Croatia

Sívori

out of topic, but i was thinking: can you guys imagine if yugoslavia was still around as a national team? jesus, what a squad loaded with talent that would be.

Handanovic, Corluka, Vidic, Stankovic, Kolarov, Modric, Dzeko, Srna, Pandev, Vucinic, Misimovic, Subotic, Kuzmanovic, Rakitic etc.... with the likes of bojan (krkic) and ibrahimovic also available for call up.....

:worthy:

now if everyone got along, what a squad that would be.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
The end for us. Managed a scrappy win in Kazahstan (1-2).
Some players said, or will, say goodbye: Kovac, Olic. Few new faces: Mandzukic, Lovren.
Bilic is probably staying, which I don´t like. Used up most of his media space after the Kazahstan match to blame the bad luck and injuries. And the truth is; we played bad for most of the qualifications.

V

Valon

Sad news, I like Croatia. :(

You will bounce back IMO you guys have great players and great coaches as well.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Feel sorry for Croatia, great footballing nation and they did not deserve to miss out in place of Ukraine. That's what irritated me most about our defeat on Saturday. No wya should Ukraine be there next year.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Croatia are still gutted after Euro 2008. They were robbed it's heartbreaking. They've crumbled. It's a shame becasue they are defianetly better than the likes of Denmark, Switzerland and Slovakia and they've all qualified.

desoe

It sux. I like how this team is playing, it's exciting to watch.

World Cup is losing a part of true quality with Croatia. Players like Modric had to be there, they're football in every single touch.

p.s. I remember Croatia's run to the semifinals during the WC 98 in France. God, I was screaming like a croatian when they were scoring in Germany's net :D
Too bad they were unable to hold their advantage against France .. Suker was a huge player, really huge.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. Not a manager who still blames the "luck" for not qualifying. FFS Croatia won 2 points out of possible 12 with England and Ukraine. Team played well 2 years ago because it was a young and hungry group. Now, most of them got sold and made their big buck and the motivation is gone. Sadly, Corluka, Modric, Eduardo made big mistakes by going to England as they haven't improved one bit. The paradox is, Vukojevic, who went to Dinamo Kiev (was their best player at Camp Nou few weeks ago) emerged as our best player.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Croatia need motivation and the motivation isn't there Bilic said at one point he would leave after the 2010 World Cup. No people must have thought I can get away with things because won't be here for much longer. I think Bilic might have backtracked on that statement but they need something extra.

V

Valon

Who's on defence? I assume Vedran and Josip are there but who's gonna be the third?

Man the 1998-2000 team was so exciting to watch.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
Who's on defence? I assume Vedran and Josip are there but who's gonna be the third?

Man the 1998-2000 team was so exciting to watch.

probably a good move as besides these two defenders... croatians dont have a solid backbone

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
The third one, Krizanac (Zenit), is a very good defender. We have 2 youngsters who are lurking. Lovren from Lyon,Vida and possibly Barbaric from domestic league. Former Juve man Knezevic is also there but his career has been plagued with injuries. Central defender places are well rounded off.
I wouldn't agree that our problem is defense. Our DM Vukojevic (Dinamo Kiev's best man at Camp Nou few months ago) is a worthy successor of Niko Kovac. Not as influential but possesses a great stamina and distributes the ball very good.
Srna is our right wing back and you don't get much better than that in football. Dani Alves, Maicon are the only ones I rate better.
5th and last spot in defence is our weakest. Left wing back option with Cale/Pranjic. They have good moments but are unreliable. Pranjic (LM) has been forced to play as LB for us previously and that single thing cost us points in qualifications. It remains to be seen how these guys will work as wing backs.
I have more worries about lazy ass Niko Kranjcar who did produce a nice game vs. Belgium but when you play him it's like playing with one man down.

Home of Barca Fans