FIFA/FIFPro World XI 2010

Guardian

The worldwide players’ union FIFPro and FIFA today announced the 55 players shortlisted for the FIFA/FIPro World XI 2010 (see full list below), which is to be revealed at the FIFA Ballon d’Or gala in Zurich on 10 January 2011.

The 50,000 professional footballers belonging to the players’ unions across the world that form FIFPro received voting forms in a secret ballot to nominate their peers for inclusion in their World XI – choosing the best four defenders, three midfielders, three forwards and goalkeeper of 2010.

World champions Spain lead the way with the most players in the shortlist with ten, followed by nine from Brazil, eight from Argentina, six from England, four from Germany, three each from the Netherlands and Italy, two from Portugal and one each from Uruguay, Wales, France, Bulgaria, Serbia, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Ghana, the Ivory Coast and Cameroon.

Spain’s Primera Division attracted the most nominees with 18, followed by England’s Premier League with 17 and Italy’s Serie A with 15. Four nominees came from Germany’s Bundesliga and one from France’s Ligue 1.

The final FIFA/FIFPro World XI will be announced at the FIFA Ballon d’Or gala in the Zurich Kongresshaus on 10 January 2011. During this televised gala, the winner of the FIFA Ballon d’Or for the best player of 2010 and the FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year 2010 award will also be revealed. Meanwhile, the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Men’s Football award and the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Women’s Football award will be presented for the first time, while the FIFA Puskas Award for the best goal of the year will be announced for the second year running. The FIFA Presidential Award and the FIFA Fair Play Award will also be presented during the gala.

The 55-player shortlist in full:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy, Juventus FC), Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Petr Cech (Czech Republic, Chelsea FC), Julio Cesar (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands, Manchester United FC)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Brazil, FC Barcelona), Gareth Bale (Wales, Tottenham Hotspur), Michel Bastos (Brazil, Olympique Lyonnais), Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea FC), Patrice Evra (France, Manchester United FC), Rio Ferdinand (England, Manchester United FC), Philipp Lahm (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Lucio (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Maicon (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid C.F.), Alessandro Nesta (Italy, AC Milan), Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid C.F.), Gerard Pique (Spain, FC Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Spain, FC Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Walter Samuel (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), John Terry (England, Chelsea FC), Thiago Silva (Brazil, AC Milan), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia, Manchester United FC), Javier Zanetti (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale)

Midfielders: Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), Michael Essien (Ghana, Chelsea FC), Cesc Fabregas (Spain, Arsenal FC), Steven Gerrard (England, Liverpool FC), Andres Iniesta (Spain, FC Barcelona), Ricardo Kaka (Brazil, Real Madrid C.F.), Frank Lampard (England, Chelsea FC), Javier Mascherano (Argentina, FC Barcelona), Thomas Muller (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Mesut Ozil (Germany, Real Madrid C.F.), Andrea Pirlo (Italy, AC Milan), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands, F.C. Internazionale), Xabi Alonso (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Xavi (Spain, FC Barcelona)

Forwards: Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria, Manchester United FC) :lol:, Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast, Chelsea FC), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon, F.C. Internazionale), Diego Forlán (Uruguay, Atletico Madrid), Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina, Real Madrid C.F.), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, AC Milan), Lionel Messi (Argentina, FC Barcelona), Diego Milito (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), Arjen Robnben (Netherlands, FC Bayern München), Ronaldinho (Brazil, AC Milan), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid C.F.), Wayne Rooney (England, Manchester United FC), Carlos Tevez (Argentina, Manchester City FC), Fernando Torres (Spain, Liverpool FC), David Villa (Spain, FC Barcelona)
So this is the list. Why on hell there are players such as Berbatov, Buffon, Kaka? Anyway...typical FIFA shitness.... Who should be in the first eleven? My choice:
------Casillas
Maicon--Pique--Vidic--Bale
--------Cambiasso
-----Xavi--Sneijder---
Messi--Eto'o--Ronaldo

I had only doubts for the DM spot, because Xabi and Essien were tremendous, but the injuries of the latter one and the performances of Cambiasso for Inter convinced me to choose the Argie. Of course Maicon was thorn apart by Bale, but I don't draw my conclusions by these two games only. And Bale is not a left back but since he's listed as defender it should be ok.

heck, this is my first topic from quite long time :)

Last edited:

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
This list is utter bullshit

The Netherlands finished SECOND on the World Cup and only 2 players of the team are in? While players who were injured the entire year are included? This is just bullshit.

No Stekelenburg? DISGRACE. Stekelenburg>Cech, Buffon and Van der Sar.

Van der Vaart>Kaka

Huntelaar>Berba

Van der Wiel>Bastos, Marcelo,

Van Bommel>Lampard or Gerrard (were shit last year)

At LEAST Those changes to make the list seen even a BIT decent.

