Ibrahim Afellay

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Jeffren was way better than Afellay in that game... But I would like to see them switching wings, as Afellay seems more comfortable on the left...

Still not totally impressed by this guy either, but he has potential so I support him...

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I think Afellay is better on the right hand side where he can use his pace more effectively. When on the left he's far too predictable, just cuts back and whips in an inswinger.

El Guaje

Villa is not a winger, Bojan is not a winger, Mascherano is not a CB, Puyi is not a LB, Busquets is not a CB,... your point?

Does that really matter? Not every player can play good wherever you tell them to play.
What if I told Valdes to be a RW and asked him to perform like Messi did in 08/09?

Galning

That's because he's a goalkeeper.

The thing is, as a football you have to play on different positions. Everybody else on the Barça team does it, so why shouldn't Afellay be able to do it?

El Guaje

That's because he's a goalkeeper.

The thing is, as a football you have to play on different positions. Everybody else on the Barça team does it, so why shouldn't Afellay be able to do it?

Valdes was just an example. Another one - Keita, what if I asked him to take the Xavi-role of the team? Or what if I asked him to play LB?
Guardiola actually did it, he asked him to play at the LB position for the CL finals 2009 but Keita refused. Afellay on the other hand just tries his best. Guardiola has yet to play him to his real strengths.

And no, not everybody can play equally as good as on theur natural position. Bojan, Villa, Afellay and Iniesta all says hello :)
Villa & Iniesta are doing fine on the LW though but both of them are much better on their respective natural positions. Bojan has been decent at best (that is why he needs to play centrally) and Afellay has put in some great effort, but still, he isnt a winger.

Bojan is being destroyed by Pep on the wings. The kid doesent get time to play, but when he finally does it he has to play on the wings........

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think Afellay is better on the right hand side where he can use his pace more effectively. When on the left he's far too predictable, just cuts back and whips in an inswinger.

I think that's true, to an extent...He will take his man on from that left side and up until now, there hasn't really been anyone to do that until Villa...I like the threat he presents doing that but agree that he's better at it from the right....Being a left sided winger, though, doesn't mean you can't cut inside...He's a terrifically skilled, two footed player (with pace) - and that's an asset to have...One we don't have many of really

Problem is, he's less of a goal scoring player in attack than he is a setup man...If he'd go a bit more Nolito at it (Esp. from that left side), I think he'd be devilishly successful at Barca...Just have to wait & see

P

Plato

His goal scoring ability is nothing to worry about, at PSV he was the clubtopscorer as a midfielder with, i believe, 16 goals at the end of the season. His pace is incredible, but to be saying he's faster than Ronaldo isn't realistic, i believe there speed is compareable.

Next season he's gonna be amazing, as most of the players reach there best at the age of 26, 27 and 28.

P

Paganitzu

Some days ago he was already praised as the new world football player. 4 days later everyone is back with his feet on the ground. Don't judge a player on one match and defiantly don't judge a pleyer on 20 minutes. Marcelo played 70 minutes more than him. If I run with a guy that has played 70 minutes more then it's normal that I'm less exhausted that him.

Still his overall report for his 4 months is POSITIVE. But still he should work on his finishing if he really want a future spot in the starting XI. If you play as Winger for FC Barcelona you need to make assists, what he does, but also you need to be able to make some goals.

I'm sure he keeps working hard and will grow more as a FC Barcelona player. I doubt he will ever have a spot in the starting XI. Players like Pedro, Villa, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Mascherano you don't bench that easy. Still for the time being he is a very good back up.
Just as I expected. He is a decent back-up player for Barcelona, nothing wrong with that. He can tell his kids he played for the best football squad in the history of football. He can tell he gave the assist that led Barcelona to the Champions League final.

Don't expect him to score a lot, he never did that. If I watch Barcelona, I see he's weak in position when he doesn't have the ball. If he can improve that, he will become 50% better. If he can as well improve his finishing he'll be a great player for the Dutch NT and a decent player for Barcelona.

Home of Barca Fans