Croatia

M.L. King

The Preacher
Discuss here anything regarding Croatian National team.

They are playing today against Romania. Discuss the match here.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx for the thread Mirko.
We lost our captain Niko Kovac who retired from international football. He never was an outstanding player. Played for many clubs in Bundesliga, even Bayern, and lately decided to spend his last few seasons in Austria.
As I said he never was a great player, but when he played for Croatia he was probably one of the best DM`s I`ve ever seen. Always gave more than he could and was a leader of the team. I`d even rate him as a better captain than Zvonimir Boban.
His brother, inherited the captains armband, but he`s on his way out also. Signed for Dinamo Zagreb recently, to end his playing days.
That left us with Srna - a problematic figure in my eyes. A good player but not worthy to be captain imo.

Coach Bilic introduced a new player to replace Niko Kovac - 33.y.o. Ivan Juric who plays some good football in high flying Genoa this season. I wonder, whats the use of playing him at this age while at the same time we have a good option for DM in Vukojevic - one of the best player in Dinamo Kiev.

Thats about it on current events in Croatian national team. We will be fielding our best team in Bucharest .

-------------Pletikosa
Corluka--Krizanac--Simunic--Pranjic
----------Modric---Juric
-Srna---------------------Rakitic-
----------Petric----Olic

Romania, as I gather, will miss Mutu who is injured.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
That was something. First match and such a quality performance.
We`ll definitely be much stronger with him.

One disappointment was Juric. I don`t know what`s the use of testing a 33 y.o. when you have plenty of good players in that position

O

Ono.

I think Juric needs to be given some more time to adjust...I personally didn't expect a great performance from him considering the situation...It's hard to jump into Niko's boots

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was ok, but thats not the point. Vukojevic is in his rank so why not taking someone younger, who can feature in more than one qualy cyclus

Necro Spaaw

NeSaVlaDiV
^^ I'm not sure about that.. he got an invitation from the French young team as I heard. I believe they are doing this just to keep him from playing for Croatia in future.

And what is with Kranjcar? is he fit?

next game is vs. out 2nd place group stages biggest threat, Ukraine.. Shevchenko & co. will be a tough match..
But if we dont want them to accompany England to the World Cup, we better give them our best shot!
We have a great team and a great coach and I hope we can make it!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Croatian National Team Aka Socceroos Mark II :lol:

We practically laughed his ass out of Zagreb. Such a shame, he became a good striker for Australia. Had we not had Suker, Boksic and co.. I`m sure he would have gotten a call up from us.

Our former captain Niko Kovac said goodbye yesterday. Former Barca player, Marc Van Bommel was also there

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
i am big fan of modric i would take him for Barça anyday a swap for hleb plus 4 mill

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Red card (or cards, can`t remember), Capello, players thinking too much of themselves, underestimated England`s desire for revenge. And.. Maksimir had to fall once. We hadn`t lost a game there over 15 years.
Capello is doing a great job. After all the hype in previous years, it`s safe to say that England are a top team European team now. I`d only rate Spain as better.

C

cardigan

a really really strong national team but weren't able to beat my country (Turkey) in EURO 08. i think they will be better with the comeback of Eduardo, they have great players like modric, corluka, kovac, srna, krancjar, rakitic, olic, petric... they are all superstars !! and they have an ambitious manager too...

Home of Barca Fans