Ronald Koeman

Sailor Mars

Even if he doesn't work out in the long run, hopefully he stays long enough to get rid of the old guard. But that isn't looking likely especially with his coddling of Busquets.

Barcilliant

What is hilarious is managers trying to play a high line with the likes of Busquets, Pique and Lenglet!
Koeman said we would see a more defensive Barca but am yet to see it.
If I were manager the first thing I'd fix is the defense. The goals will come but fix that defense.

Barcilliant

What is hilarious is managers trying to play a high line with the likes of Busquets, Pique and Lenglet!
If I were manager the first thing I'd fix is the defense. The goals will come but fix that defense.

Richard.H

We can’t fix the defense because we don’t have the personnel. You bench lenglet and then play Araujo, what if he turns out even worse/scared because he doesn’t have a lot of first team experience? Now you potentially ruined the development of a youngster. He can certainly bench busquets but busquets strikes me as the type of player who every coach loves: listens to instructions, does what’s asked of him, and keeps his mouth shut. So in the end you can slot in other players to the mid, but they might not be as obedient as him or listening to your instructions down to the tee. (Just my observation since so many coaches both club and NT have been obsessed with dinosaur Busi)

Barcilliant

You really can't blame Koeman. The pandemic has thrown teams out of their stride. Juve are in fifth position. In England City are in 13, Utd 15 and Chelsea 9 th.

Birdy

Listening and following instructions is not enough if your legs cannot carry you anymore.
Look how he lost Valverde for the goal.
The way Koeman wants to play requires two, not just one, FdJ type of players who can among other things run a lot.

I am surprised he has not rotated at all there. We have seen rotation in the front 4, even at full backs with Dest, but very little in the deep md positions

Birdy

He is very similar to EV tactically, doesnt utilise wingers, play them in all wrong positions, insisting on that stupid double pivot with Busquets which has proved to be quite a disaster under EV as well. Making extremely late subs at 80 mins. I just never understood what they have in their minds.

EV was defending in two banks of 4 in a 4-4-2, and in the attaching phase was not playing a double pivot, but rather a failed 4-3-3, with 3 mds , messi suarez and a joker (cou or demb or andre gomez whoelse was deputizing at the beginning there)
We have never really seen a 4-2-3-1, where the double pivot stays constant in both phases, and where there are 4 (instead of 3) attacking players.

About the subs you are right.

Porque

Listening and following instructions is not enough if your legs cannot carry you anymore.
Look how he lost Valverde for the goal.
The way Koeman wants to play requires two, not just one, FdJ type of players who can among other things run a lot.

I am surprised he has not rotated at all there. We have seen rotation in the front 4, even at full backs with Dest, but very little in the deep md positions

Shows how much he trusts/rates the other options.

Maybe now Dest has adapted so quickly he will give Sergi Roberto chances there.

Birdy

Shows how much he trusts/rates the other options.

Maybe now Dest has adapted so quickly he will give Sergi Roberto chances there.

Honestly that's the only position I think Roberto might prove decent.
I would try him there instead of Busi

fergus90

You really can't blame Koeman. The pandemic has thrown teams out of their stride. Juve are in fifth position. In England City are in 13, Utd 15 and Chelsea 9 th.

You can't blame Koeman for the squad he's been left with that's for certain. But he has to take responsibility for his lack of action in the Getafe and Madrid games when things weren't going well, he waited way too long to change the personnel and it was just an absolute chaotic mess when he did.

He argues that you might lose 3-1, 4-1 trying to chase the game with 10 minutes to go but if he's more sensible in his decisions he wouldn't need to be making these desperate changes. I also don't like the fact he blames refs and VAR all whilst claiming the team is on the right path.

I'm getting de ja vu of his Everton tenure where he'd have Rooney, Klassen, Barkley, Sigurdsson all on the pitch with Calvert-lewin at right back and wonder why his teams 17th. 4 CAM's with no centre-forward anything sounding familiar?

He deserves to be given a proper chance thats for certain but he also needs to buck his ideas up fast, otherwise his 'dream job' will be over in an instant.

serghei

We try that because the high line and the short distance between each compartment (defense - midfield - attack) bring you invaluable things for modern football. Imo, we should replace both CBs with 2 faster and stronger defenders who can allow us to play that high line because faster CBs have the speed to track runners in behind that high line.

At this point, if we play a high line with Pique and Lenglet we look like clowns because they are dead slow and are always hopeless at tracking runs in the space behind them.

Slow defenders is a big no-no looking forward.

Home of Barca Fans