Manuel Neuer

Yannik

When his career is over we will think of him as the best ever.

I will think of him as the best i have ever seen. That includes guys like Kahn, Van der Saar, Barthez, Chilavert, Casillas, Buffon, Cech.
But I cant think of him as the best ever, as I havent seen guys like Yashin and co. Even If I would, i would have no clue how to compare them to each other.

But what I can alread say is that Neuer will be remembered as the most influental goalkeeper in history of football so far. A complete new generation of goalkeepers will have him as their idols, in 20 years Neuers kind of Sweeper-keeper will be the most common thing around goalkeepers. Maybe someone will do it even better and completely outshine Neuer of today.
But here is where it started, Manuel Neuer in 2014, and that's something I am going to remember. I feel like his career started like not even 4 years ago, but even if he fucks up everything from now on, hes going to be a Hall-Of-Famer like the other legendary goalkeepers you hear about.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I will think of him as the best i have ever seen. That includes guys like Kahn, Van der Saar, Barthez, Chilavert, Casillas, Buffon, Cech.
But I cant think of him as the best ever, as I havent seen guys like Yashin and co. Even If I would, i would have no clue how to compare them to each other.

But what I can alread say is that Neuer will be remembered as the most influental goalkeeper in history of football so far. A complete new generation of goalkeepers will have him as their idols, in 20 years Neuers kind of Sweeper-keeper will be the most common thing around goalkeepers. Maybe someone will do it even better and completely outshine Neuer of today.
But here is where it started, Manuel Neuer in 2014, and that's something I am going to remember. I feel like his career started like not even 4 years ago, but even if he fucks up everything from now on, hes going to be a Hall-Of-Famer like the other legendary goalkeepers you hear about.

Neuer is certainly not the first sweeper keeper in football and this type of playing was not invented in 2014. Right now Neuer is the one who does it best but he is no prototype.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Neuer is certainly not the first sweeper keeper in football and this type of playing was not invented in 2014. Right now Neuer is the one who does it best but he is no prototype.

Nobody claimed Neuer was the first sweeper keeper. Neuer surely is the sweeper keeper who lives up to this role in a manner unseen before. Also his goal kicks and throw-outs are much more accurate and at the same time far-ranged than seen from anyone who came before him.
All in all, there has never been a goalkeeper who has put all aspects of goalkeeping together at such a high level. In THAT he is the prototype.

Gnidrologist

I think he is just better in what he does to similar keepers (like Valdes, who was a great sweeper keeper for us too). Nothing revolutionary, really. Just a talented guy. His over the top antics are just gimmick and bring nothing for the team.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I think he is just better in what he does to similar keepers (like Valdes, who was a great sweeper keeper for us too). Nothing revolutionary, really. Just a talented guy. His over the top antics are just gimmick and bring nothing for the team.

If you believe a Mercedes S is just a little better than a Seat Toledo but otherwise the same, you are of course entitled to such opinion, even though it is outright laughable.

Gnidrologist

Maybe the problem is that i don't watch him day and day out like i do with Barca players, but i haven't seen anything that reeks 'revolutionary'. He is basically a superior version of Valdes (in his later years), who also likes to attract the spotlight by making idiotic show offs like the run into middlfield seen in the gif posted somewhere above.

zanela

Maybe the problem is that i don't watch him day and day out like i do with Barca players, but i haven't seen anything that reeks 'revolutionary'. He is basically a superior version of Valdes (in his later years), who also likes to attract the spotlight by making idiotic show offs like the run into middlfield seen in the gif posted somewhere above.

+infinity

I've been saying the same for some time. But I'm glad that there are still a sane few who haven't bought all the needless razzmatazz.

Hummelsbauer

+infinity

I've been saying the same for some time. But I'm glad that there are still a sane few who haven't bought all the needless razzmatazz.

That's the new angle his haters take. "He's not THAT good people just think that because of his pointless antics..."

Not true though. You take away the antics and he's still the most incredible goal keeper I've ever seen. His antics just make him extra fun to watch.

Gnidrologist

How many times do he actually needs to make great saves? Valdes had to do them a LOT in few previous seasons. And his ball distribution/vision was no worse than that of Neuer's. But he didn't run into center of field and scream ''please, notice me''. That's all the difference. Valdes is pure professional and only does what is best for team. No ego strokes. Neurer is more alike to Higuita, who was actually a good keeper, but made him self remembered for the same reason Herostratus did.

Hummelsbauer

How many times do he actually needs to make great saves? Valdes had to do them a LOT in few previous seasons. And his ball distribution/vision was no worse than that of Neuer's. But he didn't run into center of field and scream ''please, notice me''. That's all the difference. Valdes is pure professional and only does what is best for team. No ego strokes. Neurer is more alike to Higuita, who was actually a good keeper, but made him self remembered for the same reason Herostratus did.

Cringe worthy. Clearly haven't watched him.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Valdes was a brilliant keeper though, similar to neuer in almost every area but less Commanding.

Home of Barca Fans