Croatia

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't jump on the hype-train just yet. We trashed probably the worst Argentine side since....ever, but we still lost against Brazil, didn't play very convincing against Senegal and tbh, goals against Nigeria were quite lucky.

True. Having said that, in last 2 decades Croatia beat Spain, Germany, Italy, Argentina, England...
Don't think you'll find a lot of teams who did that. We were always good and I am not considering this a fluke of some David against Goliath.
Last 2 decades we were almost always in top 10 teams in the World.

dakt

True. Having said that, in last 2 decades Croatia beat Spain, Germany, Italy, Argentina, England...
Don't think you'll find a lot of teams who did that. We were always good and I am not considering this a fluke of some David against Goliath.

What we lack is consistency and winner mentality. That former, we had yesterday. We were aggressive, but still - smart. If we can keep that for more then one game, not be afraid, we can get somewhere. This is a good starting point, talent is here, now keep the momentum.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Dalic already said he will field mostly players from the bench against Iceland. It's a nice luxury to have going fresh into knock-outs :)

Looking forward seeing Pjaca, Kovacic Kramaric...

BBZ8800

I wouldn't jump on the hype-train just yet. We trashed probably the worst Argentine side since....ever, but we still lost against Brazil, didn't play very convincing against Senegal and tbh, goals against Nigeria were quite lucky.

Over the last 20-25 years, we could have learned some patterns about our mentality in lots of different sports.
We can win against anyone.
Only to lose against anyone 3 days later.

The perfect example was World Cup 2002 in Japan:

1. before the first game we had an opinion: we are going to repeat the 3rd place from France 98'.
We are among 3-4 best teams in the world.
2. first match: Croatia:Mexico 0:1
Opinion: we are the worst team in the world, sack everyone.
3. 3 days later: Croatia:Italy 2:1
Opinion: we are the best team in the world, no one can beat us.
4. 3 days later: Croatia:Ecuador 0:1
Opinion: we are the worst team in the world, sack everyone.

We are always able to go from heaven to a rock bottom in space of only 3 days.

Also, some other simple patterns about our team is:
1. we usually play better against big teams (Germany, Italy and similar) than against teams when we are clear favorites (Hungary, Japan and similar).
2. also, we play way better when we are not under pressure and when the OTHER team has a MUST WIN game (England, Argentina). This is why I was quite sure that we will win yesterday. We were relaxed, Argentina needed a win, and we usually win in those kind of matches.
3. further, after every big win, we usually lose our heads and we play like a crap in the next match, for example 96' a loss to Portugal in 3rd match after an epic 3:0 win against former champions Denmark.
Or, a defeat to Argies in the 3rd match in 98'.
Or, a defeat to Portugal at Euros 2016' only a few days after we won against mighty Spain with a B team.
4. also, our media, fans and players often lose heads after 1-2 good matches in all sports, after wins in group stage and they think that a tournament is over and that we will win.
We lack objectivity, calmness and a German/Italian approach.
We are too emotional in that part.

So, imo, the only way for Croatia to EVER win some matches is:
1. if we are WAAAAY better than opponents and then we will win even though we are complacent
2. if we have a crazy coach (Blazevic or Simeone style) who will kick players in the ass all the time, and won't let them to lose their heads after 1-2 good matches
3. if we are underdogs against big teams who are under a huge pressure pressure (Germany, Argentina, Italy, England)
4. IF (this is a good thing) we are allowed to have a poor match in the 3rd round, and that way we will get our heads out of our asses and start to play with 120% again in the 1/8 and 1/4

So, if we want to reach let's say quarters or semis, the ONLY way currently is:
1. that we play horrible against Iceland and then we'll have a wake up call
2. or if a coach will kick player's asses all the time.

Imo, if we'll win against Iceland, and if media and fans will lose their heads even more, we will start a match against Denmark as favorites, we will be complacent and probably lose 0:2 without too much fight/ideas.

So, let's hope that Dalic can kick player's asses.
Or that we will play with a Bteam and either win with a Bteam against Iceland, or play horrible against Iceland.

If we'll play with A team against Iceland and if we'll play well and win, imo, knowing our mentality, we are dead then and we'll lose in the first next match due to a complacency.

You can apply these basic rules more or less to any team sport.
We are just too hot and cold, too emotional, and we need someone to keep us on the ground or we'll lose our heads after 1-2 good matches.

I have read some study a few years ago, it said that Balkan countries suffer from over confidence.
Serbia was the 1st placed overconfident and somewhat delusional country (in terms of mentality and overrating yourself) in the world
Croatia was the 3rd placed.

More or less, this is true.
We have skills, but after 1 epic win (Germany, Spain and similar), we already think: we are the best in the world (or among the best in the world) and after that we think that the opponents will be afraid of us and that we don't have to work hard anymore.
And then, we lose to any random team who had their heads on the ground, and not in clouds, like us.

Messi983

Dalic already said he will field mostly players from the bench against Iceland. It's a nice luxury to have going fresh into knock-outs :)

Looking forward seeing Pjaca, Kovacic Kramaric...

It's a luxury on one hand but on the other it could also disrupt match rhytm for some of the starters if they won't play for around 10 days. It happened before in big tournaments and that's why I'm not a fan of resting/rotating the whole XI in those type of games.

Kul_z

Thing is, croatia subs are in my opinion more deadly than the starters. Pjaca and kramaric are fast, good on the ball, and they love going 1 on 1. They are serious contenders for wc actually!

ronniecro

Thing is, croatia subs are in my opinion more deadly than the starters. Pjaca and kramaric are fast, good on the ball, and they love going 1 on 1. They are serious contenders for wc actually!

pjaca is nowhere near good or fast as before after that injury. and i wouldn't call us serious contenders after just two games,against nigeria we had penalty and own goal and this argentina squad is abysmal. i think quarter finals is reasonable expectation at the moment

Kul_z

pjaca is nowhere near good or fast as before after that injury. and i wouldn't call us serious contenders after just two games,against nigeria we had penalty and own goal and this argentina squad is abysmal. i think quarter finals is reasonable expectation at the moment
I know its early, but after watching that first half against brasil, and this wc performance they look pretty stacked. In my opinion, brasil, germany,spain, belgium, france and croatia look by far more serious than any other country.

dakt

We will probably cross with Denmark and if we pass we'll probably play against Spain in quarters. :)

MessiTBE

Banned
Croatiaaaaa You make Is proud You help us I sorry for calling Country Stupid you are all Beautufil people!!!!! I love all You

FCBfan22

Hrvatska is clinical. Very clinical. Iceland had a gazillion chances today, but vatreni scored 2 of the few chances they had with their B team. I expect them to go far.

If only they were so clinical against Portugal in the last Euro. Oh well...

TrueCule

Also, Kalinić made some amazing saves. He should actually be the man of the match. His saves saved Croatia from losing.

JerseyAddict

Croatia scores from every shot on target. It is insane.

What I am affraid off is that people in Croatia already speak of easy road to final... Again same shit as on euro16. I just hope we beat Denmark. They are unbeaten in last 12 official matches?

Home of Barca Fans