Sergi Samper

navidjaan

To be honest I do not think another loan would benefit him. If we still think he has a true potential we must bring him back and try to play him as DM substitute for Busquets or he will never develop.

I don't mind loaning him out to coaches whose philosophies match Barça's more than Barça's own coach. Malaga if Oscar Garcia becomes coach, Sociedad with Eusebio if Illara leaves, Sevilla with Sampaoli if N'Zonzi is sold (to Barça, lol).

Also comparing him with Xavi is pointles, you really can't compare those two.

Sure, I can. Both DM's in their early career who couldn't defend and focused on passing only. Pep a more accurate comparison. Only difference between Samper and Xavi is that Samper doesn't have the attacking capabilities to play in a more advanced midfield role, like Xavi did (and Iniesta, who also started in a deeper role).

God Serena

He's been doing well for some time now from what I can tell. Those who wrote him off in September were the same ones who laughed at Grimaldo not making the bench 3 months into his career in Portugal.

Messi983

Yeah, and some people have already gave up on Paco and Gomes after only 4 months at the club. It's hypocritical calling up people that didn't believe in Samper while you are talking sh** about Paco since the day he was signed.

Samper was good in 2nd half yesterday, but that was against opponent that will 99% be relegated. I believe in Samper but he'll need to continue to play good against better opponents than Osasuna.

God Serena

Yeah, and some people have already gave up on Paco and Gomes after only 4 months at the club. It's hypocritical calling up people that didn't believe in Samper while you are talking sh** about Paco since the day he was signed.

Samper was good in 2nd half yesterday, but that was against opponent that will 99% be relegated. I believe in Samper but he'll need to continue to play good against better opponents than Osasuna.

But the difference is Paco was a high money signing who did nothing to impress or indicate that he'd become the striker we need. How are they the same, I don't know, but Samper in 4 months with Granada is still performing better than Paco in that same amount of time at Barca.

Messi983

Both are young players in new teams so I think both deserved more time to adapt. You are willing to give that to Samper but apparently not to Paco, that was my point.

gasgas

Both are young players in new teams so I think both deserved more time to adapt. You are willing to give that to Samper but apparently not to Paco, that was my point.

Paco is 2 years older and he has been playing in the first team for atleast 2/3 seasons

As for Samper, this is his first experience in the first team

Messi983

Yes, but Paco is still only 23 and he's new at Barça where he has to compete for his playing time against the best "9" in the world.

God Serena

That's true if you strip away all the important facts surrounding their situations. Paco was not signed to be a shitty backup who needs to adapt, we already had that in Munir, who in case you hadn't noticed, was not so shitty in the months leading up to his loan. His signing was meant to be the backup to MSN that we desperately needed but instead all we did was replace a developing young forward with the worst striker I've ever seen wear the Barca shirt.

navidjaan

[youtube]qbqUgojeoYw[/youtube]

Nice performance from Samper, who lifted himself and his team in the 2nd half, despite being a man down.

navidjaan

By watching Samper’s games for Granada (thankfully he’s playing in a pivotal role now, which is great for his experience), you can easily tell Samper’s strengths and weaknesses.

When it comes to technique, passing, vision, basically everything you expect from a Barça player, Samper can do it. The way he’s constantly aware of everything behind and besides him when he gets the ball is magnificent. Thank God for the coaches of La Masia.

But he has defensive concerns, too. He does read the game nicely, but not when his team isn’t in position. He gets caught off guard often due to his defensive positioning, as seen at Osasuna’s goal, which is why I included it. He gets too lured in to getting the ball back that he takes a step too far wide and the Osasuna RB went around him and sent the ball in to Oriol Riera who finished.

So, the main question is: how can he fix this? Well, first of all, Samper has improved immensely in defense compared to his time at La Masia. Throughout Barça B he added physique and got better at positioning himself. He could’ve been on loan at a better place, but I think being in Granada is a good way to add to those defensive gains for Samper, especially since he can still continue to be a pivot (Granada recently refrained from an extreme defensive tactic that was toxic for Samper), controlling Granada’s midfield. Now, Samper will be pressured quite often in defensive positioning, which forces him to learn, something that wasn’t possible last season in Segunda B with Barça B where he was levels over everybody, opponents and teammates, while also being able to control a midfield, with both things being essential for a DM at Barça, for when he hopefully returns.

When he does (hopefully) returns, I think one man alone will help him improve his weaknesses significantly: Busquets. Playing next to Busquets every single day, week in, week out, will have a massive, positive effect on Samper’s flaws. Busquets defensively is literally everything Samper should strive to be. And it’s not like Samper isn’t actively trying to do a good defensive work, as seen in his games. For me, he needs a good mentor. Not only would he have Busquets, but Iniesta (who was once a DM with a small physical stature as well), too.

Let’s just hope for the best. The talent is there.

jamrock

The talent was always there with this one, like it is always was with Grimaldo, but that's for a another day.

I just hope he continues to develop and we get a coach that believes on giving the youth a chance.

I believe between him, Alena, Kaptoum

We should be able to get at least 1 or 2 class midfielders for the future.

Messi983

with the worst striker I've ever seen wear the Barca shirt.

Exaggerating.

I undestand that we treat La Masia kids different than someone we paid 30M for but I also believe that we should never write off a young player that has hard time to adapt to the team after just a few months. Especially not someone who was brought in as a clear backup to the best striker in the world and was expected to get limited playing time.

It's not comparing Samper or Munir to Paco but about giving them all a fair opportunity. I still believe that all of them could have a future here.

[tw]821436686429286400[/tw]

But [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] said that Wenger was not even interested in Samper. :thinking:

By watching Samper’s games for Granada (thankfully he’s playing in a pivotal role now, which is great for his experience), you can easily tell Samper’s strengths and weaknesses.

Great post, agree with everything.

Another thing to consider is that Samper is playing in midfield alongside only kids, mostly loaned out from other big clubs. Look at their midfielders in starting lineup against Osasuna:

- Jeremy Boga (20, on loan from Chelsea),
- Andreas Pereira (21, on loan from Manchester United),
- Agbo Uche (21; he was promoted from Granada B team a season ago but was then sold to Watford after Pozzo family sold Granada and is now loaned back to them),
- Omer Atzili (23, they bought him from Israeli league last summer)

They also have another Chelsea loanee Victor Angban (20) and they had Jon Torral (21, former Samper teammate in La Masia) on loan from Arsenal but he didn't play much so he was recalled by the gooners a week ago and was now loaned to Glasgow Rangers.

So not really anyone Samper could learn from or who would take some pressure off him. While those players are probably all talented and most likely have a future at a lot better clubs than Granada they just lack experience on top level and there is no surprise they are playing inconsistent but I think Samper is actually doing really good given the circumstances.

Of course the question remains whether it would be better for him to stay at Barça and learn on trainings from Busquets and Iniesta while also playing a lot less than he does now. I think he should play every week at his age to develop so loan was a right decision. Of course he was meant to be playing for Paco Jemez whose football philosophy is similar to Barça and he'd likely play better overall under him but I think their current system is probably better for his defensive game improvement. As much as I like Paco Jemez he just doesn't care too much about defense so I doubt Samper would really learn much in that aspect of his game.

Home of Barca Fans