Ronald Koeman

JamDav1982

Dembele is inconsistent in every area of game from defending, passing, control to finishing.

Difficult to build a team with him as a piece to play as part of a unit for a better player as cant be relied on but for individual moments in amongst a lot of negatives.

Seems like type of player that would be better off where he is main man with team built for him and his strengths but not what Barca need.

Feels like been waiting for him to mature for far too long and wont happen. Sell him in summer.

Joan

Dembele is like a talented student with excellent hand-writing, but once you look deeper, you see he can't really do any maths. People don't just all of a sudden wake up smart. Or productive on the pitch.

Chances are it's not happening. It surely isn't changing much.

Bobo32

Dembele is like a talented student with excellent hand-writing, but once you look deeper, you see he can't really do any maths. People don't just all of a sudden wake up smart. Or productive on the pitch.

It's strange that so many still hasn't found out about his maths ability after him being here for years... Other people understood that before he came...

Kubala

If Koeman watched any of our CL games for the last three years, watched how Pique played and then genuinely believed that a 70% Pique was a better option than either Mingueza or Umtiti, he should be sacked immediately.

Koeman bowed to Amigos here, plain and simple. No one sane honestly would have thought that was a good idea against one of the fastest players in the world.

He is either an absolute idiot or he was weak in a moment he needed to be strong. Either one is unforgivable. Call it harsh but I for one am tired of watching us get embarrassed.

We are all tired of watching us get embarrassed, that doesn't mean it's all Pique's fault. Of course he isn't the player he once was but my point is Koeman obviously thought he was needed. I don't think it was anything to do with 'amigos', lets not forget how terrible we were defensively against Sevilla, Betis, Grenada, Bilbao etc, non of which Pique played in.

i_bleed_blaugrana

We are all tired of watching us get embarrassed, that doesn't mean it's all Pique's fault. Of course he isn't the player he once was but my point is Koeman obviously thought he was needed. I don't think it was anything to do with 'amigos', lets not forget how terrible we were defensively against Sevilla, Betis, Grenada, Bilbao etc, non of which Pique played in.

I can certainly see what your saying man, do not get me wrong. I hate having a go at Pique like this too. I always loved him and defended him over the years and bringing positive energy is important for morale in the dressing room. I also think Araujo going down made Koeman feel like he somewhat did not have much of a choice.

That said, the truth though is that Piques time being world class and truly important to this team ended at Anfield. He has been a shadow of himself since and even Busi, Alba and obviously Messi show their class from time to time. He just has not done the same and he has been a liability out there for us for a while now.

It is a classic dilemma for managers: try a less-experienced but fully fit reserve/youngster or gamble on the starter who is not match fit. You could literally use a Boolean square to draw this out from a RAT perspective but to summarize, this decision is weighted towards either depending on how important the starter is to the overall system. There are surely other factors but for brevity, I would say this is the most important one. Pique, plain and simple, is not as instrumental to this team anymore as say Messi is. That in mind, I still think the more rational decision is to gamble on Mingueza or Umtiti, who at least have some decent match rhythm and form.

Which leads me to believe something else weighed into this decision. I mean, lets get real for a minute. If Koeman really wants to lead a revolution here, it takes the balls to make decisions like that for the better of the team and club. I bring up the amigos because the sway and influence Gerard possesses is no secret and when the pressure was on, Koeman buckled to that influence rather than making, in my opinion, the right but gutsy call.

It just really makes me question his ability to make these big calls next year and down the line. Between that and just how bad we looked against PSG and his overall record against top teams, it makes me seriously question if he should be here past this season. It is sad because I think he has done more good than others but we have to be ruthless right now.

If we sneak La Liga or a CdR, he might just do enough to earn a summer window and stay but otherwise, we should just reset with a proper, fresh project.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
Dembele's issues aren't tactical or team based, though. He gets plenty of time on the ball, plenty of opportunities for 1vs1s, gets opportunities for counter-attacks every game, and though he does face plenty of low blocks he still receives the ball in plenty of situations where he has time and space to think. When you're 1 on 1 with a defender and you slow down, take 5 touches, and give time for the defensive line to recuperate that's on you. When you're 1 on 1 with a defender and you fake shot (being one of your only two skills) and you hit the ball straight at the CB and lose possession, that's on you. When you're 1 on 1 with a GK and you pass the ball straight at the keeper, that's on you. When players like Fati are constantly finding themselves with opportunities for a shot on goal because they're moving inside the box, and you're not getting opportunities because you're busy sitting on the sideline, that's on you. When fullbacks now know how to neutralize you because your other preferred skill is just kicking it and running, then that's on you.

He fails to convert opportunities because of his decision making and lack of creativity, not because of the team. He knows how to sprint and cross, but he has no idea how to function as a forward. But yes, he's the least of our problems; though he is a big one.

I think you and I have a different understanding of the depth of the coach's influence on the players. I think, and I saw, and heard that a player divides his career before and after a coach. I have seen coaches who have changed the way a player thinks about football. And in this case, we only need a few small changes, not a philosophical metamorphosis. I'm just saying it 's better to wait. He is not the first problem of the team.

vegitot

Crazy that some people still think he can become something as good as Ronaldinho. He is already 23 and this is his 4tg season. How long do club have to wait??? Full fit Dembele scores 2 goals in Laliga this season. Fati outscores him despite not playing for months. Even Trincao scores more than him in Liga.

Sell him in the summer if get some decent price like 50 millions. That is only thing he can do to the club.

vegitot

I think you and I have a different understanding of the depth of the coach's influence on the players. I think, and I saw, and heard that a player divides his career before and after a coach. I have seen coaches who have changed the way a player thinks about football. And in this case, we only need a few small changes, not a philosophical metamorphosis. I'm just saying it 's better to wait. He is not the first problem of the team.

This team also will not have a top coach soon. Good luck with Pep will buy Dembele.

And just how long??? This is his 4th season. 4th, not 1st or 2nd. All what if. Neymar suffers several injuries but he is million times better than this guy.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything

That's a terrible analogy.

Joan

talent students aren't talented because of hand writing wtf type of school did you go to.
No one i know correlates handwriting to talent, hence it being a terrible analogy.
It literally makes no sense to me.

Oh well, I concede, it is a terrible analogy.

But it's also true in a sense that he might have all the right prerequisites, but lacks basics to make it work.

Kubala

It just really makes me question his ability to make these big calls next year and down the line. Between that and just how bad we looked against PSG and his overall record against top teams, it makes me seriously question if he should be here past this season. It is sad because I think he has done more good than others but we have to be ruthless right now.

If we sneak La Liga or a CdR, he might just do enough to earn a summer window and stay but otherwise, we should just reset with a proper, fresh project.

Yeh, completely agree. It was a difficult ask for him but there aren't really any signs of even halting the decline.

Gnidrologist

I'm okay wit him getting one more season, when he can sell/buy some players according to his needs and have (hopefully) more or less full squad, including Fati and likes of Wynaldum, if he gets him. There will be no significant change, if we throw him out and get another pie in sky. I think Xavi could be smart coach, but he should wait for his dead weight retiree pals to actually retire for real before coming here.

Home of Barca Fans