Barca and Real transfer balance 2000-2010

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Figure is derived from amount of cash spent and received from transfers.

Since 2000/2001 season:

Real Madrid: -612,2 million euros
FC Barcelona: -398,4 million euros

Beast

The Observer
It's the net between spending and receiving not the amount spent Jonathan .

usually when such particular data is highlighted it's to cover up and anti-Barca data by the Catalan press /Barca officials :D

I think it's also a subtle reply to Madrid press on Pep spending (277 Million in his 3 years in charge ) ;)

Twizku

The Twizmeister
Man. Madrid have been spending just a bit. If I had that much money I'd probably faint but before that I'd buy a Lamborghini Murcielago SV. With the bigger spoiler. Because it's awsome. But... back to the point. Aren't Madrid going to be spending big money in transfers next month? Maybe they should work on their youth academy.

Der Kaiser

fuck the youth system. takes ages and you never know what you´re gonna get. better spend some cash on reliable players like benzema who produce.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's the net between spending and receiving not the amount spent Jonathan .

usually when such particular data is highlighted it's to cover up and anti-Barca data by the Catalan press /Barca officials :D

I think it's also a subtle reply to Madrid press on Pep spending (277 Million in his 3 years in charge ) ;)

No man, I was just doing a list of Barca worst transfers in the last decade and opened this topic while looking at those figures.
Tbh. I thought the difference would be much larger.

Beast

The Observer
Thought u got it from the catalan press :D apology in place .
Nah we both wasted so much money the wrong way , i was actually shocked to read that piece about Pep spending.. who would have thought u spend 277 Mil in the last 3 years ? considering your first team is mostly youth team players it's quite weird

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I didn´t know the figure was that steep but it is very odd considering our squad is mostly comprised of home grown players.
Even if you deduct 30-40 mil that were spent on players Pep didn´t actually want (Caceres, Henrique, Keirrison) it´s still a hefty sum and not a great sign of Pep as sports director.
Blunders with Zlatan and Chygo are entirely on him. Some would argue differently but in the end I don´t expect Pep to be perfect, he´s a young manager and mistakes are a part of it.

Sergio

Sergison
I don't think anyone can deny that when it comes to transfers, Pep is very poor. In any other situation he would have been a disaster manager, but fortunately for you he inherited a very good squad.

Those figures make me feel for Rosell though, its being dumped with a financial mess like that which is forcing him to do things like the shirt sponsor which is making him a figure of hate amongst many, when actually Pep, who really has a big portion of blame in such bad business, is hailed as a hero still. Doesn't seem that fair really, guess that is politics though.

Huckleberry

Both, Madrid and Barça, had too much money to spend. So they spent it with no regard to oeconomic sense. Buying expensive players, giving them a huge salary, then let them go for free after a year or two, just to buy another player the same way....

gingerless

Yeah, I didn´t know the figure was that steep but it is very odd considering our squad is mostly comprised of home grown players.
Even if you deduct 30-40 mil that were spent on players Pep didn´t actually want (Caceres, Henrique, Keirrison) it´s still a hefty sum and not a great sign of Pep as sports director.
Blunders with Zlatan and Chygo are entirely on him. Some would argue differently but in the end I don´t expect Pep to be perfect, he´s a young manager and mistakes are a part of it.

weren't some of those laporta's fault?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
you people do realise Pep isn't in charge of how much we actually pay, right? he just tells the board who he wants and they go get them. if we're overpaying it's not down to him, he's not the one negotiating.

if you look at who we've signed since Pep took charge, and discount Laporta's money laundering schemes (Caceres, Henrique, Keirrison) it paints a different light of Pep's ability in the transfer market.

Keita = good
Piqué = great
Pinto = good
Dani Alves = great
Gleb = bad
Ibrahimovic = mixed
Maxwell = good
Chygrynskiy = bad*
Villa = great
Mascherano = good, potentially great
Adriano = good
Afellay = unknown

*signed as a long-term project, the first season was never gonna be pretty.

5 good signings
3 great signings
2 bad signings
1 mixed
1 unknown

now, you could count Zlatan as bad, but ultimately while he did suck for large parts of the second half of the season, he was amazing for the first 6 months and played a crucial part of our success that season. for that, I make him a mixed signing.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I doubt Pinto was Pep's idea, I know everyone loves to blame Txiki for everything bad and credit Pep for everything good but that signing was Txiki and our goalkeeping staff. Also I seriously believe Messi was something of the mastermind behind Mascherano, it's all speculation but that seemed to be a "right place at the right time" sort of deal that can be credited to Messi pseudo-tapping up his Santa Fe homeboy.

Overall the players Pep wants are more good than bad and I like his consistency instead of irrationally falling in love with scrubs like Rafa Benitez or whatever does, but it does seem like the majority of our best signings in recent years have come from within the league and attempts to scout unknowns in Eastern Europe and Latin America have lead to nothing but fail. That and the Eto'o/Ibra fiasco was a financial disaster.

At least our Arsenal fetish hasn't been flaring up recently.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I doubt Pinto was Pep's idea, I know everyone loves to blame Txiki for everything bad and credit Pep for everything good but that signing was Txiki and our goalkeeping staff. Also I seriously believe Messi was something of the mastermind behind Mascherano, it's all speculation but that seemed to be a "right place at the right time" sort of deal that can be credited to Messi pseudo-tapping up his Santa Fe homeboy.

well I can't say who Pep requested directly and who he didn't (well, for some I can because he said so, like Gleb, Chysus, Keita and Villa) but my point was more that, discounting the players that were obviously signed against his will - i.e. The Laporta Three - the players that have come into the club during his time as manager are overall of a good quality. now, for a lot of them he may have done as little as give his approval, but that's enough to show his appreciation of talent - saying he's "bad" at transfers is stupid because by either definition he's not.

if it's because we've overpaid for players... that's not down to him.

if it's because we've signed some duds, well overall he's signed more good than bad and questioning his judgement of talent is barmy since he's raised Busquets and Pedro (they were total unknowns) from the Tercera Division to the muhfuckin' World Cup Final in the space of two years.

Overall the players Pep wants are more good than bad and I like his consistency instead of irrationally falling in love with scrubs like Rafa Benitez or whatever does, but it does seem like the majority of our best signings in recent years have come from within the league and attempts to scout unknowns in Eastern Europe and Latin America have lead to nothing but fail. That and the Eto'o/Ibra fiasco was a financial disaster.

frankly Chysus was only a disaster because of Txiki (and I know you love to defend him, but the blame for the excessive price falls squarely on him in this case) paying over the odds. as a player he had a decent first season and was only gonna get better, before Sandrusco forced him out as part of a de-Laporta-fying effort.

and getting rid of Eto'o was always going to be a disaster because we didn't handle his renewal immediately (Txiki, again) but waited until 08/09 was over at which point he held all the cards. City looked like they were going to bail us out, but Samu told them to do one so we had to make that crazy-ass deal with Inter just to get rid of Eto'o.

At least our Arsenal fetish hasn't been flaring up recently.

truesay.

Home of Barca Fans