Croatia

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Unlikely to happen now. Should have happened after they failed to qualify for WC.
We have few good coaches but Bilic is a media coach and while they don't understand football they hold much sway in what football federation decides.
He is a small man who blames luck, doesn't admit his mistakes and bitches when someone is injured. He is the guy that got Laurent Blanc sent off with that despicable act in World Cup 98 semi-final.

V

Valon

Yeah he should've been sacked after failing to get the team into WC definitely.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Scrappy win in Israel helped with the German ref and now narrow win vs. Norway in a friendly with a below average performance.
We are blessed with a weak group but we're gonna get slaughtered in Euro.

V

Valon

Maybe Bilic will get sacked before Euros?

Hope Croatia gets their mojo back I always loved the football played from you guys.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Croatia squad

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Ivan Kelava (Dinamo Zagreb), Goran Blazevic (Hajduk Split)

Defenders: Domogoj Vida (Dinamo Zagreb), Vedran Corluka (Bayer Leverkusen), Josip Simunic (Dinamo Zagreb), Dejan Lovren (Lyon), Sime Vrsaljko (Dinamo Zagreb), Gordon Schildenfeld (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ivan Strinic (Dnipro), Danijel Pranjic (Bayern Munich), Jurica Buljat (Maccabi Haifa)

Midfielders: Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Tomislav Dujmovic (Real Zaragoza), Ognjen Vukojevic (Dynamo Kiev), Ivan Rakitic (Sevilla), Luka Modric (Tottenham), Ivan Perisic (Borussia Dortmund), Niko Kranjcar (Tottenham), Milan Badelj (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivo Ilicevic (Hamburg)

Forwards: Ivica Olic (Bayern Munich), Nikica Jelavic (Everton), Mario Mandzukic (Wolfsburg), Eduardo (Shakhtar Donetsk), Nikola Kalinic (Dnipro)

Glad to announce that Bilic will be leaving Croatian NT after the Euro.

Yugo Count Dante

Who would you like to manage HR after Bilic leaves?

I really hope for a surprise from them this Euro, Jelavic certainly could make this happen :lol:

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's a done deal. Suker will be president of our football association and Stimac the new manager.
Don't know about Stimac, I am neutral but I will be pleased once Bilic goes.

Would love to feel optimistic about our chances but I can't. It's just a mediocre team nowadays. Maybe I'm being too demanding but we've seen better Croatian teams and the players over the years. The feeling is nothing like 96 Euro or 98 World Cup when we were top 3-5 in the world.

Yugo Count Dante

Well I believe in these kind of tournaments it's not only talent and quality that gets you far... enthusiasms and the will to win for the people back in your country can be more decisive.

If all the players had the same attitude and motivation as Olic they'd certainly be contenders for the final.

I'll make a Montenegro thread later :lol: we have a population under 1 million and somehow managed to get in the top 20 of Eufa list couple of months ago :lol:

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
It's a done deal. Suker will be president of our football association and Stimac the new manager.
Don't know about Stimac, I am neutral but I will be pleased once Bilic goes.

Would love to feel optimistic about our chances but I can't. It's just a mediocre team nowadays. Maybe I'm being too demanding but we've seen better Croatian teams and the players over the years. The feeling is nothing like 96 Euro or 98 World Cup when we were top 3-5 in the world.

It isn't THAT bad of a Croatia team now though. Pletikosa is a decent goalkeeper. Corluka, Simunic, Lovren and Pranjic are all good defenders. In midfield you have Srna, Modric, Kranjcar and Rakitic which again is quite decent. Up front there is Olic, Jelavic, Eduardo and Kalinic which again isn't too bad.

So whilst that Croatia team/squad isn't as good as previous versions, there are still some decent players in that team and certainly can compete against Spain, Italy and Ireland.

Guardian

Ok, that's fun before the Euro :)

Here's what I believe is the best :

Pletikosa
Corluka--Lovren--Schildenfeld/Simunic--Strinic
-------Vukojevic--Dujmovic
Srna----Modric---Rakitic/Perisic
-------Jelavic

Not that bad, really.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Kalinic is poor. But he is Hajduk Split former player and naturally Bilic favors those.
I won't be surprised if we crash out as last placed in the group. Bilic is not a strong persona and there isn't a leader on the pitch like in the olden days or even 5 years ago when an average player like Niko Kovac produced some heroics each time he put on the Croatian shirt. I swear it was like he put a Superman robe on, he gave his heart out each time.
At least with less emotions in and no expectations, it'll be more enjoyable Euro for me.

Home of Barca Fans