Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1187

Thread: Luka Modric

  1. #1156
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    4,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    And what do you gain from those harsh responses you write?
    nothing less than what you gain from trolling.

  2. #1157
    6racies Xavi
    messi2140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,025
    I have never seen someone who flips from trolling to taking the high ground as fast as you do. All thats left for you to do is ssue an apology and how you are leaving the forum to complete the cycle only for it to start again.

  3. #1158
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    7,829
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    nothing less than what you gain from trolling.
    Yeah i don't gain anything. It's not about the gains for me.
    It's somehow fun studying how people respond to undesirable comments/information

    Quote Originally Posted by messi2140 View Post
    I have never seen someone who flips from trolling to taking the high ground as fast as you do. All thats left for you to do is ssue an apology and how you are leaving the forum to complete the cycle only for it to start again.
    now you have seen such a person
    Between a rock and a hard place

  4. #1159
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    7,829
    And even then, trolling aside i'm quite okay with the top 5.
    that's not trolling. That's what i think
    Between a rock and a hard place

  5. #1160
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    Well as you can see, the decent set of eyes that were entrusted to pick the winner saw it differently and plenty other people agree with them.

    May be your set of eyes is not as decent as you may think
    Well, as you can see, a pair of those "entrusted, decent eyes" chose Benzema as the one worthy of this year's Ballon d'Or. Being a "journalist" doesn't make you right. Or clever for that matter.

  6. #1161
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    7,829
    Quote Originally Posted by El Trencaxarxes View Post
    Well, as you can see, a pair of those "entrusted, decent eyes" chose Benzema as the one worthy of this year's Ballon d'Or. Being a "journalist" doesn't make you right. Or clever for that matter.
    but the majority picked modric. the one that picked benzema didn't change the course, just a tiny fraction.

    in any populayion there will always be outliers, but 95% fall not far from the average, and that's the population that determines the winner
    Between a rock and a hard place

  7. #1162
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    4,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    but the majority picked modric. the one that picked benzema didn't change the course, just a tiny fraction.

    in any populayion there will always be outliers, but 95% fall not far from the average, and that's the population that determines the winner
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE FOR average, outliers, or 95% intervals here as we are not estimating a single continuous parameter such as population height or population weight. What you have is a pie chart, with different proportions of the votes going to different players. That sort of information doesn't support any statistical inference.

    So, just because you came across these terms in an intro medical stats course, don't mean you get to throw them misguidedly while writing with an impression that you know what you are talking about.

  8. #1163
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    7,829
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE FOR average, outliers, or 95% intervals here as we are not estimating a single continuous parameter such as population height or population weight. What you have is a pie chart, with different proportions of the votes going to different players. That sort of information doesn't support any statistical inference.

    So, just because you came across these terms in an intro medical stats course, don't mean you get to throw them misguidedly while writing with an impression that you know what you are talking about.
    just so you know i wasnt applying that literally. all i was implying is that in any population there will always be extremes, but those are few and somehow most tend to meet somewhere in the middle.

    Those who voted for Benzema, strange as it is, are few and an insignificant proportion.

    Not direct relevance as you thought i meant.
    And no i did not just come across these terms i have used them, in my own studies as well
    Between a rock and a hard place

  9. #1164
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,769
    It's futile to analyze beauty contests statistically.

  10. #1165
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    4,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    just so you know i wasnt applying that literally. all i was implying is that in any population there will always be extremes, but those are few and somehow most tend to meet somewhere in the middle.

    Those who voted for Benzema, strange as it is, are few and an insignificant proportion.

    Not direct relevance as you thought i meant.
    And no i did not just come across these terms i have used them, in my own studies as well
    Dude, this is literally just a ranked list based on who got what proportion of vote points. There is no need for populations, extremes, 95% intervals, or any of the stats jargon that you threw in to make your point seem more authoritative.

    Because if we follow your word soup, even meant informally, this is what happens...

    Modric being the justified winner because 'most tend to meet somewhere in the middle'...when 1st place is just as much of an outlier from this 'middle' as the last places like where Benzema ended up.

    HINT: you can't use extremes or averages or any continuous distribution measures with proportions.
    Last edited by KingLeo10; 5th December 2018 at 05:27 PM.

  11. #1166
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tanzania
    Posts
    7,829
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Dude, this is literally just a ranked list based on who got what proportion of vote points. There is no need for populations, extremes, 95% intervals, or any of the stats jargon that you threw in to make your point seem more authoritative.

    Because if we follow your word soup, even meant informally, this is what happens...

    Modric being the justified winner because 'most tend to meet somewhere in the middle'...when 1st place is just as much of an outlier from this 'middle' as the last places like where Benzema ended up.

    HINT: you can't use extremes or averages or any continuous distribution measures with proportions.
    i know all that.
    i decided to twist the terms to fit my narrative.
    Between a rock and a hard place

  12. #1167
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    4,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
    i know all that.
    i decided to twist the terms to fit my narrative.
    doctor twisting narratives. dangerous, i'd say.

  13. #1168
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    9,883
    An award is okay, i guess, but this was a clean sweep in all awards this year, wasnt it?
    I mean, what can i say....

  14. #1169
    Moderator
    El Flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    12,136



  15. #1170
    Improvin' Perfection!!
    Aryagorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,080
    Making great use of the "Best Player In The World" tag I see - Just can't seem to get a card no matter what

Tags for this Thread