Luis Enrique

Barcilliant

We still haven't won anything yet but it's good to eat humble pie. The team is looking much better and Lucho deserves credit for that. So does Messi.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Lucho looks like he has the tactics sorted.

We look like we could murder any team on the counter attack. Perhaps that's because of the talent of our front line in 1 v 1 situations. Will be interesting to see how he approaches Man City, if he goes for more control (like Tata did) or faster intensity ( which worked against Atletico).

Lomar1o

Lucho looks like he has the tactics sorted.

We look like we could murder any team on the counter attack. Perhaps that's because of the talent of our front line in 1 v 1 situations. Will be interesting to see how he approaches Man City, if he goes for more control (like Tata did) or faster intensity ( which worked against Atletico).

if messi plays like he's been playing recently city's gonna get smashed

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I love the brilliance in the attacking third, there's no question about it - beautiful attacking football is finally back...But the lack of control as evidenced by how often the Basques were a threat to score remains a concern

Definition of Barca controlled football was Pep, no? If I got the stats right, he won twice in 5 matches at San Mames.
And Lucho's Barca not only marked bigger win than either of Pep's, but also CREATED more than Pep's teams.

Control means shit if you don't create opportunities.

leon

I had a theory that Lucho did "shitty" rotation in the early part of the season, so that his main squad will be fresher and get into gear when the more crucial part comes. As it happened to us in recent seasons that we seem always dropped form when it comes January and we paid dearly for that. Actually it was more like my wishful thought that it was what Lucho had in mind and he was a real visioner. Now here we are, it becomes more and more realistic :cheers:. Whatever it was, just so happy what is happening with us now (and with RM as well :neymar:)

EdmondDantes

Credit where credit is due; he has been very astute in the last few weeks. He's assimilating to the magnitude of Barca more and more, he's a great coach he just needs to be competent in the other facets that his position entails. He's getting there and I'm learning to like him.

Kohe321

Definition of Barca controlled football was Pep, no? If I got the stats right, he won twice in 5 matches at San Mames.
And Lucho's Barca not only marked bigger win than either of Pep's, but also CREATED more than Pep's teams.

Exactly, the "goal" in football is to create chances and score goals, not possession itself. That would be a different sport all together, and why it was so infuriating to listen to Xavi saying "but we had more possession" after Bayern crushed us 4-0. Lucho has us controlling more space but less off the ball, inviting a more open game. It's faster, a lot more effective and simply way more exciting to watch. Our players are just beating the opposition in every facet of the game, and looking so confident and willing to fight while doing it. Gone is the lack of energy and the "excuse me, but here's a tackle" style we had before.

In the last couple of years we often cracked whenever we faced a tough situation, the players looked lost if we met someone who could disrupt our game just through shear intensity. If we couldn't win games at our own leisurely pace, it didn't happen - if we conceded a goal to a more intense side, we just sort of gave up. I love that under Lucho we can concede a goal, but just keep on fighting like nothing happened for 90 minutes and pull out a victory. We met Atleticos intensity at the Calderon and actually topped it at times as well. That shows a complete change in toughness and mentality, our players are playing like real men. Something has changed in Barca, and I really really like it.

The way we have been playing since that fateful night against Real Sociedad is great, and it wasn't just a short burst of good form. Lucho is actually turning this around. The 2-5 yesterday was one of the best games I've seen in a long, long time. Perhaps the best of the season, even besting the Atletico games.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Agreed.

The good thing about it is that it isn't just purely discarding style for results. We're playing some darn sexy football despite not having as much control as previously. Perhaps this was what Tata was trying to achieve before he gave up.

Kohe321

Yes, and the important thing is to not think of possession as being synonymous to control. The Bayern defeats and countless other games in the past seasons show that this is far from being the truth. We need to throw that way of thinking in the bin, and we are now.

There are many ways to control a match, one being to control space, and using some possession to build up attacks intelligently. Note that this doesn't mean discarding the triangle-passing and tiki-taka, which we did a lot yesterday, but it's about not passing backwards and sideways in an attempt to milk minutes with the ball, as if that alone wins you matches. :)

As an example: I just watched one of my favorite games, the 6-2 against RM in 2009, and the way we played in this game is much more similar to the game yesterday than to any game we've played the last couple of years under the "possession" style.

Last edited:

Empty

Exactly, the "goal" in football is to create chances and score goals, not possession itself. That would be a different sport all together, and why it was so infuriating to listen to Xavi saying "but we had more possession" after Bayern crushed us 4-0. Lucho has us controlling more space but less off the ball, inviting a more open game. It's faster, a lot more effective and simply way more exciting to watch. Our players are just beating the opposition in every facet of the game, and looking so confident and willing to fight while doing it. Gone is the lack of energy and the "excuse me, but here's a tackle" style we had before.

In the last couple of years we often cracked whenever we faced a tough situation, the players looked lost if we met someone who could disrupt our game just through shear intensity. If we couldn't win games at our own leisurely pace, it didn't happen - if we conceded a goal to a more intense side, we just sort of gave up. I love that under Lucho we can concede a goal, but just keep on fighting like nothing happened for 90 minutes and pull out a victory. We met Atleticos intensity at the Calderon and actually topped it at times as well. That shows a complete change in toughness and mentality, our players are playing like real men. Something has changed in Barca, and I really really like it.

The way we have been playing since that fateful night against Real Sociedad is great, and it wasn't just a short burst of good form. Lucho is actually turning this around. The 2-5 yesterday was one of the best games I've seen in a long, long time. Perhaps the best of the season, even besting the Atletico games.

Bravo Kohe.

And you know what I think is an even bigger blessing? The fact that we missed so many chances at the San Mamés, such as Neymar not burying his chances, Xavi failing to go for an open goal, etc. That game could have been a 8-2 had we been more lethal in front of goal. We are not playing at our absolute best, and still able to beat Atleti and Bilbao on their home turf.

La Liga is very rough this season, but I think we can do it. We need more intensity, more fighting spirit, more willpower and more composure in front of goal. If we are a 7-speed car, I think MSN is around 5th gear at the moment. We have a bit more to go before we literally become a three-headed hydra god.

Culeinho

I agree with the "control means shit if you dont create opportunities" but you cant compare last nights game with how Peps sides did as Bilbao were better back then & Peps Barca have nothing to prove as they were widely recognised as one of the best teams -if not the best- ever. Last nights game was great to watch and it was great to see us creating so many chances again. We cant do possession for possessions sake but that also doesnt mean we should discard or poo poo possession football as thats our identity and brought us much success. Its the reason I love Barca as when we get it right its football at its very very best. However when we dont get it right its very frustrating and can even be boring to watch as we become predictable and create little. Its good to see us mix it up a bit and to carve open chances but I would hope we also keep possession football as our identity and perhaps when we go a few goals up revert back to it to control the game. Last night we lacked a bit of control but we did pass it out from the back which was very pleasing to see. Anyway Im enjoying watching Barca again lately and excited about the upcoming games. Our front 3 are lethal. Reminds me of the old days with Ronaldinho, Eto & Messi etc.

gatsu

Agreed.

The good thing about it is that it isn't just purely discarding style for results. We're playing some darn sexy football despite not having as much control as previously. Perhaps this was what Tata was trying to achieve before he gave up.

Though, we showed against Atletico and Bilbao that we can have absolute control if we want, Lucho is trying to find perfect equilibrium between possession and more direct phases and we are very near to achieve that, just need to be more efficient when we are defending deep.

DennyCrane

Though, we showed against Atletico and Bilbao that we can have absolute control if we want, Lucho is trying to find perfect equilibrium between possession and more direct phases and we are very near to achieve that, just need to be more efficient when we are defending deep.

Yes, and it looks good so far. Especially the transition play is dramatically improved, which is something I wouldn't have dared to hope say 3-4 months ago. The play in the last third in general, from creativity to off-the-ball movement and general pace, is improved as well. Also, our front three seem to develop better chemistry from match to match. Kudos to Lucho, I hope he can further build on that.

L

linetty

This. The game could've been won 7-2 easily and people still complain! Bilbao was left mesmerized at their own ground where we struggled to win for 5 straight years

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Luis Enique: "Nothing has changed in last month. I know the press likes to invent a lot, but we didn't change anything since the first day."

Really? So that means that counters are just something players invented by themselves without managers instructions.OK.
Barca was beasting with counters under Tata even with Pedro and Alexis, with MSN it's even more effective.

Home of Barca Fans