Ronald Koeman

G.J

V.H. 4 life
I think its harsh to judge him on his spell with Valencia. I mean who looks good with that kind of atmosphere? and yet he won a title, something Emre failed to do.

Beast

The Observer
I think its harsh to judge him on his spell with Valencia. I mean who looks good with that kind of atmosphere? and yet he won a title, something Emre failed to do.

WHAT and when does the COPA count as a title ?? neither Real nor Barca give it the light of day and u know it .. if they reached the Semi they start to take it seriously if not it's ok ... and more crap managers won the Copa on that basis

... he almost got them relegated, wasted million on crap players ..how can u take a team from 4th spot (Behind Real-Barca-Seville ) when he took over from Sanchez Flores to surviving relegation with the same squad of players plus those who he bought ?
how can u exclude the Captain - Keeper ..etc and divide the players and make a scandal in the liga the same way ..

wtf Gj .. he is a crap manager, crap man management skills and Valencia was so damn easy to beat under him.. Emre piss all over Koeman no doubt and to quote Joaquin on Koeman "we were like headless chicken when he was in charge " .. the man is the worst Valencia manager in over a decade

gazza

92 was the year i started to support Barca.
Watched the final and Koeman's brilliant goal.
Same year i booked a holiday to Salou and went on the stadium tour.
Never seen a trophy room like that before.
Had my picture taken next to the european cup.
Then walked out into the stadium it took my breath away, cannot remember if i said anything i was awestruck.
Ah memories.

G.J

V.H. 4 life
WHAT and when does the COPA count as a title ?? neither Real nor Barca give it the light of day and u know it .. if they reached the Semi they start to take it seriously if not it's ok ... and more crap managers won the Copa on that basis

... he almost got them relegated, wasted million on crap players ..how can u take a team from 4th spot (Behind Real-Barca-Seville ) when he took over from Sanchez Flores to surviving relegation with the same squad of players plus those who he bought ?
how can u exclude the Captain - Keeper ..etc and divide the players and make a scandal in the liga the same way ..

wtf Gj .. he is a crap manager, crap man management skills and Valencia was so damn easy to beat under him.. Emre piss all over Koeman no doubt and to quote Joaquin on Koeman "we were like headless chicken when he was in charge " .. the man is the worst Valencia manager in over a decade

There is no question that he stank up the place, but my point is when there is a division in the squad + economic crisis + players out of order + internal fight between president and sporting director. It's very hard to do well. Give him some time before condemning him as a failure, that’s all I'm saying.

Did he get a say in all his buys?

Beast

The Observer
There is no question that he stank up the place, but my point is when there is a division in the squad + economic crisis + players out of order + internal fight between president and sporting director. It's very hard to do well. Give him some time before condemning him as a failure, that’s all I'm saying.

Did he get a say in all his buys?

same set of players and he got the excluded players back and look where Emery is .. he was the one creating a division with his exclusion of Albelda-Angulo & Cani .. not the other way around...

Emery didn't even buy a single player ... Koeman is a failure

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
I loved him, his ingeniosity with the ball and a vision ... especially those crossfield passes to H.Stoickhov, ahhh those were the times when i first got into Barca :wub:

As a manager, well was different story and, as somebody said before, great players rarely turn into great managers(one of them was Van Basten coz of who i actually started watching footie ;) ... but also, when there r several problems in a club, one guy can't be a magician ...

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
AZ has sacked Ronald Koeman after a poor start to the season.

Will always be a legend..but as a player, not a manager.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
AZ has sacked Ronald Koeman after a poor start to the season.

Will always be a legend..but as a player, not a manager.

I agree... like a player, was a genius... as a manager... nothing special to say about him. I think that only in Benfica he reach the quarts of final of CL, in 1996 (beat by Barça).

F

Flavia

Ronald Koeman Sport.es interview

Ronald Koeman still professes his love for Barca even after all these years. Even those Barcelona fans who have never seen him play know the contribution that this mild-mannered former Dream Team player made to this club’s history. It was his lone goal against Sampdoria in Wembley in the ’92 European Cup final – the precursor to the UEFA Champions League – that gave this club its first top European title.
Below is a translation of the interview he gave Sport.es today.

Welcome home again…
Thanks.

