How could I explain the rivalry?

J

Janthefall

I have seen a lot of new football fans(mostly girls) after Spain won the World Cup, I don't mind at all but they keep coming to me with "I support both Barca and Madrid"
I've explained to them in every way I could. Gave them a brief history, gave them links to the history and just by telling them that a Cule would not in any way like Madrid.
They just won't listen to me.
I was wondering if I could get your straight up honest opinions on people that say they support these two BIG rivals.
Maybe if I show them what you guys write they'll get it through their head. I guess the fact that my family grew up in Argentina surrounded by football doesn't mean anything.

[I hope I posted this in the right place]

XaviMessiGirl

The thing is, most of these people aren't Barca or Madrid supporters, or even football fans really, they just like hot guys. :lol: I can guarantee it, I see a lot of it in another community I'm in.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Just tell them that if they want to be real football fans, then they should follow one and not the other, it their jst gloryhunters they can do as they please.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I have seen a lot of new football fans(mostly girls) after Spain won the World Cup, I don't mind at all but they keep coming to me with "I support both Barca and Madrid"
I've explained to them in every way I could. Gave them a brief history, gave them links to the history and just by telling them that a Cule would not in any way like Madrid.
They just won't listen to me.
I was wondering if I could get your straight up honest opinions on people that say they support these two BIG rivals.
Maybe if I show them what you guys write they'll get it through their head. I guess the fact that my family grew up in Argentina surrounded by football doesn't mean anything.

[I hope I posted this in the right place]

These people aren't supporters of any kind, they clearly don't understand the game and after a while their transient interest will inevitably fade. Ignore them.

gingerless

they probably don't follow football either at all or closely, if/when you do this....say you read/hear a madrid/barcelona fan's opinion on things and think it's biased you will start taking sides. ofcourse having your favourite player in one of the sides also determines who you follow but what really makes u a fierce fan is what you hear about the rivals and all the wrongdoings they've done (supposedly)

once this happens there's no turning back, you're only with one side and you won't even think of supporting the other

J

Janthefall

Thanks for the answers! I've tried to ignore it..trust me. I hope y'all don't mind if I share some of your answers.

XaviMessiGirl

One of my favorite footballers is on Madrid (Xabi Alonso, although granted he used to be on Liverpool), but it doesn't mean I'm going to support Madrid because of him. Now I just support him when he's on the Spanish national team and that's it.

That's how it works. Team > individual.

koko

most football fans dont understand rivalry as these days people follow teams from all over the world and have no real connection to the clubs..... to know a rivalry you have to live it every day only then can it have any real meaning....most people who just start liking a random club suddenly start to "hate" the rival but its not organic there no real feeling or emotion behind it its just what theyre supposed to do so they do it

Bergkamp10

most football fans dont understand rivalry as these days people follow teams from all over the world and have no real connection to the clubs..... to know a rivalry you have to live it every day only then can it have any real meaning....most people who just start liking a random club suddenly start to "hate" the rival but its not organic there no real feeling or emotion behind it its just what theyre supposed to do so they do it

this. Can't understand arsenal fans not from london 'hating' spurs. I hate them because I've been grown up to hate them. I've been to school with spurs fans, I work with spurs fan, I've had fights with spurs fans and it just comes naturally. I went to my first NLD when i was 7 and knew I hated spurs and have ever since. But then you get someone who started supporting arsenal in 2004 saying 'i hate spurs', i don't get why they do. It's purely a local thing. I was born to support arsenal and hate spurs and ever since i've grown up my dad drilled it into me to hate them so the hates grown. Losing to them yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. And then i get these posh dicks around me at the emirates pretending to support arsenal spitting out their cream cheese and salmon bagels in anger and wondering why 'terry henry' hasn't come on yet and i just don't get it.

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
^ Exactly the reason why I hate spurs and arsenal, having grown up in London and mixing with them on a daily basis at school, college etc. It's just the way I've grown up as a kid and getting abuse from them :D

I love your last sentence though :lol: :D

N

nina

I don´t really share your opinion. I´m a Barcelona fan, not a Real fan and i respect the rivalty between those two clubs.
But if Real Madrid wasn´t playing on such a high level, La Liga would be nothing but boring. Barcelona AND Real make this league.

To me this rivalty and "hate" for each other is only real when you grew up with one of those clubs or in one of those regions.
I totally understood the rivalty by reading and hearing about the clubs histories and rivalty, but still that doesn't make me FEEL the rivalty inside of me.

Someone telling me to hate Real Madrid, because of this and that and because I have to is not going to work for me, sorry.

But that doesn´t make me an average fangirl that is in love with Messi AND Ronaldo (nuh uh, not at all, believe me).
My reason for not liking Real Madrid is all the fancy poshness that they represent, but still I do respect their efforts to keep La Liga interesting and exciting to watch. But rivalty - I leave that one to the clubs and their regional fans that grew up with them.

XaviMessiGirl

I hate Real as an institution in addition to them being Barca's rivals. I could have been a Valencia fan or some other La Liga club and I'd still hate Real.

Koma

If someone tells you they support both Real and Barca, it's obvious that they are either stupid or do not follow footbal at all. That's it. ;)

Home of Barca Fans