Fernando Torres

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad about his injuries as he would have had way more goals by now. His strike rate is not that much worse than Drogba's this season.

barca96

i guess every player goes through that kind of period once in a while.
like 1-2 years injuries here and there. after that.....

B

blueduck

Didn't he say recently that, if he was to leave, he wouldn't want to go back to Spain? Could be wrong, though.

Co0ter

He's only been back from injury for a few weeks?! Needs at least a little time hehe

Still think he's a great player and one of the best at what he does but he needs to change clubs before being considered "completely" world class.

beef-supreme

Yeah of course his fitness is the reason for his lack of form most of the time but then surely he can't be a top 5 player if most of his life is spent in the treatment room. Sure, he's got top 5 talent, and i think that yes it is arguable that he is top 5 based on his goalscoring ratio. But as an asset to a squad it is often questionable, for example if Liverpool had a less prolific but more consistent and fit striker, perhaps they would have done better this season. Also I will continue to argue that the EPL is the only league Torres can be world class in.

Co0ter

Also I will continue to argue that the EPL is the only league Torres can be world class in.

The fact that he is so injury prone doesn't change the fact that he has been phenomenal for Liverpool when he is fit. You got to measure him when he is fit and give credit accordingly. Is he best for Liverpool (or any team) due to his injuries tho? That's a different story.

I don't agree that he can only play in the EPL. He was still young back in Madrid and didn't work with a good coach until Liverpool. Rafa has made him into a much better player- that much is evident. I do think that switching leagues and performing well would do a great deal with his reputation though.

beef-supreme

Indeed, but a striker that's good only when fit isn't much use tbf. If that were true then Vicente who is/was phenomenally talented and good when fit would be considered a top player, and yet, correctly, this is not the case.
His scoring record in La Liga wasn't great and I think he is the achilles heel of the Spanish national team as well - i just don't see him performing well without the speed and space he is given in England.

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
Yeah of course his fitness is the reason for his lack of form most of the time but then surely he can't be a top 5 player if most of his life is spent in the treatment room. Sure, he's got top 5 talent, and i think that yes it is arguable that he is top 5 based on his goalscoring ratio. But as an asset to a squad it is often questionable, for example if Liverpool had a less prolific but more consistent and fit striker, perhaps they would have done better this season. Also I will continue to argue that the EPL is the only league Torres can be world class in.

Same goes for Zlaten in Italy.

beef-supreme

[/B]

Same goes for Zlaten in Italy.

What does that have to do with anything?
:lol:

Also what Zlatan did in the first half of the seaosn was world class, perhaps he will be able to demonstrate it again. Moreover, Zlatan is a fundamental asset for the Swedish national team

Co0ter

The main reason Villa has/had so much space in international games, clearly in the Euro Cup, is because Torres commanded so much presence. To be honest, Villa wasn't anywhere nearly as internationally known until the last Euro Cup. It will be differen't come this World Cup, hopefully both are fit and we get to see and measure them fairly. Then again if your not Spanish, like me, maybe we dont want them both fit? :p

FYI- I'm Brasilian and am cheering for Brasil/USA, but I wont lie that half of my favorite players are on Spain and I love their team lol

Home of Barca Fans