Ronald Koeman

soul24rage

His bench for yesterday's game was: Neto, Pena, Mingueza, Umtiti, Firpo, Pjanic, Puig, Trincao, Braithwaite.

Hard to blame him for the selection. His options for Lenglet are inexperienced Mingueza and Umtiti. The only starter you can really discuss is Pedri because he is dead tired and Puig at least a somewhat decent replacement. Pjanic has done nothing in this shirt to justify a start over Busquets. Trincao? Looked like a prospect but seems to be overwhelmed with his task. Braithwaite is a squad player. He does his job but is not someone who creates something on his own.

Say what you want about Pique and Roberto, but squad is missing them as options. There is no way Pique would do worse than Lenglet. I'm sure he'd do better than the French and be a leader for Araujo, who is doing very well.
About Fati, there is not even a discussion. He is missed a lot on the left wing and his scorers are missed.
You can discuss about Coutinho being useful or not. He had a good start under Koeman but looked bad after his injury.

This squad is far from perfect and Koeman is addressing it with his wishes, but looks like there is no money for transfers, even rather cheap players like Depay and Garcia are not doable. I hope he gives Konrad a few chances as Trincao offers nothing noteable and should be loaned.

I agree and disagree with you.

-He should have started Mingueza over Lenglet on current form.
-He should have brought on Puig a lot sooner for Pedri as Pedri looked tired recently.
-Konrad should have been on the bench seeing how very ineffective Trincao has been whenever he has been off the bench.
-Edit: I forgot to add that he shouldn't have started Messi and should have kept him as a sub option.

The injuries of Pique, Bob, Fati and etc. hasn't helped at all (You might even argue that if Pique and Bob weren't injured, Araujo and Dest would not have been trusted at all) and Koeman has done some good tactical work the past 2 La Liga games, but there are certain decisions by Koeman that baffles me and only making it harder for himself.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
^ yes... lenglet is just a liability. it baffles me that koeman keeps playing him. both araujo and mingueza are better

Horatio

You're welcome
He got tactics right the few games before which have been important wins. We conceded silly goals yesterday, didn't create much in fairness which is partly on him. Still we've seen the best version of Frenkie, recently the best Griezmann at barca and we've also generally created more chances. His substitutions are incredibly poor but has a barca manager in recent years ever had such shocking subs to call on?

basically what behindbrowneyes said lol only just read it

This. We scored 2 against superior defending Bilbao. Thats why Real couldnt beat them. Unfortunately, our defense managed to concede 3.
Lenglet is costing us a lot. Bad defensive game by alba.

No joke. They are one of the best in organized defense.

Last edited:

Raketa10

His bench for yesterday's game was: Neto, Pena, Mingueza, Umtiti, Firpo, Pjanic, Puig, Trincao, Braithwaite.

Hard to blame him for the selection. His options for Lenglet are inexperienced Mingueza and Umtiti. The only starter you can really discuss is Pedri because he is dead tired and Puig at least a somewhat decent replacement. Pjanic has done nothing in this shirt to justify a start over Busquets. Trincao? Looked like a prospect but seems to be overwhelmed with his task. Braithwaite is a squad player. He does his job but is not someone who creates something on his own.

Say what you want about Pique and Roberto, but squad is missing them as options. There is no way Pique would do worse than Lenglet. I'm sure he'd do better than the French and be a leader for Araujo, who is doing very well.
About Fati, there is not even a discussion. He is missed a lot on the left wing and his scorers are missed.
You can discuss about Coutinho being useful or not. He had a good start under Koeman but looked bad after his injury.

This squad is far from perfect and Koeman is addressing it with his wishes, but looks like there is no money for transfers, even rather cheap players like Depay and Garcia are not doable. I hope he gives Konrad a few chances as Trincao offers nothing noteable and should be loaned.

+1

Horatio

You're welcome

Forget my previous ?this? post. This is the real ?this?.

This.

malvolio

i think the excuse about squad depth is overrated in this case. we had two games against some mediocre sides and we handled both games poorly. barely scraped through on penalties, against a sociedad side in free-fall.

let's not forget that it took koemman until christmas to get his shit together and ditch that awful double pivot tactic.

Last edited:

serghei

Excuses about squad depth are indeed exaggerated here, simply because overplaying your main players is the worst option you can choose. So even if the squad isn't all that, which is true nu doubt, you still can't burn out your starters in fucking January. So, does he has mitigating circumstances? Yes. Was his solution crap? Yes.

Now he has to rotate in real competitions, or risk injuries and fatigue pilling up. Put himself into a corner expertly really. Don't even want to think about a possible fuck-up vs Cornella. That would seal his fate for me.

Koeman has a bad tendency to marginalize and mistreat the players he doesn't like for some reason even at the expense of fucking up his own team. Get over that ffs, because it's not a luxury we can have atm. Every fresh pair of legs in the squad should be called into action. Should've happened already months ago.

Last edited:

JohnN

Only players that would be in a squad list for 2008-2017 Barca from our current crop are:
- Dest, as Dani alves backup for copa
- Araujo, as Pique backup for copa or easy LL
- Pedri, as a young prospect with minimal minutes
- Fati, same as above
- Coutinho, as Iniesta's inexplicably expensive backup
- Messi, as young Messi backup

That's about it. No one would come close to first 11 spot.

malvolio

Only players that would be in a squad list for 2008-2017 Barca from our current crop are:
- Dest, as Dani alves backup for copa
- Araujo, as Pique backup for copa or easy LL
- Pedri, as a young prospect with minimal minutes
- Fati, same as above
- Coutinho, as Iniesta's inexplicably expensive backup
- Messi, as young Messi backup

That's about it. No one would come close to first 11 spot.

my thoughts exactly. freaking thiago was bench material back then.

now people hype the likes of araujo, dest or mingueza, like they are some world beaters.

Home of Barca Fans