Ronald Koeman

Joan

Between '14 and '17 Netherlands went through 3 coaches(two highly respected and awful Danny Blind) all failed to make the team work. Then Koeman came in rebuild team and tactics in a very short time and in span of half a year we went from a team that was written off to compete in the long future to a team that was ready to lose Euro and World finals finals again(joke).
Did you think I wouldn't get it?
Don't know why I am explaing this. Pretty sure at the time it was going on this was some of the talk in football circles, how Dutch had fallen. Probably because now it doesn't work in favor of some of narrative of some posters here people have become oblivious to it.
That's fine. Should've asked better questions. Was more preoccupied with his tactical understanding.

I did try to follow his Netherlands stint and watch some of the matches. Both games against Germany, for example. He even won one, if I remember well. But don't think any of this makes him tactically astute. And it's such a small sample that I don't see how'd you compare his tactical knowledge to others.

Rebuilding a team (like he did with the Dutch) takes a skillset much broader than that. Which might make this Barca a great fit for him.

I mean, I don't know if he's a great tactician. Never struck me as one, just wanted to see where you were coming from.

Horatio

You're welcome
[MENTION=22463]Joan[/MENTION]

That last paragraph I was being facetious. Don't take it too seriously. Of course it has been easier for me to follow the process Netherlands went through.
I do have a wide international network and I did have many friends around world messaging me after brazil world cup how sad it is what is going on with Netherlands .

I don't know if Koeman is a great tactician either. He is surely capable. I just rate him above Zidane tactically. Which isn't weird to assume since Koeman has almost 3 times the experience Zidane has. Zidane has his strengths but seems to have very poor eye for player strength and tactics don't go very deep.

Last edited:

Birdy

Rebuilding a team (like he did with the Dutch) takes a skillset much broader than that. Which might make this Barca a great fit for him.

I mean, I don't know if he's a great tactician. Never struck me as one, just wanted to see where you were coming from.

We should pay attention to the whole coaching team as well. Koeman might not be an astute tactician, but Schreuder has the reputation of one.
Koeman alone might not be as effective compared to Koeman with Schreuder and Larson.
Some people are better at some tasks, some at others, the final outcome of the whole combo working together is what should be assessed.

Tons of similar examples of course in football history.
Rijkaard a good one: his only great coaching job in his entire career was at Barca when Henk Ten Cate (an astute tactician which however failed miserably as a 1st coach elsewhere) was his right hand...

Joan

[MENTION=22463]Joan[/MENTION]

That last paragraph I was being facetious. Don't take it too seriously. Of course it has been easier for me to follow the process Netherlands went through.
I do have a wide international network and I did have many friends around world messaging me after brazil world cup how sad it is what is going on with Netherlands .

I don't know if Koeman is a great tactician either. He is surely capable. I just rate him above Zidane tactically. Zidane has his strengths but seems to have very poor eye for player strength and tactics don't go very deep.

I took the bait then...

Anyways, I too think Koeman is a good coach. All-around. Has a nice skill-set which feels much needed at Barca right now. Has authority due to the character and his legend status, trusts the kids too. I don't think it's all circumstantial as some seem to, either. Actually, his tactics and reactions after drawbacks have been my biggest concerns so far.

Horatio

You're welcome
I took the bait then...

Anyways, I too think Koeman is a good coach. All-around. Has a nice skill-set which feels much needed at Barca right now. Has authority due to the character and his legend status, trusts the kids too. I don't think it's all circumstantial as some seem to, either. Actually, his tactics and reactions after drawbacks have been my biggest concerns so far.

Fair opinion. I approve it.

Joan

Enjoying it, [MENTION=20218]Horatio[/MENTION]?

Fair play to Koeman. Sevilla created half of a chance in these two matches combined.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
May this be the first step towards a new era.

Barto jailed, Barca in Copa Final, Laporta returns. So much burden lifted.

LeeRomeno

Certainly managed to learn from his mistakes against Sevilla, great 2 games. Also such a joy watching command the troops before extra time.

serghei

Worked out in the end, good job. Nice fighting from the team under him in this Copa del Rey. Will be a well-earned title hopefully.

Horatio

You're welcome
Enjoying it, [MENTION=20218]Horatio[/MENTION]?

Fair play to Koeman. Sevilla created half of a chance in these two matches combined.

Of course. I had faith we would overturn it. Went to watch it in a bar with two madridistas. They were smiling until 3rd goal.

mc_lovin

Even if the game ends 1:0 he earned another season for me (if we keep it up). As long as there's growth I am on board with him.

Home of Barca Fans