how did you become a barca fan ?

Leroy

Brown
How YOU became a Cule.

This thread will be for sharing the story of how you were birthed into The Blaugrana World.

My Story:

2006, I was 14, i had just woken up at my friends house and the 2006 FIFA World Cup was on the TV; it was Serbia & Montenegro vs. Argentina. I had never really watched football and enjoyed it before (World Cup & Euro Cup is the only football on free TV in New Zealand) but for some reason i really enjoyed watching this match. Argentina were passing it around with finesse, elegance and control. They scored a magnificent goal that involved 24 passes, I sat there in awe. That was probably the 4th and best goal i had ever seen.
Then my friends step-dad comes into the room just as Argentina were making a substitution; Messi was coming on. At this point i had no idea who any football players were let alone Messi (whose name i previously thought was an adjective for a clutter). My friends step-dad then said 'Oh here come Messi, he's said to be the next 'Maradona'.' I knew that Maradona was a big person in football, so i proceeded to watch intently. The rest of the game Messi got 1 goal and 1 assist, thats when i started to like Messi.
I went home that day and looked Messi up on the internet and found out he played for a team from Spain called FC Barcelona. I looked up this team, I learned about the history and the style of this team, and i thought 'That's exactly what i would want my team to do, play beautiful no matter what'.
I started to watch this team and loved every minute. They played the same beautiful, controlled game that made me like football in the first place, that's when I knew this team was for me. Now, I watch every game and keep up to date with everything that happens. I even visited the Camp Nou last year, costing me a few thousand dollars.

Wooh, now its someone else to share.

Jaumet

All round Nice Guy
Great Story Leroy!!

My family are Catalan,

My Avi would/still talk abouts all the greats he saw down the years, he has a very very strong Accent so as a young fella i struggled to understand fully what he was saying... But i would take note of the names he used to drop and after doing more investigating i feel in love with the club.

I'll never forget getting my first Rivaldo 10 jersey from my Avi - I cherished it! I'd put it on and play in the back garden all afternoon... "To Rivaldo, Rivaldo get's past his marker, only has the keeper to... GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! RIVALDO!!! GOL!!!"

My Avi has got a bit older, we still laugh about the fact that he gets the Three Brazilians R's all mixed up.. He calls them Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldinho ! But i never really now which one he is talking about! hahah

M.L. King

The Preacher
I got a very interesting story to tell as well. Well since I'm 20 years old, I count myself as a Cule for quite some time now. Namely, as far as my memory reaches I started to pay close attention to football when Euro 1996 started. I can still remember the match between Holland and England which finished 4-1 for England. What a great match that was. I've always been surrounded by people who were absolutely crazy about this sport. So this saga went on... until the game between Paris Saint-Germain and Barca in the 1997 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final. I remember this match like it was played yesterday (you have to take into consideration that I was only a little nipper 8-9 years of age). What is more it was played on my birthday (14th of May which really is a coincidence). That Barca really fascinated me and since then I've always been a huge fan of this club. Talking non-stop about Rivaldo, Kluivert, Overmars, Luis Enrique, etc..., people said I was crazy.

There are so many wonderful memories I have, but one that really stands out is the hat-trick by Rivaldo against Valencia. We had some streaming problems due to the huge storm raging that night ... however, miraculously the picture came back and the show could begin. When Rivaldo scored that last goal I went absolutely crazy, emotions that I've never really felt again and have never really been rekindled to this level. Not even when Iniesta scored this wonderful goal against Valencia. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that the moment Rivaldo scored was one of the most wonderful moments in my life.

Anyways, in the world of football there has never been anything for me but Barca. This is my true love, THE LOVE OF MY LIFE.

