Luis Enrique

BBZ8800

Laporta wanted to break world record for Pogba as his solution and signed Ibra for 70m with Etoo thrown and Chyg for 25m in his last transfer window.

He is not what is needed and is not what the recent success is all about.

That's Laporta from final years.
Early Laporta was better and wiser.

Total-Football

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
dude .. you are (unintentionally) the funniest poster here .. :lol:

instead of saying you ve had enough of average footballers you here rumbling about players of a certain height, writing a good deal of info about that, just to say no it's not about height in your concluding comment ! :lol:

BBZ8800

Laporta was huge in the recovery of Barca and helped lay the foundations no doubt.

Not what the club needs now at all.

Well, fast forward a few years.
If we'll spend 50m for Gomes, Ballerinna and similar, we can easily get into huge debts and not win trophies.

More or less, early 2000's.

Also, remove Messi from this story and I think that a current board can long term easily match "Gaspart's level".

khaled_a_d

He also keep backing Lucho and this Barcelona football despite believing in a different type of football.

Xavi just backs the team/coach whichever way he finds. It's not a testament of his coaching ability.

Yeah, but I don't know what it is a testament of coaching ability. Xavi was great player but it doesn't mean he will be great coach even if some of his coach gave him such compliment. More importantly he doesn't need to be rushed. Pep played in many clubs abroad,take sometime off and then coached Barca B. people want Xavi to come next summer or something which is crazy IMHO.

JamDav1982

Well, fast forward a few years.
If we'll spend 50m for Gomes, Ballerinna and similar, we can easily get into huge debts and not win trophies.

More or less, early 2000's.

Also, remove Messi from this story and I think that s current board can long term easily match "Gaspart's level".

Just as could get in debt signing Ibra for 70m, Chyg for 25m or Pogba for a world record fee.

No need to remove Messi from the story though as he is at club and that is something this board and Laporta had the advantage of.

Nothing like Gaspart level when have just won a treble and a double. No teams last forever. All need rebuilt and that time looks to have come for this lot. Not one team in history have ever beaten that.

The issue now is can they get the rebuild right as they did in 2014.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yeah, but I don't know what it is a testament of coaching ability. Xavi was great player but it doesn't mean he will be great coach even if some of his coach gave him such compliment. More importantly he doesn't need to be rushed. Pep played in many clubs abroad,take sometime off and then coached Barca B. people want Xavi to come next summer or something which is crazy IMHO.

Obviously, he might be a great coach or a total bust.

All I said is that a comment like that in 2013 doesn't mean anything. Xavi makes such comments backing most of his coaches even if he doesn't agree with the type of football played.

Xavi should take a year or two out and visit coaches like Pep, Conte, Ancelotti and heck even Mourinho like Zidane did. He can learn something from each and everyone of them.

Then he should start from the B team.

Earliest I see Xavi coaching Barca is 2021, but more likely 2023.

Earliest Pique can become President is 2027/2025 if early elections and he retires in 2023. So it might play out that way.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Could be totally wrong but something about Xavi just doesnt ring right about him having the charisma to manage the way Pep did.

In reality it can be quite a boring structured way to play and need someone at the helm that makes it exciting and forces you to buy into it.

Xavi feels a bit more like Tito. Good ideas but seems a bit less exciting.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Could be totally wrong but something about Xavi just doesnt ring right about him having the charisma to manage the way Pep did.

In reality it can be quite a boring structured way to play and need someone at the helm that makes it exciting and forces you to buy into it.

Xavi feels a bit more like Tito. Good ideas but seems a bit less exciting.

I think Xavi just because of the player he was will inspire and get any Catalan/Barca Youth footballer or a young player to buy into what he wants.

Like Zidane in Real Madrid who command absolutely respect although you can say he was more charismatic than Xavi.

We don't know though so just have to see when that time comes.

Barcilliant

I think Xavi just because of the player he was will inspire and get any Catalan/Barca Youth footballer or a young player to buy into what he wants.

Like Zidane in Real Madrid who command absolutely respect although you can say he was more charismatic than Xavi.

We don't know though so just have to see when that time comes.

LoL Xavi!!!!!

This is the problem with the club. The unwillingness to look beyond BARCA DNA.

Xavi would be a disaster. We would have 11 midgets on the field playing backwards and sideways passes.

After we get thrashed by a well organised physical side Xavi would declare we were the superior side because of our possession.

Please, please wake up people.

khaled_a_d

LoL Xavi!!!!!

This is the problem with the club. The unwillingness to look beyond BARCA DNA.

Xavi would be a disaster. We would have 11 midgets on the field playing backwards and sideways passes.

After we get thrashed by a well organised physical side Xavi would declare we were the superior side because of our possession.

Please, please wake up people.

You do know that Donak isn't the really Barca president,right? :bartomeu:

Barcilliant

This may be kneejerk, but I can only trust the evidence and circumstances apparent to me.

I believe that this is most likely the end for Barcelona's cycle. Barca bounced back from the post 2012 decline to win another treble, but I think this time our fall will be more permanent. It might sound like all doom and gloom but I'm basing this on one assumption:

The club will continue to be run in the same way and that there will be no major change in the approach to the sporting project.

If the above assumption is true, which I am 80-90% sure of, then it's only logical to assume that the club is destined for decline. After all, with the state of this squad/tactics there is a massive need for change to the sporting project from the top down.

The club sticking to their methodology means that Unzue is most likely to be the next manager, which would be a continuation of the glaring failures of the current project. The alternative, Valverde, does not bring much hope either as he is conservative and the rebuilding demands are likely above his abilities/intuition. I simply don't see him bringing any real change either. As far as transfers are concerned, I strongly expect us to not properly address the issues in defense or midfield. Iniesta is past it, Rakitic is struggling, and the rest are abysmal. Only Busquets would make it into an *ideal* version of next season's team. Our midfield is in total ruins, and what's the solution? Keeping Gomes? Buying Coutinho? Lol. Our midfield is shit and I would put money that it stays shit. If we switch back to 4-3-3, we need a RB: the only 'supposed' option is Bellerin who is trash. If we stay with 3-4-3 we need a CB because Mascherano is shit. Signings that could potentially 180 our situation (like Verratti) are simply not happening; if anything Verratti will be even more attracted to Juve after this thrashing is finalized over two legs. Signing Dybala/Dembele while the rest of our squad clearly suffers like this will fix nothing, and only waste career years for those players having come here hoping for success. Current key players like Messi/Pique/Busi are nearing their declining years as well, and they will no longer be able to hold up the team as they have. The transfer hurdles that Barca have to overcome to make this squad able to compete over the next few years with the likes of Bayern/Juve/RM are very high.

The only reliable way for Barca to rise up once more is for a serious diversion from the path that the club is currently taking, and there is NO ONE in a position of power who can/will induce this. With the current board, Robert won't be fired. With all of the (undeserved) power that Robert has, the new coach will be limited to Unzue/Valverde and the transfers will continue to be in the vain that we've seen. There simply is no force for change in the club at the moment, my optimism for the next few years is miniscule at best.

My thoughts exactly

Home of Barca Fans