John Terry

C

Carefree

I'm not contradicting myself. Ferdinand has previously proved what a wonderful player he is, last season he had injury problems. I still think he's a world class player. Form is temporary, class is permanent springs to mind. But I don't think Terry's ever been world class.

I suppose he was very ordinary in 2004/05 and Carvalho, Cech and Makelele were the only ones responsible for us conceeding a record breaking 15 goals for the entire season... right? The same John Terry who was then voted the PFA player of the year and UEFA's best defender for that season!

Speaking of which, when was the last time Rio won an individual accolade like that? Oh, that's right, he NEVER has, whilst JT has won it three times. Ferdinand is one of the most overrated defenders of the past 30 years. Bar a top season in 2007, he's always been slagged off for lack of concentration when play matters, and yet he's still regarded as a world class centre-back. It's bizarre.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Tbh I don't really rate Ferdinand, he's only had 2 years when he's been really good, but other than that, like Carefree said, he was better known for his defensive lapses than being a world class defender.

C

Carefree

I'd also like to chime in on this whole 'players making other players look better' topic. When you get a world class CB partnership, you're going to have 2 players who's strengths compliment that of the guy they are partnered with, who have a great understanding, ones where a player is able to cover for the other's deficiencies. That is the makings of the best CB partnerships, you'll never find otherwise(in terms of world class pairings, not EVERY single defence). A guy is never going to look as good if he's partnered with an average player or a guy who is exactly like him.

Exactly, which is why the Gallas/Terry partnership worked to near perfection. Gallas had the pace JT didn't have, and JT had the brawn Gallas didn't.

On another note, i'd like someone to name me a defender with a better pass on them than Terry. With either foot, he's the best passer of the ball England have (Scholes aside). His ability on the ball is vastly underrated, and a large reason why he's considered by his peers to be a top class centre-back.

Bergkamp10

I suppose he was very ordinary in 2004/05 and Carvalho, Cech and Makelele were the only ones responsible for us conceeding a record breaking 15 goals for the entire season... right? The same John Terry who was then voted the PFA player of the year and UEFA's best defender for that season!

Speaking of which, when was the last time Rio won an individual accolade like that? Oh, that's right, he NEVER has, whilst JT has won it three times. Ferdinand is one of the most overrated defenders of the past 30 years. Bar a top season in 2007, he's always been slagged off for lack of concentration when play matters, and yet he's still regarded as a world class centre-back. It's bizarre.

Footballers aren't always the best judges of characters, y'know. Carvahlo was much better than Terry that season yet Terry got the plaudits because he's english. He's won a few individual honors but I think a lot of that is on reputation.

Ferdinand is world class, and none of you baffling on about how great Terry is is going to make me change my mind on that. I'd have him over Terry any day of the week and I think most people would because he's better.

Look, Terry is a good defender but is not a world class one and never will be. I think we should just agree to disagree on this one because I will never, ever view John Terry as a top player.

Exactly, which is why the Gallas/Terry partnership worked to near perfection. Gallas had the pace JT didn't have, and JT had the brawn Gallas didn't.

On another note, i'd like someone to name me a defender with a better pass on them than Terry. With either foot, he's the best passer of the ball England have (Scholes aside). His ability on the ball is vastly underrated, and a large reason why he's considered by his peers to be a top class centre-back.

Pique, Vermaelen just for starters.

C

Carefree

Didn't say he wasn't, but not even close to being a better passer of the ball than Terry. In fact, i'm surprised an Arsenal fan has said that considering he made a few brilliant defence splitting passes against your mob last season, particularly at the Emirates. Either foot too, puts Steven Gerrard and his mythical great 40 yard passes to shame.

Bergkamp10

Didn't say he wasn't, but not even close to being a better passer of the ball than Terry. In fact, i'm surprised an Arsenal fan has said that considering he made a few brilliant defence splitting passes against your mob last season, particularly at the Emirates. Either foot too, puts Steven Gerrard and his mythical great 40 yard passes to shame.

Sorry, think Vermaelen's a better passer although Terry's got a good pass on him too. I'm off now mate to watch the x factor :lol: so we'll agree to disagree.

Trequartista

The good
it looks that like the majority of players not playing for Barca,Terry is very underrated here,not athe best but a fantastic defender for sure

W

woobie

Well, gee. I agree with the bolded statement too. IMO Terry is a good enough defender but he's been made out to be a world beater in part because of the quality of his CB partners both at club and national team levels. And I agree with the various lists that've been put forward of top ten defenders too (the lists that don't put Terry anywhere near the top). I don't think it's bitterness at all; for me it's a matter of objective observation.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
pique is the best passing centre back in world football. lucio might also have something to say about that. also thats something maybe i didn't notice, i never really thought terry took it out of defence and passed it around before.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Ferdinand is MUCH better than Terry.

Ferdinand had more than 2 years at the top.

I still believe he was the main influence on utd's title win in 03. Arsenal were a far better team with a weak mentality then, but they were brilliant, but Rio made utd a rock at the back all season for them to build on.

From 2006 till now he has been amongst the top 5 centre backs in the world imo.

Just look at how shite utd are at the back when he is missing. People say Vidic is the better player but this theory also blows horseshit when you see how utd perform with and without rio.

Trequartista

The good
Ferdinand is MUCH better than Terry.

Ferdinand had more than 2 years at the top.

I still believe he was the main influence on utd's title win in 03. Arsenal were a far better team with a weak mentality then, but they were brilliant, but Rio made utd a rock at the back all season for them to build on.

From 2006 till now he has been amongst the top 5 centre backs in the world imo.

Just look at how shite utd are at the back when he is missing. People say Vidic is the better player but this theory also blows horseshit when you see how utd perform with and without rio.

Vidic is much,really much better than Ferdinand and Terry,argubaly world's best defender along with Pique

Home of Barca Fans