Martin Montoya

xXKonan

What was going on in here back in January :lol:
In one of the games we played vs Valencia, he was having the game of his life against us. And when he played Real he had a disaster class gifting Real two goals.

that's what the conversation was in January. :lol:

xXKonan

That's the good thing about these EPL clubs especially the Mid-lower table teams or fresh promoted teams that are desperate to make signings in order to survive and they look at La Liga teams,Serie A,Ligue 1 etc and are willing to splash the cash on their players.

One man's trash is another man's treasure so to speak. Montoya is a decent RB but very unremarkable and 7 million euros is a good price for someone like him.

Total-Football

those thread titles are ridiculous.. qsg divemar etc.. forums, by definition, is a place where different ideas meet. if not, it would be a tedious place where the same opinion is expressed differently. title should be neutral non influential and it s up to individuals to take a stand: be it neymar the goat or neymar the clown.

God Serena

those thread titles are ridiculous.. qsg divemar etc.. forums, by definition, is a place where different ideas meet. if not, it would be a tedious place where the same opinion is expressed differently. title should be neutral non influential and it s up to individuals to take a stand: be it neymar the goat or neymar the clown.

We're a Barca forum. Why the hell should we be neutral? :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

That's the good thing about these EPL clubs especially the Mid-lower table teams or fresh promoted teams that are desperate to make signings in order to survive and they look at La Liga teams,Serie A,Ligue 1 etc and are willing to splash the cash on their players.

One man's trash is another man's treasure so to speak. Montoya is a decent RB but very unremarkable and 7 million euros is a good price for someone like him.

Yep. If you read Everton forum they seem very happy with 3 Barca players. French international, Colombian international and Portuguese. . I mean they have different standards but none of these guys are world beaters.

To us, Mina, Digne and Gomes are irrelevant. Digne was okay backup. Gomes trash. Mina was never going to get any playing time.

I wish them the best though and I'm certainly Everton fan now.. I hope they have great season!

Last edited:

utility73

Watching Southampton vs Brighton and how Montoya getting outplayed by Nathan Redmond time and again. How he ever made it to quite some appearances for Barça seems like a mystery in hindsight :)

xXKonan

There was a time he was ahead of Carvajal in the pecking order for Spain's youth teams. And he looked like the RB for the future.

There were also rumors that his attitude wasn't great and didn't work hard enough in training which didn't make the coaches happy. I mean even Douglas was ahead of him at one point in the pecking order under Lucho :lol:

His development stalled badly when he hit the first team but I guess you can chalk it up to him not really being as good as people thought he could be. He's not a terrible RB but he's so unremarkable at pretty much everything

khaled_a_d

There was a time he was ahead of Carvajal in the pecking order for Spain's youth teams. And he looked like the RB for the future.

There were also rumors that his attitude wasn't great and didn't work hard enough in training which didn't make the coaches happy. I mean even Douglas was ahead of him at one point in the pecking order under Lucho :lol:

His development stalled badly when he hit the first team but I guess you can chalk it up to him not really being as good as people thought he could be. He's not a terrible RB but he's so unremarkable at pretty much everything

The worst part is despite all what you said, it is still understatement of what big dissappointment he was.

Montoya was part of the great La Masia 1991 generation, that team that was supposed to even exlipse the 87 generation and became even better. Spain won one of the youth Euro's with a team of 6 starters from that team.

Unlike Bartra/Tello for example, Montoya was hyped from the start while a player like Bartra had to live under the shadow of other players like Oriol(DM) ,Montoya, and Terron(that guy was called next Ayala, and ended up in Tercera and is probably retired by now) Alex (GK) etc but he also didn't fade away early like the other names and continued to grow until reached Barca B

He was by far the most hyped La Masia fullback ever, only Grimaldo might come close. He was dominating second division and was considered Spain's most promising full back, Segunda best FB and was called for Spain NT, the team that dominated the world of football for 4 years (although he didn't play) and after that he ended up being awfully bad. Him (and his La Masia generation) was one of the main reason I turned from obsessed with La Masia to La Masia skeptical.

It is quit amazing out of this La masia generation (counting one year older/younger players) only S.Roberto made it here -Thiago too but he left- while guys like Mérida,Bojan,Falque Munisia failed.

As for Montoya,I think part of it is his lack of typical physical attributed of FB, he is simply slow which is a bad thing for a FB, his carftiness was neither elite for top level and he was simply one of those players who couldn't adapt when he wasn't the top talent on field, a bit like Deulofeu in that regard although Gerard had the speed but lacked football iq.

Last edited:

Messi983

He's back in La Liga.

EgRo8KhWkAEjYHK

Home of Barca Fans