Better away than at Camp Nou

Bionicman

Odd factoid that probably won't last but is nonetheless amusing to me: even before the beatdown on Almeria, this year's Barcelona had more points, more goals scored, and fewer goals conceded in their away matches than at Camp Nou. This hasn't happened in any season from 2001/2002 onwards (that's as far as the ESPN database goes). In 2003/2004, Barcelona had the same number of points home and away, but scored more and conceded fewer at home.

Anyone want to take a guess as to why? The bad turf was a factor for the first three home games, but still.

gingerless

really don't know, maybe it was the pitch that fucked us overall because since it's been redone we've been doing better

Ocurrente

maybe it is because, when we play away from home, our rivals feel forced to go forward because they're at home, giving us space, but in Camp Nou they just park the bus.

Bionicman

In the time since my post, this trend surprisingly hasn't changed. Barcelona is scoring a goal per game more in away matches, as well as conceding less. After the Deportivo match, Pique stated, “We are more motivated and concentrated when playing away from home.” I'll take Pique's word for it, though I have to wonder why this hasn't manifested in the last two years.

(I know it's bad form to bump an old topic of yours, but it's better than creating a new thread for the same purpose.)

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
In the time since my post, this trend surprisingly hasn't changed. Barcelona is scoring a goal per game more in away matches, as well as conceding less. After the Deportivo match, Pique stated, “We are more motivated and concentrated when playing away from home.” I'll take Pique's word for it, though I have to wonder why this hasn't manifested in the last two years.

(I know it's bad form to bump an old topic of yours, but it's better than creating a new thread for the same purpose.)

This sounds strange....imo, it would make a lot more sense to be more motivated when playing at the Camp Nou.

F

Flavia

maybe it is because, when we play away from home, our rivals feel forced to go forward because they're at home, giving us space, but in Camp Nou they just park the bus.

I think that's the reason too.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
One would think since Nou Camp is bigger than other grounds that it would give us extra advantage in creating opportunities but that, obviously, is not as decisive as we are not exactly utilizing our flanks. It's just not part of our style.
But still, we only slipped twice so it's really too small a sample to make any definite judgements.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
away games are important, but has anyone notice we have not won any away games in the UCL 09/10 knockout stage? Found it a bit weird if you ask me. Anyways away and home games both add us 3 points (if we win) in the league so I'm happy with results :)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans