Luka Modric

Modric is the only midfield player in the last years who come close to Xavi and Iniesta. I would rather put Iniesta over Xavi, Iniesta in top form is just pure magic.

jamrock

What's going on in here & on *********

Modric as been good but not one once better than rakitic, plus he as proven to be choker when it comes to penalties,on the big stage.

********* writing that he deserves the golden ball this year if the world gives that to modric & neither of iniesta or xavi won it, well we will be officially living in the upside down.

There really hasn't been a great stand out player at this world cup, this word cup as just been one where the team as outshown the individual at almost every opportunity, the only player than constantly catches my eye & who does well from minute 1 -90 as been kante, and to a lesser extent rakitic that's it, none of this Pogba & Modric business that's the just easy names to point to ok both teams

RMU ReBorn

He is on the same level as xavi, iniesta, zidane, he is main engine in real madrid and now croatia, i dont want to repeat real's success in CL, but croatia is going to WC final with modric, thats something special, i dont want to take nothing from xavi and iniesta in NT team, but they had better players around that is not even comparable, if croatia wins WC, he will be greatest midfielder of all time for me, nobody will change my opinion.

I think real madrid fans consider him as a best purchase ever in real history, who else? They never had so much success in CL before, i dont count 50-s
Xavi and Iniesta made Spain great not the other way around . After their decline spain have done fuck all in international stage despite all the better players you mentioned . Modric was nobody when he played for spurs . Not to forget that only established team that croatia faced till final was England , who was inexperienced . Modric had his worst performance of the world cup against England . Xavi was Motm against Germany in 2010 and Iniesta was Motm against Dutch in final . Your bias for the fellow countryman is unreal . Pavel Nedved should be rated above Zidane , xavi ,iniesta and even Modric as per your logic not to forget Laudrup who was part of Denmark's euro win .

RMU ReBorn

Exactly what i was talking about, Xavi is actually becoming overrated at this point, in my opinion.
Nop ,he is the greatest player spain has ever produced . He is rated properly . Don't need to look further other than state of Barca and Spain midfield after his departure. Entire system was dependant on xavi . It's not as if croatia hasn't achieved similar heights in the past . They only lost to France in 1998 who had Thuram , blanc , Zidane , barthes , Henry and other greats of their generation . This time Croatia didn't had to face such superior opponents till final . Will see what Modric can do in final against France which will be vital for his legacy .

BBZ8800

Modric has covered the most distance in the World Cup so far, with 63km.

[tw]1017495813050728449[/tw]

Regarding this stat, it obviously helped that Croatia played 120+120+120 minutes in knockout rounds, so Croatia had more "time" to run.
In a Croatian team, though, Brozovic and Rakitic cover more.
But Modric was a starter in all 6 matches, so he had more "time on a pitch" again to cover the longest distance.
Rakitic was rested vs Iceland in the 3rd group match.
And Brozovic didn't play as a starter when Croatia played 424 vs Nigeria and Russia. And he was also rested vs Iceland, like Rakitic.

RMU ReBorn

I have said that Modric this tournament hasnt been as good as some people think, dont think he is overrated in general.
Xavi is an all time great, but at the same time he is becoming overrated imo, nothing he ever did on a football pitch can be questioned it seems, according to you.
Iniesta ran away with motm in so many big games, but for some reason, he doesnt even compare to Xavi either....

Yo morten bro, you are wrong dude. Xavi was chosen as the player of the tournament in 2008 Euro's ..

Let's take a look at 2010 world cup

Vs Honduras -Motm ( Villa )
Vs chile -Motm -( Iniesta )
Vs portugal - Motm ( Xavi )
Vs Paraguay -Motm ( Iniesta)
vs Germany - Motm ( Xavi )
Vs Holland - Motm ( Iniesta )

So iniesta wasn't running away with Motm's till 2012 Euro's were age caught up with xavi , still he had his moments . imo he was player of the tournament in 2010 and should have won golden ball and ballon dor

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

Iniesta and xavi had better players around in NT, put modric in that spain team instead xavi, and things would be exactly the same
Jesus christ i can't stop laughing . I have immense respect for most croats in this forum except this guy . Has to be some kinda delusion if these aren't sarcasm . :lol:

Joan

It's hard to rate players like Modrić, Iniesta well. Luka is exceptional, not as elegant as Iniesta, doesn't have his vision nor attacking power - initiative? - but covers more ground, has great engine and manages, just like Andres, tight space efficiently. What I love about him is how he wins balls in the middle and right away starts the move, true central midfielder. Brilliant at what he does.