Galning

I'm 17 and I've been a Barça fan since I was 2. It was my family who actually "made" me a Barça Cule because my mom and dad were both Barça fans. I loved playing football and my dad bought me a Barça shirt one day and I was soooo happy :D I think i first visited the Camp Nou when I was 6 and i've been visiting Barcelona 2-3 times a year since then.
I have all Barça shirts since 1994 even the away and 3th kits. I actually love it how they become bigger and bigger over the years when I grew older and older.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I'm 25, but I became a culé around 1992 when we got our first European Championship. I was always interested in football since a very young age, but when I saw the Dream Team play, I was just astonished, I had never seen football like that until that point, they had everything I liked about the sport. From then, I've been following Barça through good and bad, because as we know, Barça is more than a club!

Besart23

I was Bayern Munich fan since kid,cuz my dad was and still it is R.Madrid fan,and we had a lot of UCL derbies in that time.I remember crying all the night when Bayern lost to MUTD in final minutes.Anyway after couple of years i went to high school where i met my best friend,he was Barca fan.We had agreements in out disccusions cuz our common hated club was Real.I started watching Barca,but the key season when I became cule was the season when Ronaldinho came.Remember the match in bernabeu 2-1 for Barca,I felt in love with the pass he gave to Xavi i think for the winning goal.And that was the beggining of my Love,emotion,happiness which makes me proud,makes me feel football it's something related to only Barca,no one else.Now I live with a dream of meeting every single Barca player,photographing with them.I dream watching El Classico en Nou Camp.Dream Messi giving me his jersey,dream to eliminate R.Madrid ini UCL and Chelsea whenever we meet them.This is my story,which one will go one as far as my last breathing.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
My grandfather told me he supported them in 2004. The next night I watched Barca play and became instantly hooked.

Barca_Cunninggate

BarcelonaFC
Went to school one day in 2006 and my mates liked real madrid except one of them (Who later ditched Barca and went for madrid) I thought i would follow barca. I really liked ronaldinho, Looked up some of his stuff on youtube. Really got into it. And now i just love barca

R10(FCB)

Crazy
It was season 2004/05, i was bored one day and i just look what's on TV, then i saw Barca's beautiful play and great player - Ronaldinho, but that wasn't "love at first sight" i wached Barca few times again and little by little i started to like this club, and when i saw that Barca constantly play beutiful attacking football i became a fan. now i'm crazy about Barca :) As i said earlier, when i come to this forum, i started to love Barca when i saw Ronnie at Barca and because of that i'm so greatful to him.

Tomba11

It was in the mid-1970s in Spain after the dictator Franco had died. I was there, in Catalunya north of Tarragona, on vacation with my parents. And Johan Cruyff from Holland was the star of FC Barcelona. Spain had started to change and the catalonians had started to understand it was their time now to look for a brighter future for their region after a 40 year long fascist winter.

The 1973/74 season saw the arrival of a new Barça legend, Johan Cruyff. Already an established player with Ajax, Cruyff quickly won over the Barça fans when he told the European press he chose Barça over Real Madrid because he could not play for a club associated with Francisco Franco. He further endeared himself when he chose a Catalan name, Jordi, for his son.

Next to players of quality like Juan Manuel Asensi, Carles Rexach and the talented Hugo Sotil, he helped the club win the 1973–74 season for the first time since 1960, along the way defeating Real Madrid 5–0 at the Bernabéu. He was also crowned European Footballer of the Year in his first year at the club.

Everyone talked then about the rebirth of Barca and that it was because of this fabulous football player.
It wasn't difficult for a football-loving child to start loving this team and become a fan.

There have been good and bad periods of FC Barcelona since then but I have always been a fan of FCB.

Last edited:

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
I once was watching an old classico 2001-2002 i think (Live) and my older cousin told me to pick a team. lol

Ofcourse i went with the beautiful kit! i got more intrested in barca by time and now i am a fully addicted.

maz

I walk the line
hahaha thats great! So u are something like 1/164th catalan. That arsenal team was great, but in terms of history and consistency there's nothing like fcb.

Home of Barca Fans