Finland

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
finally, you are one of those finnish people that dont seem depressed with life.

i have met a few finnish people (on exchange) and wow, they have this ability of sucking the life of the party unless they are drunk (at which point, they just turn weird)

LOL I have a female Finnish friend and she always is positive. So it must be those people I think lol.

Twizku

The Twizmeister
finally, you are one of those finnish people that dont seem depressed with life.

i have met a few finnish people (on exchange) and wow, they have this ability of sucking the life of the party unless they are drunk (at which point, they just turn weird)
Thank you! I'm blushing :blush: ... life's too short to be taken seriously :)

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Most of the Finns I've met have been happy as hell.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Back to the Finnish national team, you gits.

It's somewhat equivalent to a bowl of piss atm.

Finnish under 21's have been actually quite decent and they've managed to have some important results as well. They stole a point from Spain and won Poland with ease. The have also good talented players like Riku Riski, Lukas Hradecky and Raitala who should gradually be gaining experience in the A-team.

I sincerely fail to understand why Finnish coaches do not try renovating the youth system while seriously blooding in some youngsters into the first team. I'm not saying it would necessarily solve the problem, but at least it's worth giving a shot. Current crop of players is just too damn old.

Last edited:

Twizku

The Twizmeister
Back to the Finnish national team, you gits.

It's somewhat equivalent to a bowl of piss atm.

Finnish under 21's have been actually quite decent and they've managed to have some important results as well. I still fail to understan why doesn't Finnish coaches try renovating the youth system while seriously try to blood in some youngsters into the first team. I'm not saying it would necessarily solve the problem, but at least it's worth giving a shot. Current crop of players is just too damn old.
Yeah... we wen't off topic... people didn't want to say how horrible our national team is :lol:
The under 21's have been OK and that might have something to do with the coach ( I suspect ) since our national teams coach got fired I think last month and right now I belive that we don't have a coach. I think we are sinking fast so my other idea ( wich is a bit crazy ) is that we go on a hiatus and in that time make a whole new squad out of under 23's and 21's. Anyone who is over 32 shouldn't be allowed in to the team ( I'm looking at you Litmanen... ). It's a bit crazy... OK I'm mad for thinking about it as nobody would ever even think about it :lol:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Yeah... we wen't off topic... people didn't want to say how horrible our national team is :lol:
The under 21's have been OK and that might have something to do with the coach ( I suspect ) since our national teams coach got fired I think last month and right now I belive that we don't have a coach. I think we are sinking fast so my other idea ( wich is a bit crazy ) is that we go on a hiatus and in that time make a whole new squad out of under 23's and 21's. Anyone who is over 32 shouldn't be allowed in to the team ( I'm looking at you Litmanen... ). It's a bit crazy... OK I'm mad for thinking about it as nobody would ever even think about it :lol:

To be fair, Stuart Baxter had always been a leech while not getting the necessary results. I hated his guts ever since day 1.

The thing is, that you need to have couple of old-timers around to guide the youngsters. I'd gladly have Hyypiä and Litmanen to nourish our youngsters, as they would learn a lot from those two. But the likes of Forssell and Johansson... waste of bloody space.

Additionally what Finland seems to lacking completely is style of play and a system. Watching them play is at times nauseating. Finland would definitely need a coach with a clear vision of how the game should be played and try building a team around that idea.

Last edited:

Twizku

The Twizmeister
Stuart Baxter wasn't great. We need Roy back. Roy works for us because we don't have style of play. Roy ( in my opinion of course ) works for those teams who don't know what they're doing. That's why it isn't working in Liverpool. Maybe the forum should be the coach for the team...
We ( as any other team ) need some old timers ( maybe Hyypiä, but his thinking of quiting ) to help the youngsters with the pressure and so on and so on. Hopefully Dalla Valle ( or what his name is, I don't remember ) will choose us instead of Italy. Actually I'm not sure. I haven't seen him play so it's hard to say :)
PS. Are you finnish? You don't have to tell of course.

FinCulé

An update... Mixu Paatelainen has taken the job after Stuart Baxter got fired during the last qualifiers. SB just didn't get the results and I think the home loss against Hungary proved to be decisive. We haven't impressed in our friendly matches just yet but I have the faith it just gets better when we go towards the qualifiers for the World Cup.

Mixu has brought some fresh ideas into the team and the players are now generally younger since Litmanen and Hyypiä retired from the national team. We've got two young guns playing in the Bundesliga, namely Teemu Pukki and Alex Ring and they have started to gain playing time as well. In fact, Pukki is one of the most prolific strikers in Europe this season according to the statistics. He hasn't played much but he has managed to score pretty well.

In addition to Pukki and Ring, there are players who are performing in the bigger leagues as well. Take Roman Eremenko for instance who is continuously playing 90 minutes for Rubin Kazan in Russia. Markus Heikkinen, Joona Toivio, Kari Arkivuo, Tim Sparv, Kasper Hämäläinen and Daniel Sjölund are also regular starters for their respective sides.

The next qualifiers will be complicated for us since we should overcome France if we wanted to battle for the World Cup spots. Spain will be invincible but we really should be able to beat Belarus and Georgia. Mixu has spoken of a goal of achieving a major tournament in 2016 but I wouldn't mind one in 2014 either. In any case it would require an unbelievable performance and it seems quite impossible. But who knows?

Home of Barca Fans