Andy Carroll

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Carroll is a good player I think. He definitely has a future at a bigger club in england.

He is the prototype for the english No.9 and thus will always be a success story in england. For the sake of his career though I hope he leaves Newcastle.

Sewelly

I cannot stand this attitude that any decent player MUST move to a 'big' club. Whatever happened to loyalty in the modern game? Also, why is there this constant push for big clubs to simply monopolise talent.

He'd be better off staying here in all honesty.

Koma

I cannot stand this attitude that any decent player MUST move to a 'big' club. Whatever happened to loyalty in the modern game? Also, why is there this constant push for big clubs to simply monopolise talent.

Well every player wants fame and money and they all know that they can get it in a big club. To be honest i also like when i see a player spending his whole carer in a single club, but in a modern game, money is at first place.
Except if you are Xavi, Iniesa, Giggs or Scholes and you play for the biggest clubs in the world, it's not hard for them to spend their whole carer in one place. :)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

although a move away to a bigger club makes him play against biggest defenses of all, regularly

Sewelly

I understand, but it supports the fundamental problem that is wrong with modern day football.

Small clubs must sell to big clubs, and accept their place at the bottom of the pecking order. Big teams must always win, big teams must always have the best players. It's all bollocks to be honest, sometimes I wish teams were able to build something and climb the boring hierachy that exists at the moment. Unfortunately the only way to do that these days is to have an extortionate amount of money pumped into the team.

There was an interview with Carroll before the Chelsea game, where he said he has one aim in his career. Simply to stay with Newcastle, score as many goals as possible and finish his career here as a legend. It's hard to take any footballer's word on this kind of thing, but it would be nice if he was genuine. Can't help but feel he'll be forced out as soon as a juicy offer comes along, though.

Koma

I understand, but it supports the fundamental problem that is wrong with modern day football.

Small clubs must sell to big clubs, and accept their place at the bottom of the pecking order. Big teams must always win, big teams must always have the best players. It's all bollocks to be honest, sometimes I wish teams were able to build something and climb the boring hierachy that exists at the moment. Unfortunately the only way to do that these days is to have an extortionate amount of money pumped into the team.

There was an interview with Carroll before the Chelsea game, where he said he has one aim in his career. Simply to stay with Newcastle, score as many goals as possible and finish his career here as a legend. It's hard to take any footballer's word on this kind of thing, but it would be nice if he was genuine. Can't help but feel he'll be forced out as soon as a juicy offer comes along, though.
That is not completely true. If you want to build something, you need the right people, capable people to do it. It's not about pressure from big clubs and players wanting to go somewhere else, it's about people behind the club. Take Lyon from France for example. In 90' they were a poor club in 2nd or 3rd tier of France League. Then came their curent president and with right management and good transfers he made curently the biggest club in France.
With that in mind, it's hard to imagine that curent Newcastle owner and manager are capable of building something.

Sewelly

Jean-Michel Aulas is a very wealthy businessman who has invested millions and millions of pounds into Lyon, yes the achievement is fantastic and has been achieved through sound business plan, but there has still been significant financial backing to build the team they have today. There are next to no examples of small clubs growing and achieving in modern football, without it being achieved through simply throwing money at the sport. The only success stories I can think of off the top of my head are Villarreal and FC Twente.

I highly doubt we're going to ever build something at the moment, because we're running the club on a shoestring. That said, Hughton has done a fantastic job with the money available and signing players like Tiote and Ben Arfa with next to no budget, it would be interesting to see what we'd end up with a bit more investment. There's never going to be that investment there with Ashley though.

Mhorf

Good for Andy Carroll if he does stay at Newcastle and become a legend.

Why were there rumours about Hughton possibly losing his job? He seems to be doing really well.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

Two words............Alan Shearer

Shearer was a fool.......he could have won all the medals possible but through his own stupidity thought he'd make Newcastle a power. Well he failed miserably and I don't want to see Carroll make the same mistake.

Shearer only has one medal to show for his talent as a striker - and he won that at Blackburn.

Home of Barca Fans