Croatia

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. But then again probably half the NT managers in the World are puppets one way or another.

He did instill team spirit and we played better than in last few tournaments.
Also if he was full blown puppet he would have played Pjaca or Rog from Dinamo but he played no good Rakitic and only subbed him in extra time.

Stric

Long story made short:

Čačić is not a star coach in these parts. A few years ago, he was appointed coach of Dinamo Zagreb, an underwhelming choice, had a short unsuccessful spell and was sacked as "a bad coach". A few years later, he's appointed NT coach by the same guy who appointed and sacked him from Dinamo Zagreb. Can you say puppet loud enough? Basically the FA was looking for a guy who'd be happy to take a job that he's not competent for, which would put him in a position of having to take orders from the FA regarding anything from choosing players to tactics. A big part of the public was very disappointed with the decision, because they assumed Čačić was not up to the task, and because they would expect the FA to finally hire a genuine top-level coach (maybe even from abroad) to match the level of quality of the squad.

Which are mostly fair expectations.

However, so far I consider him a better coach than Kovač (who was welcomed as a deity) and Štimac. We played much better than in previous several tournaments and our team looked more dangerous, disciplined and confident than ever. Kudos to Čačić for that. You can't blame him for accepting the job, so I have nothing against him. Also, I wouldn't even criticize him for the loss against Portugal. If we had won, he would have been praised for his wise decision to keep his best players on the pitch for as long as possible and wait with substitutions because extra time was looking likely. Which is exactly what most coaches would do. This way, after a single conceded goal, only minutes away from penalties, he's criticized for the exact same decision.

What I personally would criticize him for is not playing Pjaca and Kalinić instead of Brozović and Mandžukić. But then again, he spent every training session with the players, so I'd expect him to have a better perception of their level, while I only had the chance to see them for a short time.

I don't know, I find it hard to criticize him personally for anything. Probably only the post-match presser, in which he refused to accept any responsibility, which, even if it was true, is just not a classy move.

BBZ8800

I would like to hear some opinions from guys who aren't from Croatia.
I am not sure whether I am the most pessimistic football fan or others are slightly too optimistic about everything?

Anyway, Croatian papers are already writing about World cup 2018, offering a new formation, some new players, and more or less, the hype and a new hope is starting right away (2 days after Euro-knockout loss), lol.
So, a hype and a countdown to Croatia reaching semis or a final in 2018 has already started...

So, I would like to hear if people in other countries are as equally insane (and optimistic) as fans in Croatia?
I mean, again, Croatia never managed to get past a 1st knockout round on World cups and Euros since 1998, and in the last 18 years, we never won 2 matches in a row against bigger teams.

Euro 2000: -- didn't qualify
Wc 2002: KO group stage by Ecuador
Euro 2004: KO group stage by France+England
Wc 2006: KO group stage by Australia
Euro 2008: 1st knockout round, KO by Turkey
Wc 2010: -- didn't qualify
Euro 2012: KO group stage by Spain and Italy
Wc 2014: KO group stage by Mexico
Euro 2016: KO 1 st knockout round by Portugal

But yet, fans are blind to those facts.
All they see is: we are so talented, we have so good players, we were just unlucky.
Or they don't want to put any blame on players, our mental strength, lack of courage against Portugal and similar, and fans blame only poor Cacic for everything now. (I mean, ok, he was not perfect, but I see it as blaming Jordi Alba for all problems in Barcelona. As if he is responsible for Ney's partying, Messi's lack of motivation sometimes etc).

Also, brainwashed answers how Croatia played the best football on Euros (again, lol, only in a group stage).
And now we can read 1000s of posts on Croatian sites how we will reach a final in Russia (lol, again, how? Since we never won any match in knockout round? What, we will suddenly turn into robots with awesome mental strength who won't play hot and cold, like we always do?)
And if our leader will be Modric, the worst captain ever (he is a good player, but he is not good when he is supposed to be a leader) and Raki (who is only a workhorse at Barca)

I mean, we (Croats) are basically doing the same thing over and over again, and we somehow expect that we will get different results.
Einstein had a good advice about that problem.

For the last few years, before each tournament, I tell to my friends:
"We will get knocked out either in a group stage, if a group is a tough one.
Or if we'll have an easier group, we'll promote to a knockout stage, and then we'll get knocked out in the first match.
And then people will cry how we were unlucky, had too many injuries, ref was against us blah blah, same story every time."

Then people reply:
No. You are a pessimist.
We are soooooo good. We will reach semis or a final.

Then 2 weeks later, after we get knocked out, those friends cry: we were so unlucky, we were a better team (lol) and a ref was against us (lol, same crap each time).
And what is worse, 2 days later, those people start with a new brainwashed mantra: we will come back stronger in 2 years! We will be even better! The time is on our side! We can't be so unlucky every time!

My head will seriously explode while reading similar posts on domestic sites.
I know that people need something to hope for and something to look for in the future, but this is insane.

An analogy for Barca fans would be:
Year 1: person xx says: we will get 3 players from La Masia this year who will be starters in Barca
-- 12 Months later: we get 0 good players
Year 2: the same person says: we will get 3 players from La Masia this year who will be starters in Barca
Year 3: the same person says: we will get 3 players from La Masia this year who will be starters in Barca
Year 4: the same person says: we will get 3 players from La Masia this year who will be starters in Barca
Year 5: the same person says: we will get 3 players from La Masia this year who will be starters in Barca

After 5 years, someone should tell a guy: calm down and lower your expectations.
Haven't you realized that we aren't getting 3 players per year anymore?
Maybe it will happen, but 90% probably=it won't.

More or less this is how I feel while talking to/reading comments of majority of Croatian fans.
They are just putting all the blame on some random thing (referee, injuries, NT Cacic, President Mamic, a random player who made a mistake, like Strinic or Mandzukic this time).
And everything else is "perfect". We just need to change one player or a coach, and we will get on top of the world/Europe.

Insane stuff.
:rolleyes:

So guys from other countries, is the same in your countries, or people have slightly more sense and objectivity in other parts of the world?

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

On this day, 1998. [youtube]t_U0_tq2JbI[/youtube]

And the whole Croatia 1998. story

[youtube]kMRNOwPmQ5w[/youtube]

Last edited:

Devils

Off with nine of us packed in a van, ready for a 15 hours drive to the north!:cheers:

Lucky! Enjoy the experience.

I'm low-key excited to see Croatia. Keeping an eye out for Ante Rebic who looks like he could be one of the stand-out young players at the world cup.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
How was it [MENTION=16775]dakt[/MENTION]?

Kalinić kicked out of the team for refusing to come in late in the match against Nigeria.

Jenks

He deserves to be kicked out of the squad if true. You can't have that kind of personality affecting the rest of the team.

Home of Barca Fans