Which players should FC Barcelona buy in the upcoming years and why?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he's staying.

I thinky maybe only Maxwell will leave in the summer. We need another LB, a CB and a striker. But I have a strange feeling cesc may come.

I think Maxwell lost the motivation and it's no surprise that it coincided with Ibra's departure.
I also believe Milito will be sold to pursue his regular first team football (to put it in the best possible way).

There's been much much less rumors than last year though, so it's hard to guess where'll Pep look for signings.

FiReFTW

sorry guys but how can you say we need a CB when Abi made a huge season as CB

We were thin in defence this year already , we practically had to play Busquets and Mascherano as CB a few times, now in the summer Milito and Maxwell will both leave and we don't need defenders? are you f***** kidding me?

rmpcsl

let me explain my opinion guys
CB - First of all it's not normal have Puyol and Abidal injured for 3 months at the same time maybe it wont happen again ever.
Plus if Pique Puyol Abi stay healthy (wich is normal) and if Pep wants to give some time to Fontas how many time can Pep give to another CB? and Masc can play there in case of urgency.
What we need is a LD (Coentrão) because we only have Adriano (RB too) / Maxwell and if Maxwell leaves maybe another LD but since Maxwell is a sub maybe B team player since Abi / Adriano can play there

In Keita's case:
Imagine if Cesc comes next year we will have Masc/Buqs/Keita/Thiago/Xavi/Iniesta and Cesc if Pep wants (as I suppose) to give minutes to Thiago there is not to many space because Cesc and Xaviesta will rotate all season long plus we can make some money seling a player that wont play that much

P

PhilS

This year, the team has proven to be so flexible, and has been so successful, that I don't think the squad will change much at all over the summer.

Next year's squad:
Valdes (Pinto)
Alves Pique Puyol Adidal (Adriano, Masch)
Xavi Busquets Iniesta (Masch, Keita, Thiago)
Pedro Messi Villa (Iniesta, Afellay, new forward)

That's 18 players. Just like this year, Masch will probably get more minutes that at least one of the starters. Masch has a way of getting the other team so pissed off that they lose their composure, which makes him an extremely valuable guy to have on the field.

Thiago, Afellay and the new forward will compete for playing time. Though the squad is likely to include a couple more (Fontas and ?), these guys won't play much at all unless there are quite a few injuries.

The keys will be Masch learning how to play CB, Masch and Busquets learning to play together in midfield, and incorporating Thiago, Afellay and the new forward.

I bet the new forward will be either young or old. Not any superstar in his prime, someone who can handle usually not starting.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Imo. If Cesc comes then there'll be no room for another striker as Iniesta will surely be played as left attacking midfielder/forward more often (rotations or not).
I guess 2 signings would be enough: striker or Cesc + left footed defender/full back

impeh

Hi, its me..
yeh, sakho + cesc would be lovely.

although i have a feeling we will probably get rossi ..

P

PhilS

Imo. If Cesc comes then there'll be no room for another striker as Iniesta will surely be played as left attacking midfielder/forward more often (rotations or not).
I guess 2 signings would be enough: striker or Cesc + left footed defender/full back

Interesting take, how adding Cesc would make Iniesta more of a forward. I'm sure Iniesta would improve at that role if he got more time there. With Cesc, Xavi could rest more, which is likely to be necessary soon, given his age and how he has been overworked.

Puyol is also old enough now that he will no longer be among the top 11 in minutes played, but Abidal would be hard to beat as Puyol's backup. I think this year's back line subs have done amazingly well, except at right fullback. I don't know if Adriano was not yet ready when Alves got hurt, or if he is just not suited for that position. I think Pep will go with Masch more as CB backup, Pep wants Masch to play more often than just the games when Busquets rests.

Birdy

Guys, think first that according to many sites (ok, rumours, but the only evidence existing) Pep's priority is not Cesc, but Rossi (and thats the way it should be, we were too thin upfront this year) and moreover an agreement with Villareal of 30m is alleged...

So, make your assumptions with only 40-50 millions (if revenue + Ibra money + Qatar installment accounts for 70-80 m) budget for the rest..

To me:
Attack: with Rossi deal we are ok.. 4 first choice players to rotate plus 3 to cover for the whole season (Affelay,Boyan, Jeffren). Question about a tall striker and plan B, but really if Pep had something like that in mind why did he let Henry go?
MId: the problem is creativity when even one of Xavi/Iniesta is missing.. Thiago can enjoy more playing time, but it did not seem to me as the man to rely on when iniesta is not there.. Keita also, as we all know, is not the player to create. Fabregas is an option, but 40 m is ridiculous price.. He has not done that much to cost that money..
Defense : Puyol and Abidal are over 30 and can pick injury and fitness problems with greater possibilities comparing to this year(especially puyol).. Milito should be sold, Maxwell too (He had a good first year, but he seems like losing his pace over and over and he was never reliable defensively)
So one CB and one LB to make for the players departing..

Home of Barca Fans