But he's no midfield God either, as someone said. Not as dominant as Iniesta (again, Xavi's out of discussion), imo. Now, don't jump at me, they won it all but I'm talking about their game. Modrić is an all-time great, but behind the likes of Iniesta or Xavi.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Modric is Mr Consistent.. and definitely the best midfielder in the world right now... but definitely not on a level with Iniesta, Xavi or Zidane.. these 3 had many magical moments in games.. that’s the difference, Modric just performs at the highest level constantly.

thefa

Banned
Xavi and Iniesta made Spain great not the other way around . After their decline spain have done fuck all in international stage despite all the better players you mentioned . Modric was nobody when he played for spurs . Not to forget that only established team that croatia faced till final was England , who was inexperienced . Modric had his worst performance of the world cup against England . Xavi was Motm against Germany in 2010 and Iniesta was Motm against Dutch in final . Your bias for the fellow countryman is unreal . Pavel Nedved should be rated above Zidane , xavi ,iniesta and even Modric as per your logic not to forget Laudrup who was part of Denmark's euro win .

Xavi also benefited from the quality of his teammates and the fact that he was in a system that played to his strengths.

He talked about the struggles of playing under Rijkaard and recalled fans calling him " cancer " and " useless " well into the Messi era.

Xavi wasn't in contention for being the best at anything until 2007-2008, when he was 28.

RMU ReBorn

Xavi also benefited from the quality of his teammates and the fact that he was in a system that played to his strengths.

He talked about the struggles of playing under Rijkaard and recalled fans calling him " cancer " and " useless " well into the Messi era.

Xavi wasn't in contention for being the best at anything until 2007-2008, when he was 28.
Neither was Modric . He was considered as a flop transfer when he was signed by Madrid . Before that no one one even considered him among top 20 midfielders at that time playing for spurs and Dynamo . If spain played to his strengths they have benefitted from that as well . It doesn't take away from the fact that he was the most important player in that system and winning euro 2008 by being the player of the tournament is no joke ,not to forget he was Motm in 2 out of 4 knockout matches in 2010 World cup . Xavi being benefited by a great team is applicable to Zidane as well ,whom majority of pundits rates among goat midfielders .

Last edited:
Neither was Modric . He was considered as a flop transfer when he was signed by Madrid . Before that no one one even considered him among top 20 midfielders at that time playing for spurs and Dynamo . If spain played to his strengths they have benefitted from that as well . It doesn't take away from the fact that he was the most important player in that system and winning euro 2008 by being the player of the tournament is no joke ,not to forget he was Motm in 2 out of 4 knockout matches in 2010 World cup . Xavi being benefited by a great team is applicable to Zidane as well ,whom majority of pundits rates among goat midfielders .

Didnt you said Modric was the reason for 4 Cl in 5 years ? I mean even Zidane, Xavi or Iniesta werent able to do that. Is Modric then the greatest midfield player of all time ? :worthy:

thefa

Banned
Didnt you said Modric was the reason for 4 Cl in 5 years ? I mean even Zidane, Xavi or Iniesta werent able to do that. Is Modric then the greatest midfield player of all time ? :worthy:

It's a catch 22, hype up Modric to undermine Cristiano Ronaldo's accomplishments but at the same time insist that he's nowhere near the two midfielders that supported Messi :lol:

RMU ReBorn

Yeah i said it and i meant it . He was the main reason why Madrid won 4 Cl 's . Look at their record before he came . Having said that 4 Cl's alone won't make him better than Xavi /iniesta . CL ain't the only tournament in which these players are participating . Modric hardly bosses classico's nor did he had the impact to dominate league , i mean league in which most technically gifted players are participating . Modric's madrid has a abysmal record in la liga winning just once , finishing behind Atletico and Barca in 2014 finishing behind Barca by 15+ points . Xavi and iniesta has won more than 5 league titles along with 4 Cl's , two euro's and a world cup . So i guess , i don't need to explain much . should i ?

Home of Barca Fans