Sergi Samper

xXKonan

I remember the rumors Wenger was interested in Busi back in 2008? or so. but Busi turned Them done and he stuck with us.

Seems like every window for the last several years rumors keep popping up of Wenger wanting Samper :lol:

Whether or not any of these rumors have any truth to them I doubt Samper will leave Considering Lucho has Confidence in him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Samper needs to work on his fitness before we can discuss anything else.
His positioning is poor too and that's hard to learn as it's an instictive thing. Either you have it or not.

God Serena

Do you mean his positioning in offense or defense? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his positioning when we have the ball, but if we're talking defensively, that's one of the main reasons many people are clamoring to have him convert to CM.

khaled_a_d

Do you mean his positioning in offense or defense? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his positioning when we have the ball, but if we're talking defensively, that's one of the main reasons many people are clamoring to have him convert to CM.

His positioning isn't good at all at CM with the ball either .during his CDR game he was in wrong position more than the right one .
Mascherano had to tell him many times where to move
That is one of the main reasons I want him to complete this season with Barca B .he need to adapt to the position b4 going to the top flight

God Serena

His positioning isn't good at all at CM with the ball either .during his CDR game he was in wrong position more than the right one .
Mascherano had to tell him many times where to move
That is one of the main reasons I want him to complete this season with Barca B .he need to adapt to the position b4 going to the top flight

At CM. That's a position he is only recently trying to learn. I thought Bojan's comments pertained to him as a CDM, as that's primarily where he plays and where the largest sample size of his quality can be drawn from. At CM yes, he does need to improve his positioning, but that's to be expected if you take into consideration that he has only recently even been considered for CM in his 15 or so years at the club. He's got the overall quality and intelligence, he just needs more experience. A proper loan would do him better than mucking about in the 3rd division with that pathetic B team, though. How any player could improve in that environment is a mystery to me.

God Serena

They know damn well we're not letting him go for anything less than his release clause, so why are they even bothering with this weak nonsense?

BBZ8800

At CM. That's a position he is only recently trying to learn. I thought Bojan's comments pertained to him as a CDM, as that's primarily where he plays and where the largest sample size of his quality can be drawn from. At CM yes, he does need to improve his positioning, but that's to be expected if you take into consideration that he has only recently even been considered for CM in his 15 or so years at the club. He's got the overall quality and intelligence, he just needs more experience. A proper loan would do him better than mucking about in the 3rd division with that pathetic B team, though. How any player could improve in that environment is a mystery to me.

You are right to some extent.
If a player never played on a CM position, it is a normal thing that he struggles.

But also, we have to be honest, if a player is 21 years old (in a Month), and positioning and movement for a CM position isn't his "natural" strength, then we can't expect that he will (ever?) develop into a Barca's level of Cm.

Just an example, in numbers:
-- imagine if some player naturally has positioning and movement at 80/100 aged 16
-- then, over years, he CAN develop into a CM with movement skill 100/100

But:
-- if a player naturally has positioning/movement skill let's say 50/100 (from whatever reason...)
-- then he CAN improve over years, to let's say 70/100 or 80/100, but 99% surely he WON'T ever reach the level of a guy who naturally had a positioning skill around 80/100

So, in shorter, majority of us agree with you, Samper is not guilty, this is not his position etc.
But also, on the other hand, if you take all variables into a consideration, his current skills and speed of his development, then it is highly unlikely that he will turn into a next Xavi. (Or Rakitic, or any starter CM in the last 10 years)

Last edited:

barcanuck

Samper would be an upgrade to Flamini and Arteta, those guys were done years ago baffles me they are still at a club like Arsenal.

God Serena

You are right to some extent.
If a player never played on a CM position, it is a normal thing that he struggles.

But also, we have to be honest, if a player is 21 years old (in a Month), and positioning and movement for a CM position isn't his "natural" strength, then we can't expect that he will (ever?) develop into a Barca's level of Cm.

Just an example, in numbers:
-- imagine if some player naturally has positioning and movement at 80/100 aged 16
-- then, over years, he CAN develop into a CM with movement skill 100/100

But:
-- if a player naturally has positioning/movement skill let's say 50/100 (from whatever reason...)
-- then he CAN improve over years, to let's say 70/100 or 80/100, but 99% surely he WON'T ever reach the level of a guy who naturally had a positioning skill around 80/100

So, in shorter, majority of us agree with you, Samper is not guilty, this is not his position etc.
But also, on the other hand, if you take all variables into a consideration, his current skills and speed of his development, then it is highly unlikely that he will turn into a next Xavi. (Or Rakitic, or any starter CM in the last 10 years)

Now it's my turn to agree with you. I don't see Samper becoming a starter CM here. His primary career aspiration is most likely to be a good backup for Busquets. Not a knock against him, he's just behind one of the best DMs ever. He's probably going to stay in that backup role for quite some time, and in that time he can be played as CM to help him develop the skills he'd need for that position, as well when we need him in a pinch.

Interlop

With Arda Turan starting to play in January, Rafinha recovering by the end of March and possibly bringing back Denis Suarez I don't see a place for him in our midfield, right now. I think we should loan him to a mid-table La Liga side (Rayo would be ideally) for 1,5 seasons or sell him with buy-back. He will develop better with constant playing time and gain more experience.

Home of Barca Fans