My team:

Stekelenburg
Maicon - Puyol - Pique - Lahm
Cambiasso
Xavi - Sneijder
Messi - Forlan - Robben​

Last edited:

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
This is indeed the best in 2010 but thinking about it,attack of Robben-Messi-Ronaldo in one team may end up being the worst attack in the last decade

Exactly.... no real striker. That is why I put Forlan in in my team. Crynaldo out.

J

Jordzibob

I know. :lol:

Casillas
Maicon Piqué Lucio Cashley
Xavi Cambiasso Sneijder
Robben Messi Ronaldo​

Considering the fact that Robben doesnt like to pass the ball as it is, Ronaldo woudlnt pass to Messi because he wants to prove he can do it all himself, that is the most attacking defensive line up you could have Lucio and Pique both love to get forward as does Maicon and Ashley the Weasel doesnt mind it either, it probably woudlnt work out. Awesome midfield though. That's in the context of making them work together, as a pick of best players its great.......

Fully prepared to be owned by Meta here. *Mas Mas, Bring it on!* :lol:

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Exactly.... no real striker. That is why I put Forlan in in my team. Crynaldo out.

Robben is just a slightly worse version of Ronaldo though?

Just as selfish...
Just as fast.
Not two footed.
Not as Strong
Not as good in the air
Much more injury prone.

I know who i'd rather have in my team.

Trequartista

The good

not for that reason,Messi has been playing as a Real striker with Barcelona,even when he drops to act as false number ine,Ronaldo can exploit the sapce left behind but the idea or 3 selfish strikers,The Trio use to play with the rest of the team serving them,The Trio are the leaders of their teams,Their teams mainly depend on them(scoring wise),and then competetion at who becoming the real leader of the team,not a tempting attack at all

Last edited:
J

Jordzibob

Robben is just a slightly worse version of Ronaldo though?

Just as selfish...
Just as fast.
Not two footed.
Not as Strong
Not as good in the air
Much more injury prone.

I know who i'd rather have in my team.

Add dives alot

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Considering the fact that Robben doesnt like to pass the ball as it is, Ronaldo woudlnt pass to Messi because he wants to prove he can do it all himself, that is the most attacking defensive line up you could have Lucio and Pique both love to get forward as does Maicon and Ashley the Weasel doesnt mind it either, it probably woudlnt work out. Awesome midfield though. That's in the context of making them work together, as a pick of best players its great.......

Fully prepared to be owned by Meta here. *Mas Mas, Bring it on!* :lol:

Robben and Ronaldo are both the same type of player, in terms of being selfish douchebags with a "IWANNASCOREAGOALEVERYATTACK!" attitude. when playing as inverted wingers, that is.

Messi, however, is completely different. his ability and skill to set play and find passing angles would facilitate R&R's egocentric behaviour and they would score goals for funsies. I mean seriously.

and that's ignoring the potential for them to switch flanks and act as more orthodox wide threats (which they are capable of). really a more balanced lineup would remove Cristiano for Villa or Eto'o (Forlan, at his best, performs a similar role to Messi as a false9/#10 - and Higuain can't hold the ball up) but Lio, R&R are by far and away the finest forwards over the past year.

Lucio and Piqué are the finest CB's in the year 2010. Lucio likes to get forward, especially on a break, but has the discipline to stay back. so does Piqué (if he can play sweeper CB alongside Puyol then he can do it with anyone) they would be a great pairing I think.

Cashley and Maicon love to get forward, but Cashley is a stellar defender and will stay at home if need be. Maicon is a bit of a problem but, again, he was the best RB in 2010 and deserves a slot here. his power running would be deadly as he charges head-long in the vaccuum created by Robben's inward run. prepare for doooooooom! Piqué is also a god at sweeping up spaces left by a forward-running right back, and then Cucho can play CB if he needs to drop back and make it a 3.

it's not the PERFECT team, but it's the best team you could put together while being faithful to the finest players over the last year for club and country.

NickoH

You see, nobody ever goes in... and nobody ever co
Casillas
Alves-Pique-Lucio-Cole
Xavi-Alonso-Iniesta
Messi-Higuain-Ronaldo

X

xaviniesta

buffon, berbatov, torres, zlatan, ronnie, gerrard, pirlo and kaka doesnt deserve to be in this list.

and why there are so many players in that overrated/hyped premier league i dont understand, there was only 2 players in WC final (kuyt and Rvp) and nobody in CL final. and in Ballon dor list there was only gyan,drog and cesc.

---------------iker---------------

---dani---lucio--pique----lahm--

-----------schweini--------------

--------xavi--------sneijder-----

-------------messi---------------
----forlan-------------milito-----

if its up to me i wpuld put pedro in that list too, still only player to score in all 6 copetitions in one year, he had amazing season and he also played in WC final (who could have thought about that 1 year ago)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans