Luis Enrique

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, old sport. Said previously that we don't look like a team out there.
Just wanted to find some positives as we're all pretty disappointed right now.
Btw. add to that + list benching Pique.

I think it'll all depend whether Lucho will remain stubborn or try something else.
We'll see.

Icarium

Lifestealer
We are in 4th in league. Wow!!! Usually our worst period comes in February. I can't imagine where we will be at the end of year. My guess would be 3rd or even 4th.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Luis Enrique's meeting with the team

B1eSQoKCMAANYqx.jpg:large

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I think this season was messed up during the transfer window, and with our current squad I don't see us succeeding. The transfer window made no sense because on one hand we brought in Lucho to change up the system and reinvigorate our team, to refresh the stale "tiki-taka" style and bring something new to the table, but on the other hand we sold two world-class players in Alexis and Fabregas (as well as Song, who is a great player) because they didn't fit our system. As a result, our squad is weak and even our starting XI often leaves to be desired. Sure, our front three is world-class, but what happens if someone gets injured, or isn't in great form, or is serving a ban for I don't know, biting someone? We're left with an extremely raw Munir, the slightly less raw Sandro, and Pedro, who's freaking Pedro. In midfield, we have Iniesta, Busquets, and Rakitic, which on paper is decent until you realize Iniesta has no competition and is on the wrong side of 30, Busquets has played every game for the past 4 years and is a dead man walking, and Rakitic is, like I said before the start of the season, a jack-of-all-trades who would never be called world-class. Our back four has actually been solid this season, and I'm more or less happy with it, although I wouldn't have bought Vermaelen considering just how many injuries he's had. But I like what Lucho has done in that area of the field.

However, in the other parts, we've set ourselves up for failure. Instead of spending a ton of money for Suarez, we should have kept Fabregas, Alexis, and Song, bought Rakitic, Mathieu, and another attacker who would be content to sit on the bench but who would provide goals when called upon, and not be a waste of space like Pedro or an extremely inconsistent youngster like Munir. Roberto and Rafinha should have been the ones sent out on loans, as we need to find our identity now instead of playing youngsters who have potential to be good in the future. Then our front three would be Neymar-Messi-Alexis, which in my opinion is close to good enough to Suarez that it doesn't matter anyways, and we would actually have an option from the bench. But it would be our midfield that would really be stacked, with Cesc and Iniesta to provide that world-class attacking quality, Rakitic and Song to be used wherever required, Busquets and Mascherano to be our defensive mids, and rotated, and Xavi played in a role similar to this season, where his experience is still at our club and he's breathing down the others' necks, but he isn't starting every game.

The most important part of that squad would be the variety of it. Right now, our formation and starting XI is pretty much locked in. We're going to play Suarez, Messi, and Neymar regardless, which locks us into a 4-3-3, which locks Busquets or Mascherano in as a defensive mid, Iniesta because he's easily better than anyone else, and then Rakitic or Xavi. With that squad, we could play Cesc or Iniesta or both of them, or Song or Rakitic or Xavi, or 4 midfielders and Messi and Neymar or a 4-2-3-1 or whatever we wanted. Teams wouldn't know what to expect and that would be the redefining of our style that we originally wanted when we hired Lucho.

jamrock

stop over reacting guys, the same people saying the system is no good now or the ones who were raving about it in the preseason and at the start of the season, and raving about certain players and how they started

fact is the system was crap from day one like I said, but lets give him time to see if he can fix it, if not its another cup less season, such is life.

we need an overhaul from the very top not from just the middle or it will be the same thing all over again.

but when you are going to loan out delou and keep munir, it tells you, this person needs a good look at.

Barcilliant

LOL@ people bashing Lucho. I knew he wasn't good enough but Lucho is only part of a much greater malaise within the club. You can bring in any manager and they would find it hard at Barca.

Lets list the problems-

1)The board-nuff said
2)Unrealistic expectations. The fans, the media all have unrealistic expectations. The Guardiola era has become a real monkey on the back.
3)The players. So we have a lot of players left over from the Pep era and people still think they can play the same way as the Pep era if someone like Pep comes along. It wont happen. These players are past their best and are getting progressively worse. Busquets, Pique, Pedro, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta are all past it. NO manager is going to turn them into world beaters again.
4)Last but not least the manager. Lucho had a decent season with Celta-a completely different kettle of fish to Barca. At another big club Roma he had a pretty ordinary season. He's hardly Barca material but the board screwed up as usual and picked him. They should have got a big name manager to handle the transition not a novice.

serghei

I think this season was messed up during the transfer window, and with our current squad I don't see us succeeding. The transfer window made no sense because on one hand we brought in Lucho to change up the system and reinvigorate our team, to refresh the stale "tiki-taka" style and bring something new to the table, but on the other hand we sold two world-class players in Alexis and Fabregas (as well as Song, who is a great player) because they didn't fit our system. As a result, our squad is weak and even our starting XI often leaves to be desired. Sure, our front three is world-class, but what happens if someone gets injured, or isn't in great form, or is serving a ban for I don't know, biting someone? We're left with an extremely raw Munir, the slightly less raw Sandro, and Pedro, who's freaking Pedro. In midfield, we have Iniesta, Busquets, and Rakitic, which on paper is decent until you realize Iniesta has no competition and is on the wrong side of 30, Busquets has played every game for the past 4 years and is a dead man walking, and Rakitic is, like I said before the start of the season, a jack-of-all-trades who would never be called world-class. Our back four has actually been solid this season, and I'm more or less happy with it, although I wouldn't have bought Vermaelen considering just how many injuries he's had. But I like what Lucho has done in that area of the field.

However, in the other parts, we've set ourselves up for failure. Instead of spending a ton of money for Suarez, we should have kept Fabregas, Alexis, and Song, bought Rakitic, Mathieu, and another attacker who would be content to sit on the bench but who would provide goals when called upon, and not be a waste of space like Pedro or an extremely inconsistent youngster like Munir. Roberto and Rafinha should have been the ones sent out on loans, as we need to find our identity now instead of playing youngsters who have potential to be good in the future. Then our front three would be Neymar-Messi-Alexis, which in my opinion is close to good enough to Suarez that it doesn't matter anyways, and we would actually have an option from the bench. But it would be our midfield that would really be stacked, with Cesc and Iniesta to provide that world-class attacking quality, Rakitic and Song to be used wherever required, Busquets and Mascherano to be our defensive mids, and rotated, and Xavi played in a role similar to this season, where his experience is still at our club and he's breathing down the others' necks, but he isn't starting every game.

The most important part of that squad would be the variety of it. Right now, our formation and starting XI is pretty much locked in. We're going to play Suarez, Messi, and Neymar regardless, which locks us into a 4-3-3, which locks Busquets or Mascherano in as a defensive mid, Iniesta because he's easily better than anyone else, and then Rakitic or Xavi. With that squad, we could play Cesc or Iniesta or both of them, or Song or Rakitic or Xavi, or 4 midfielders and Messi and Neymar or a 4-2-3-1 or whatever we wanted. Teams wouldn't know what to expect and that would be the redefining of our style that we originally wanted when we hired Lucho.

:goodpost:

That's how I see it too. To the letter. We are in serious need of a RW and a DLP.

Barcilliant

What is shocking about our players is how mentally fragile they are. In the past 3 seasons any loss is followed up by another loss. There is no durability or tenacity.

I think our new signings are pretty good but Lucho's rotation and lack of a plan has left them bewildered . Look at Ter Stegen. He should be number 1 but he is only playing CL games and the defence is rotated too much. How is he supposed to settle?

Also what are cules doing? What an apathetic bunch. A vote of no confidence should be inititiated ASAP before the club go off the rails completely.

Barcilliant

Fabregas and Alexis WANTED out and it was best to cash in while we could. If they had stayed any longer and delivered humdrum performances they would have gone for much less. Also Rakitic and Suarez are superior players imo. They are not being utilised properly because Lucho is simply clueless.

Alik

Fabregas and Alexis WANTED out and it was best to cash in while we could. If they had stayed any longer and delivered humdrum performances they would have gone for much less. Also Rakitic and Suarez are superior players imo. They are not being utilised properly because Lucho is simply clueless.
Same can be said of Fabregas and Alexis, they weren't used properly. They didn't want out, they wanted to be part of the core team.

Semi-Neutral was suggesting keeping Fabregas and buying Rakitic. I do believe Suarez is an improvement, but one at the expense of other parts of the team.

Home of Barca Fans