Luka Modric

Bergkamp10

Was Modric really a MoM vs. ManUtd?
Some rumours have linked him with Barcelona lately.

Not from what I saw.

Modric is a good player but doesn't score or assist much which is surprising seeing as he plays for a team with a lot of attacking talent. He's a long way from being near the level of the likes of Fabregas, Iniesta and Sniejder. He passes the ball nicely but I don't feel he's dynamic enough and he can sometimes drift in and out of game.

I would have said that he's the same level of Nasri but now Nasri has added more goals and has been a lot more explosive and direct this season, I'd say he's (Nasri) ahead of him. He's probably about the level of Van der Vaart.

poncirus

I repeat: he's a completely different player than the likes os Nasri, Van der Vaart...

If you look through goals and assist you could argue Nasri isn't far off from Iniesta, which is laughable.

Modric is that rare kind of playe: dynamic, altruistic, with vision, natural movement and quick thinking. I think he is frusrated a little playing for Spurs, team who has talent but is disorganized.

He has his fallacies: his technique is sometimes untidy, he's elusive but not that quick, and is not so good in terms of end product. But his qualities make him far better than players like Afellay, Nasri, Hleb, Diego, Boussufa... who are not that special IMO.

There is a reason why many good players simply can't make it in Barca: ability is not enough, you must have intelligence, altruism, patience and workrate.

Bergkamp10

So if he's not an attacking midfielder, what is he? A playmaker that rarely assists? You name these qualities yet he doesn't dominate the midfield or dictate the tempo of a game. He's a good player who's done well at Spurs but has not been outstanding. You're seriously overrating him, he's good but no where near good enough for Barcelona. Spurs get completely dominated when teams with strong midfields play them and Modric is one of the first players to dissapear from the game when the going gets tough.

And Modric is NOT dynamic, Fabregas is dynamic. Sneijder is dynamic. Iniesta in dynamic. Essien is dynamic. Modric is not. He's a good passer of the ball but he doesn't do enough in the final third.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair Iniesta has only 2 assists this season so it's not that easy to rate just according to assists.
I do think that Modric is dynamic and works best with a defensive midfielder beside him but can't see him (or any other midfielder) fitting here. Noone is better for Barca than Xavi-Iniesta.

poncirus

So if he's not an attacking midfielder, what is he? A playmaker that rarely assists? You name these qualities yet he doesn't dominate the midfield or dictate the tempo of a game. He's a good player who's done well at Spurs but has not been outstanding. You're seriously overrating him, he's good but no where near good enough for Barcelona. Spurs get completely dominated when teams with strong midfields play them and Modric is one of the first players to dissapear from the game when the going gets tough.

And Modric is NOT dynamic, Fabregas is dynamic. Sneijder is dynamic. Iniesta in dynamic. Essien is dynamic. Modric is not. He's a good passer of the ball but he doesn't do enough in the final third.
Again you are comparing players who don't have much in common. That tells me something about your football knowldge, I must say. And LOL at Modric not being dynamic. I rate Modric in first rate because of that: his ablity to set the pace of the game, make the ball flow, provide a constant outlet, predict movement and see angles. These things make Iniesta best player in the world IMO. Modric is not as god as Iniesta, but is one of few that can actually be compared to him.

Bergkamp10

Again you are comparing players who don't have much in common. That tells me something about your football knowldge, I must say. And LOL at Modric not being dynamic. I rate Modric in first rate because of that: his ablity to set the pace of the game, make the ball flow, provide a constant outlet, predict movement and see angles. These things make Iniesta best player in the world IMO. Modric is not as god as Iniesta, but is one of few that can actually be compared to him.

I'm not comparing any players, I'm giving examples of dynamic players. If you can't see that then it tells me something about your general knowledge (if you want to get personal and make digs.)

You do realise that most of Spurs' play comes from the flanks or from a long ball up to Crouch? Modric doesn't really make anything flow in their team because when Spurs play through the middle it's usually through Huddlestone who's been more effective for spurs than Modric. The bit I've highlighted is just wrong. Maybe he sets the pace of the game against Wolves or Blackpool, but not against teams with half decent midfields.

poncirus

I'm not comparing any players, I'm giving examples of dynamic players. If you can't see that then it tells me something about your general knowledge (if you want to get personal and make digs.)

You do realise that most of Spurs' play comes from the flanks or from a long ball up to Crouch? Modric doesn't really make anything flow in their team because when Spurs play through the middle it's usually through Huddlestone who's been more effective for spurs than Modric. The bit I've highlighted is just wrong. Maybe he sets the pace of the game against Wolves or Blackpool, but not against teams with half decent midfields.

I said before Spurs way of playing doesn't suit him. But he is still excellent there. Yesterday he was the best player on the pitch for me.

However, I must say that I also watched a few games he failed to impose himself. Was it inconsistency, injury, frustration or whatever, I don't know. But from what I watched he is truly a wonderful players that delivers wit, flow and industry in the team. A kind of player that is often undeservedly overlooked. Lots of people for same reason still can't seem to figure why that Iniesta bloke is that special.

And if anybody is overrated it's Huddlestone - static and slow minded player with excellent technique.

Last edited:

Bergkamp10

Well Redknapp is tactically clueless so it's no surprise that maybe Modric doesn't shine at times. I think he'd do well to go to a team that play more passing football then maybe I'll see in him what you see. I'll keep a close eye on him tomorrow vs Inter because VdV is out, Bale is exhausted and Lennon is rubbish so Modric will really have to step up.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
modric runs shit for spurs.

well, when harry lets him.

harry is really quite thick.

but yeah, lots of second-to-last pass stuff. notsomuch this season with 'arry's "hoof it to crouchy, knockdown to vdv, NICE WAAANNN!" tactics. but yeah, in general he doesn't rack up huge numbers. you have to take into account that spurs are usually crap, which doesn't help the guy's cause.

he's nearly always their only good player whenever they face united (lennon occasionally has evra's number, to be fair to him) and repeatedly threatens to own united right in the face, only for his team-mates to let him down and allow united to win.

he's a very very good player. dunno if he'd slot in perfectly with us, but he looks soooo much like johan it may just be worth forcing him in. :lol:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Despicable behavior from Modric. Refusing to travel with his teammates revealed that he has no character.
There should be a way for them to fine him.

Yellowmustard

Despicable behavior from Modric. Refusing to travel with his teammates revealed that he has no character.
There should be a way for them to fine him.
Daniel Levy ruined his transfer. Can't blame him for being pissed, they don't even pay him that much.

Home of Barca Fans