What’s New?
My whole family was in Barcelona [recently] ​​taking advantage of the fact that I was here as the Barca-Madrid match commentator for a US television network.

So you were at the Camp Nou?
Yes, I watched the game live.

And?
It was simply wonderful. A big football match, intense, cleverly played by Barca, and yes, this time a Real Madrid side that wanted [to play] but failed in the end.
This Guardiola’s Barca side is on its way to winning its third consecutive League title. And on the 28th it is going for its second European Cup title.

Come on! They are pursuing [the achievements of] Johan Cruyff’s Dream Team, your Dream Team…
It is… But yes, I think Guardiola’s team is an even better side than ours.

[Obviously] you know better than anyone else…
This Barca team is better for several reasons. First, it is a lot more consistent. It almost never loses! We caved in quite a few times and even won two of our Leagues titles at our last breath.

And second?
It is much more balanced tactically, [playing a] very special kind of defensive game. Well, what I mean by defensive system is the fact that their forwards and midfield pressed a lot that sometimes their defenders are able to create a lot more than they do defending.

Yes, Pique is quite similar to you…
To play in this way one needs to be very fit physically, and have the ability to put into action all five senses into the game. No one is at a lost, and they all work together. And then there is one quality that this side has that [some] people fail to see, something that is remarkable…

So tell us [what it is?]…
Humility. It’s not baloney when [we say] that twelve of the boys in this team are from the cantera. Today the Barca dressing room is united around a philosophy, a culture, which they grew up with since their childhood. In my time, the leaders [in the team] were a Dutch, a Bulgarian, a Brazilian, a Dane, a Basque… Today they all share the same language and the same culture. And it shows. They are more united than we ever were.

Indeed…
You see Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro, Busquets, they are so normal. Far from the diva image that other players have, and you can understand why this Barca side is admired but not others.

You can’t say that of Cristiano Ronaldo, right?
Individually, he is a great player, but Messi is a much more decisive player, plus he plays more for the team and his teammates. Having Messi around is priceless. He is the differentiating factor. He is sure to win many more Ballon d’Ors and titles as his hunger seems like there is no limits to it. He is an immense player.

Has Pep’s decision to play him in the middle as opposed to the wings the key [to Messi’s success]?
Absolutely, Johan Cruyff did something similar with Michael Laudrup in the Dream Team. He played as a false nine, dropping deep to the middle. We had superiority and we were surprising our opponents from the inside or outside with Txiki, Hristo, our midfielders…

When you heard the complaints coming from Mourinho the other day, you were angry…
Yes, because he spoke about matches that has nothing to do with him [E.g. Barca win over Arsenal]. He disrespected Guardiola who is his friend and a club where he was once employed, which is Barca. He should have shown a lot more respect and manners.

And what about his conspiracy theory?
That Barca won with referees’ aid? The rest of the world, which is impartial, has ruled and said that Barca was the better side. Pepe’s red at the Bernabeu was just. His lunge was a dangerous foul play. The problem with Madrid was that they were playing for a draw, a tactic that is not typical of Madrid.
And in Barcelona, they cannot talk about the disallowed goal because the referee blew his whistle before the foul of Ronaldo on Mascherano. If you only have one shot on goal it is impossible for you to eliminate this Barca. And they have no grounds to complain for last Tuesday they should have ended the match with ten or nine men. Messi alone had eleven fouls committed against him!

Is Barca above the rest?
A step above, yes. Real Madrid is close for it has a great team, but it still does not know how to play against Barca. They only won once, in extra time, and that is after a titanic effort.

Barcelona or Manchester United?
Barca. It has the better team and plays the better football. That does not mean they cannot lose a one off match because in one match every [small] detail can change the course of the game.

Thierry

Hail to our Legendary Ronald Koeman.
Hate to admit, but I was only 9 and knew very little of what was happening at the time.. nevertheless, I watched that match like a true FCB fan I was raised to be.:D.

Tazim

I agree... like a player, was a genius... as a manager... nothing special to say about him. I think that only in Benfica he reach the quarts of final of CL, in 1996 (beat by Barça).

He also reached the 1/4 finale with Ajax.. great team back then with Ibrahimovic, Maxwell, Sneijder, Pienaar, van der Vaart, Chivu..

Home of Barca Fans