens at Ghent and how he kept ignoring Bryan Ruiz; Wilmots who goes on and on about the greatness of the Bundesliga since you've got to be a physical beast to play over there) These 2 nitwits were capable of putting the likes of Mertens, El Ghanassy, De Bruyne and Hazard in the stands in a must win game on an artificial turf in Kazachstan. He made a lucky escape thanks to a non-perfomance of the goalie and a poor referee who denied the home-side a penalty and legitimate goal after a phantom offside call.
You're not really doing yourself a favour cornering your opinion on the statements of these 2 acclaimed coaches ;) Besides you're interpretation of the interpretation from Wilmots speaking in handicapped Dutch about what he read what the press wrote about Hazard's statements about his training-ethic is wrong. :p There's no mention whatsoever about him thinking he doesn't need training which makes you paint an arrogant picture of him..

Have you ever checked the comments coming from Lille about the fuzz regarding Hazard's work ethic? They laughed it off as being completely over the top with his coach and teammates coming to his defence. Hazard himself indeed stated that he isn't a workhorse on training but rather a person who plays like a little kid trying to enjoy himself by nutmegging his teammates. And I cherish players who want to express themselves on a field rather than be a coach's mindless drones.

Garcia, his coach, did make a statement that Hazard needed to up his effort on training to overcome this first 'setback' in his carreer. But he was never on the bench for those couple of matches as a punishment for lack of effort like you're making out here but because he had a slump in form.
And be real, that dip in form lasted a mere 2 months... After which he regained and surpassed his level from last year and helped Lille to the top of the Ligue 1 being the hub of their attacking threat.

However, I don't think he can reach the level of Messi like Muse23 stated... Messi is a one in a generation player, but Hazard can be among the next best things for sure.
In my eyes he's the greatest thing coming out of Belgian football since Scifo and he has the capabilities of becoming the best Belgian ever.

Muse23

You interpret what Wilmots says as that Hazard thinks he doesn't need it because he thinks he's that good. That could be true. But it also could be true that he just doesn't like it and that he prefers the real thing: matches. Wilmots also says that he, his Lille-coach, and his dad all are trying to persuade him to 'switch that button' and be more professional when it comes to training. That's what he did, and that's why he became even better after that (and that's why he was the star in L'Equipe (but I also know it's because they consider him 'part of France' :p)).

About those 3 players: I chose the word 'lucky' for Kompany, but you know what I meant: he has indeed a better mentality and is a completer person, that's why he made it to where he is right now. About VDB and Vadis: I'm not saying they don't have a bad mentality, but if Anderlecht did all the efforts for them as they do know for Lukaku, they would have turned out other persons/players.

I'm a big fan of Vanden Borre btw ;), massive player

J

Jawad Mahruz

Some players are needed...

As for me,Barca could buy Cesc or Sneijder to replace Xavi.They r both quality mids with a lot of talent.Problem is price..As for Puyol Barca must find a replacement soon.I would say David Luiz atleast loaned for 1 or 2 years till Barca buys a star defender.Now David Villa,well he's quite good and i dont think we will need a change for atleats 2 or 3 years.Barca then could buy Aguero or Pato,depending on price.Their skills r almost the same and their age is 2 years gap.So I woudn't mind.But first,Xavi has to be tested.He does play well.So I dont think that keeping him from some years would be a problem.Same goes for Puyol.

I hope Barca wins the UEFA and the Liga BBVA

MESSI IDOL FOREVER

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
Just Cesc for now.... and maybe a hugely talented left back we can loan out for now, for when Maxwell and Abidal age.

Oh, and ditch Adriano and get a GOOD right-back coverup.

Povikas

Brandon
Not much maturity either. Guy became a father last month when he still was a teenager. He lacks professionalism at this point as well.

I dont see anything wrong being a young father. My father was 20 when he got his first child, my sister.
It's kinda insult calling someone immature for this reason.

or maybe it's not trendy these days to have kids at young age?
+ cultural differences.
+ traditions

over.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
In my eyes he's the greatest thing coming out of Belgian football since Scifo and he has the capabilities of becoming the best Belgian ever.
Now I need to say WOW. Agree that I am overly negative about him, but that's only to compensate the overly positive vibe aruond him. He won't be like Scifo, Scifo could play football AND had that intelligence on the pitch.

I'm a big fan of Vanden Borre btw ;), massive player
Indeed. But massive twat as well. :p

I dont see anything wrong being a young father. My father was 20 when he got his first child, my sister.
It's kinda insult calling someone immature for this reason.

or maybe it's not trendy these days to have kids at young age?
+ cultural differences.
+ traditions

over.
Relax relax.

He comes from my country, he lives according to the same traditions. So I don't care what they do in Estonia or Australia or whatever part of the world. If you think it is fine, great, have babies at 18.

We'll see what comes from him. If he proves me wrong, I will say i was wrong and apologize in the coming years. If he doesn't prove me wrong, Eden can send me a post card with his apologies of not reaching his potential. And by potential I do not mean freewheeling a bit in Ligue 1 or wandering around a bit like Vermaelen at Arsenal. I seriously mean top level consistency at a BIG medal winning club.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Both (Cesc and Aguero) are way too overpriced. We don't need either, and definitely not both. As for Coentrao...he's great and all but I'm more inclined to see a youth product, I hear Muniesa is great.

dalitis8

Banned
Cesc must force Arsenal to sell.

If we beat them again this year it will become that much easier me thinks.

Aguero is massive. Maybe in 2 years time we go for him. Maybe 3.

As for Muniesa, well if can cut it then fine. But otherwise a world class left-back will soon be required.

SwiftGuyver

my choices in order of preference...

DEFENSE
1. David Luiz
2. Mamadou Sakho
3. Fábio Coentrão
4. Davide Santon
5. Gregory van der Wiel

MIDFIELD
1. Cesc
2. Javier Pastore
3. Ganso