Carlos Vela

Robbie

I still believe in Carlos. He just had really bad luck and is in a slump. He's Arshavin's long term replacement and will be playing every single game for West Brom this season. How he succeeds is entirely up to him, but he has the class to make it at Arsenal.

Bergkamp10

^
Lol harsh but true. Apparently he's amazing in training but I just don't see anything there with him. Decent finisher when we're already 3-0 up but he seems overweight and is apparently a bit of a party boy. Hopefully he proves me wrong at West Brom .

Sodamnsmooth

Hugo Sanchez was a legend, a brilliant player but you can count the Mexican footballers who thrived in Europe on one hand. Sanchez and Marquez are the only ones I can think of who established themselves on elite teams, then today you have a few good role players like Guardado, Pardo and Francisco Rodriguez. There's more Mexicans in Europe than there used to be but it's sad to see the largest Spanish speaking country in the World and the second richest country in Latin America produce so little high end talent.

The talent has been there, it's just there's been very VERY little incentive for Mexican players to venture out in the past. The get paid very high wages in Mexico, unlike in Argentina and Brazil. They also get the sure playing time and it wasn't really until this younger generation of players came along that Mexicans have been more willing to take pay cuts and venture out. To call 22 year olds that have played for clubs like Arsenal and Barca failures is short sighted. You have to be good to get through La Masia and break into the first team somewhat. Also, Wenger does rate Vela quite highly. He's said so himself, but there are six more experienced strikers at Arsenal right now.

I think this loan spell will do Vela well in that he'll get the minutes he needs in the Premier League.

Robbie

Vela is almost as fast as Walcott, and a much more creative player and better finisher. People who don't watch Arsenal think he's a flop, but are underestimating the ridiculously long injuries he got while playing for Mexico. That and his confidence is shot to pieces. At West Brom forums the fans are going mad for him and he hasn't even kicked a ball for them yet. Once he gets a few months on loan and a proper preseason for once, he'll rotate with Theo as a wide forward.

Arshavin is most probably off this summer, and we can't get work permits yet for Miyaichi and Silva, so he has a big chance if he takes it.

J

Jordzibob

:D Take that Arsene Wenger, take that!

"Oh Vela Vela, he's better than Cantona, Mexican superstar" ;)

EDIT: Not that much offside either :p

Last edited:
H

Haruko The Goon

Carlos Vela will return to Arsenal next season, the president of the forward's current club Real Sociedad said on Tuesday.

Arsenal can activate a clause in the former Mexico international's contract to bring him back to the Emirates, and Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay confirmed the move, telling Spanish radio station Cadena SER: "Arsenal have informed us that Vela would be with them next season, they are going to activate the clause."

MEH. not really bothered, just adding to the squads numbers, rather than quality.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
From what I've seen of him at Sociedad he seemed like a great player, and we're only getting him for 3 million so it's an amazing deal.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Carlos Vela will return to Arsenal next season, the president of the forward's current club Real Sociedad said on Tuesday.

Arsenal can activate a clause in the former Mexico international's contract to bring him back to the Emirates, and Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay confirmed the move, telling Spanish radio station Cadena SER: "Arsenal have informed us that Vela would be with them next season, they are going to activate the clause."

MEH. not really bothered, just adding to the squads numbers, rather than quality.

I didn't read it like that. Cadena Ser actually quote him as saying that things aren't definite wrt Arsenal activating the clause but that Arsenal made it clear that they would want him next season. Apparently Sociedad are trying to negotiate to eliminate the clause and keep Vela though. He also said Vela would like to stay at Sociedad.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Vela not quality? Is it because he played in La Liga?

suckabov

Lemon curry?
suckabov, I read that their president said Arsenal was activating the buyback clause.

Yes, but it in the original interview it doesn't sound that definite:

http://www.cadenaser.com/euskadi/ar...vela-bravo/csrcsrpor/20140610csrcsreus_19/Tes

Os han dicho si están con la idea de ejecutar la cláusula de recompra sobre Vela: "Si, si, no es de forma tajante o no tajante, ellos nos han dejado claro que pudieran querer que esté el próximo año con ellos y nos lo han dejado claro".

Reading the whole interview he seems to think that they could get Arsenal to sell the clause and keep Vela. He apparently wants to stay too. I can see this drag on for a while if Wenger is really in for Griezmann (trying to get a favourable price for him perhaps).

Last edited:
H

Haruko The Goon

Vela not quality? Is it because he played in La Liga?

SOMEWHAT.
He wasn't physical enough in the PL... some players don't cut it like others.

An example that springs to mind is Diego Forlán, shite for United, wonderful in La Liga.

Vela has the technique and the stamina, and the finishing, but to play on the LW in the premiership it's quite difficult. If he's changed as a player, he could very well cut it.

time will tell, but from my gut, I say meh to the signing. Good price, so I can see why Wenger does it.

H

Haruko The Goon

Yes, but I don't really see that in the original interview that everybody is quoting:

http://www.cadenaser.com/euskadi/ar...vela-bravo/csrcsrpor/20140610csrcsreus_19/Tes

Os han dicho si están con la idea de ejecutar la cláusula de recompra sobre Vela:*"Si, si, no es de forma tajante o no tajante, ellos nos han dejado claro que pudieran querer que esté el próximo año con ellos y nos lo han dejado claro".

Sounds relatively vague and not like the English translation to me and reading the whole interview he seems to think that they could get him to stay. I can see this drag on for a while if Wenger is really in for Griezmann.

"Yes, yes, it is not so sharp or not sharp, they have made ​​clear that they would want to be with them next year"

Home of Barca Fans