Ronald Koeman

khaled_a_d

Different times now though, and Ajax seem to be repeating their performances of last season despite losing Mattijhs de Ligt and F. de Jong, which makes him an even better candidate for the job as he's still finding a way for his system to work to keep winning.

Football have evolved, but Koeman like van Gaal has not. They're managers who love to keep possession for the sake of keeping possession, but have no clue what to do with the ball.

Both strong personalities, but often strong to the point most of the teams they manage turn against them, a la Jose Mourinho.

Not comparing current Koeman to current Hag.
I am saying why the next Koeman (Hag) is supposed to have better success when moving to different difficult tasks than the original Koeman did when he was younger? Peter Bosz did the same.
And LVG evolved a lot as a manager until he coached Manu, it was his retirement home by then.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not comparing current Koeman to current Hag.
I am saying why the next Koeman (Hag) is supposed to have better success when moving to different difficult tasks than the original Koeman did when he was younger? Peter Bosz did the same.
And LVG evolved a lot as a manager until he coached Manu, it was his retirement home by then.

Peter Bosz never led Ajax to a successful CL run. Completely different. What Koeman did almost a couple of decades ago is not relevant to what football is today. That's my point.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I'll take the guy who's having success recently over the man who had success a long time ago and is only the front runner because he got the ancient "Barca DNA" as Ernesto Valverde supposedly did too.

LVG at Bayern was hardly spectacular. He did a good job promoting youth though, he's great at that, but overall he was more of a failure than a success story. Also kinda batshit, but he's always been that lol.

Zidane82

I thought he was terrible at Southampton and even worse at Everton. His signings were beyond poor as well.

His Everton side played like Val Gaal's Manchester United but even more defensive and dull.

It would be a bit of a fairy tale to have another Barca legend as a coach but I don't know - maybe he'd work better with better players if he's told to just coach the team and leave the signings to the board...

There's not many options out there though, perhaps we'll give him a shot on a short term deal or something.

To be fair you can’t really compare Barca ( even the current Barca) to Everton or Southampton

khaled_a_d

Peter Bosz never led Ajax to a successful CL run. Completely different. What Koeman did almost a couple of decades ago is not relevant to what football is today. That's my point.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I'll take the guy who's having success recently over the man who had success a long time ago and is only the front runner because he got the ancient "Barca DNA" as Ernesto Valverde supposedly did too.

LVG at Bayern was hardly spectacular. He did a good job promoting youth though, he's great at that, but overall he was more of a failure than a success story. Also kinda batshit, but he's always been that lol.

I am not sure how reaching CL final for 1st time in 9 years isn't impressive and failure with the team he had? but anyway that is a side talk to the discussion anyway.
And again, I understand your points in Koeman, but you really need to take a hard look in his career when you are "all in" on a guy like Ten Hag.
Watching Ajax back at that time, Koeman was literally the Ten Hag of his time but even younger and had a legacy as a player behind him. We wanted him over Rijkaard and he turned us down (he said because of his contract, but likely because we were a mess, Eredivisie still had a good reputation and better overall league than now)
Next job? bad, next one bad.

DonAK

I am not sure how reaching CL final for 1st time in 9 years isn't impressive and failure with the team he had? but anyway that is a side talk to the discussion anyway.
And again, I understand your points in Koeman, but you really need to take a hard look in his career when you are "all in" on a guy like Ten Hag.
Watching Ajax back at that time, Koeman was literally the Ten Hag of his time but even younger and had a legacy as a player behind him. We wanted him over Rijkaard and he turned us down (he said because of his contract, but likely because we were a mess, Eredivisie still had a good reputation and better overall league than now)
Next job? bad, next one bad.

And then they collapsed. I suppose I was being too harsh to say he was a flop, but wasn't a big success either despite that one CL run.

I see your point about Koeman and his career, but wouldn't you rather go with the manager who's had recent success and is backing that up without a couple of key players, over a guy who had success 10+ years ago, and had his club career tarnished by one bad job after the other?

The question comes down to going with the guy having recent success and employing a style of play and system that's working vs. any opposition

or

A guy who showed the same type of success a long time ago that you hope will replicate that after a series of poor jobs and sackings

Messi983

Former Bar?a player and current Holland coach Ronald Koeman was admitted to the hospital earlier today for a heart problem. He was riding his bike and didn't feel well, having chest pains and chills. He will be discharged on Monday #GetWellSoonKoeman [md]

DonAK

Another average choice that's not won anything or showed he's capable of improving his team. Managed Valencia(ok they're a mess so I cut him some slack here), Southampton and Everton and all tenures have been meh.

JamDav1982

Another average choice that's not won anything or showed he's capable of improving his team. Managed Valencia(ok they're a mess so I cut him some slack here), Southampton and Everton and all tenures have been meh.

His Everton and Valencia tenure were much worse then 'meh' he had them heading towards relegation.

Soton he actually did a good job but had a very strong squad left to him by their standards.

No top coach will take it now anyway. Just need someone who will wield axe and take decisions needed more than anything.

DonAK

His Everton and Valencia tenure were much worse then 'meh' he had them heading towards relegation.

Soton he actually did a good job but had a very strong squad left to him by their standards.

No top coach will take it now anyway. Just need someone who will wield axe and take decisions needed more than anything.

Yeah it's only going to be a one year thing anyway.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He's a caretaker who will establish the precedent of how to use FDJ in the midfield. Both Setien and Valverde have treated him like he's supposed to be the next Iniesta when he's not.

I think Koeman is familiar enough to FDJ to not make that same mistake. And that itself can change the team drastically.

Home of Barca Fans