Luis Enrique

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to argue with it. They spent a lot last summer and will finish lower than the last season.
Would work out great for us though if Lucho comes back as an assistant.

Beast

The Observer
It's an example of how different it is to create a system from scratch , just because you add to a team that play the same way from youth to first team doesn't make you a genius manager outside of it .

really interested to see if Pep can cut it outside Barcelona

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
It's an example of how different it is to create a system from scratch , just because you add to a team that play the same way from youth to first team doesn't make you a genius manager outside of it .

I think that part of that drive to "create a system from scratch" has to do with expectations. If you're hiring someone to "win now" or "improve now" then setting up that system directly conflicts with the "win now" mantra ... unless you have hundreds of millions of Euros/Pounds to spend. Roman once famously asked Txiki how long it would take to re-create the system that FCB has and Txiki responded "10 years".

10 years is a hell of a long time to go without winning before you could "probably" see results. And even then, the bumper crop of talented players that Barca produced just happened to be world class, "once-in-a-generation" type players. You can't predict that the players you nurture for 10 years will all come out ready to take the world by storm.

as for Pep, I think his "grand experiement" this year shows that he's capable of mixing tactics and players to succeed outside of Barcelona. He just needs the right type of players.

B

barcelonista

Pep is surely not stupid enough to believe he could play tiki-taka with a team like Roma or Chelsea (AVB) and get results like Barcelona. He'd choose his next team accordingly and coach a team that is capable enough to fit his philosophy, like Arsenal, Dortmund or City and not Chelsea, Inter or Roma. Although I don't think he'll ever coach another big club. Maybe a midtable team in Italy and then come back to Barcelona.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
I think that part of that drive to "create a system from scratch" has to do with expectations. If you're hiring someone to "win now" or "improve now" then setting up that system directly conflicts with the "win now" mantra ... unless you have hundreds of millions of Euros/Pounds to spend. Roman once famously asked Txiki how long it would take to re-create the system that FCB has and Txiki responded "10 years".

10 years is a hell of a long time to go without winning before you could "probably" see results. And even then, the bumper crop of talented players that Barca produced just happened to be world class, "once-in-a-generation" type players. You can't predict that the players you nurture for 10 years will all come out ready to take the world by storm.

as for Pep, I think his "grand experiement" this year shows that he's capable of mixing tactics and players to succeed outside of Barcelona. He just needs the right type of players.

Irv , the spent and spent good last summer

They didn't even improve , they did the exact opposite

compare them to PSG (who did the same , Malaga , City ) .. Lucho has failed big time

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
Irv , the spent and spent good last summer

They didn't even improve , they did the exact opposite

compare them to PSG (who did the same , Malaga , City ) .. Lucho has failed big time

absolutely agree ... but there is a difference between spending and spending properly (see Liverpool). and there is a difference between trying to get square players to fit in to an octogon system.

I'm not justifying Lucho or defending him (personally I want him to get fired so that he can come back to Barca and help Tito), I'm just saying you don't implement a system as complex as Barca's in one year. it's why so many players have difficulties coming in to the system and adapting.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
absolutely agree ... but there is a difference between spending and spending properly (see Liverpool). and there is a difference between trying to get square players to fit in to an octogon system.

I'm not justifying Lucho or defending him (personally I want him to get fired so that he can come back to Barca and help Tito), I'm just saying you don't implement a system as complex as Barca's in one year. it's why so many players have difficulties coming in to the system and adapting.

The Barca system cannot work in EPL or Serie A because of the differences in cultural, physical and tactical nuances of each country and its league.

Of course you can use that system as a template, as many clubs are doing (like chelsea, ourselves, roma, whoever) and then use that template to optimize it towards the ideal for that particular club in that country.

Maria

I don't know how much you watched Barca B last year and Roma this year, but LE's failures have been exactly the same: the atack was poorly built, which meant that a lot of space was left behind and his teams were left vulnerable at counter-atacks..and considering what CBs he has at Roma I'm not surprised of how many goals they received. The only difference between Barca B and Roma was the number of goals these 2 teams scored(Barca B had Soriano and Nolito last year and we were the team that scored the most goals). Also LE preffered a more direct style at Barca B then the first team..

In my opinion LE and Pep have nothing in common, appart from the fact that they coached Barca B..so if you want to put Pep's qualities as a coach under doubt, a comparison with Cruyff or even AVB would be more suited.

The Barca system cannot work in EPL or Serie A because of the differences in cultural, physical and tactical nuances of each country and its league.

Of course you can use that system as a template, as many clubs are doing (like chelsea, ourselves, roma, whoever) and then use that template to optimize it towards the ideal for that particular club in that country.

Conte says otherwise..and I actually think that it would work very good in Serie A and I could see Pep at Inter more then at Chelsea(for example). What Pep and Conte have in common is that they identified a player(Xavi or Pirlo) and build a solid defense around him(and marginalized those players who could have undermined them). LE tried to do the same thing with DDR, but his system failed miserably because he didn't think about the defensive part(and about Totti).

Also I would like to say that I don't want to see LE at Barca purely because I hope we will have more deffensive stability then this year..although if the rumours are true and Tito is more of a tactician, he will need someone to connect with the players and there LE could be better.

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Agreed, Maria. Luis Enrique would be perfect in the role of Assistant-Manager, especially when it comes to man-management and his relationship with the players, particularly the senior ones.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Sky Sport Italia says Lucho told the players he's leaving at the end of the season. Hope he comes to be Tito's assistant.

Home of Barca Fans