John Terry

Barcilliant

A shitty defender and an even worse person off the field. John Terry will end up a broke homeless bum. No pace, no intelligence-nothing. If he wasnt a Chelsea boy and wasnt so pampered by the English media and the EPL hype machine he would be nothing. He isnt in the top 20 defenders in the world at the moment.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
He wouldn't make my top ten for the decade either. In no particular order, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Thuram, Puyol, Samuel, Ayala, Carvalho, Lucio, Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic are all better. He might make top 15 though. Also honorable mention to Chygrynskiy

MoFroBo

He wouldn't make my top ten for the decade either. In no particular order, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Thuram, Puyol, Samuel, Ayala, Carvalho, Lucio, Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic are all better. He might make top 15 though. Also honorable mention to Chygrynskiy

Chyg must be proud :D Oh don't be so harsh on him :(

Bergkamp10

A shitty defender and an even worse person off the field. John Terry will end up a broke homeless bum. No pace, no intelligence-nothing. If he wasnt a Chelsea boy and wasnt so pampered by the English media and the EPL hype machine he would be nothing. He isnt in the top 20 defenders in the world at the moment.

This x100000000.

Gets made to look better than he is by his defensive partner. Was dreadful last season.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members

You missed Zanetti.

C

Carefree

This x100000000.

Gets made to look better than he is by his defensive partner. Was dreadful last season.

Eh? He was the best defender in the world up until the news story broke about his affair with Bridge's ex girlfriend. :rolleyes:

Giggs was voted by players as the player of the season 2 years ago(after like 5 good games)... Enough said. Terry won the award in his peak years when our defence was at its best, plus he's the title winning captain and English(after Henry had won it 600 times I'm sure everybody was hanging for an Englishman to actually win it). Man one year there was nobody really deserving to win it so they just give it to Gerrard, gtfo. :lol:

In 2004/05, John Terry played well over 50 games for us and was our best player along with Frank Lampard. He was the reason our defence was so good. Claude Makelele and Petr Cech seem to get the praise for that, even though at the time it was quite clear who the best defender in the world was. Skip 5 years on and he's the most hated man in the country along with Ashley Cole, quite easy to forget he's actually brilliant at his job.

How on earth can you begin to even compare that with Ryan Giggs a couple years ago? :lol: Oh dear.

Gallas was awesome in his Chelsea years, whether he played as a CB or LB he was awesome, but changing him over for Cole was one of the best bits of business we did. Willy was never going to do as well at Arsenal cause they've always had a pants defence, as good as he was he wasn't a leader who would improve the defence as a whole, he'd just be another defender in a circus. Put Terry there and he'd look worse too, but at least they'd have some good organization. Carvalho is recognized by almost everyone as the best defender we had(just too injury prone), he's the one who'd hold the defence together if Terry was injured(like a couple years ago) or getting his ass beat by guys with something resembling agility and speed.

Errr, bar 2008 when Riccy was up there with Vidic, he has never been as good as JT. Gallas was fantastic in central defence when he did play offering us the perfect centre back pairing with his pace, but he lost it to Carvalho, and spent the remainder of his time kicking up a fuss, and don't give me this bollocks Terry would look average in the Arsenal defence too, it's a crap argument cause you know fully well Gallas wasn't as good as some would have you believe. Arsenal just exposed him as a good rather than World Class centre-back.

Terry wouldn't make top 5 of the decade though. Nesta(hands down the best of the decade), Cannavaro, Maldini, Puyol and probably Thuram are ahead of him at least. The best Terry could hope for is 6-10 place.

:lol:

Paulo Maldini? No. He's the best left back of all time, and as a centre-back he's done more than an adequate job, but in the last decade he was playing from 32 years of age... not even close to being as good as Terry in that time frame.

Fabio Cannavaro is arguable, Alessandro Nesta has spent the vast majority of the past four or five seasons injured and as for Lillian Thuram :lol:

Coming from a Chelsea fan, i'm absolutely stunned you're coming out with that clap trap. Terry is the best defender we have ever had, and he's comfortably one of the best of the past 20 years let alone the fekkin last decade. I aint having anyone slag him off, especially one of our own who claims to support the club. You take that opinion onto our official chat site and you'll get slaughtered.

Bergkamp10

You missed Zanetti.

And Sol Campbell and possibly William Gallas.

He was not the best defender in the world care free :lol:, don't be silly. He's always made to look better than he is by who he plays with. A good defender but not great and has always been average at international level. Ferdinand has been the best defender in the world for the last few years.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
:lol: william gallas.

also carefree is deluded. maldini won 2 of his 5 CL titles in this decade. terry was good but in the past 3 years he has been made to look good by those around him.

nesta, maldini, cannavaro, thuram, puyol, zanetti, cafu all better and there is more

Last edited:
C

Carefree

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Unfortunately, Terry's off-field antics have led people to believe he's a shit defender cause they don't like him, as evident with this moronic post. End of the day, if he's doing the business for us, helping us to titles and helping us to clean sheets on a weekly basis, everyone else is welcome to this bizarre and quite frankly ridiculous opinion.

I'd love to have seen how some of you would have reacted if Bobby Moore was playing today. He made Terry look a saint, and Terry has far more to his game than Moore ever did. Unfortunate he was stripped of the captaincy, would have seen far better performances in South Africa had he kept it.

And Sol Campbell and possibly William Gallas.

He was not the best defender in the world care free :lol:, don't be silly. He's always made to look better than he is by who he plays with. A good defender but not great and has always been average at international level. Ferdinand has been the best defender in the world for the last few years.

I give up, absolutely pathetic, and i'm going to ignore you ever said Rio has been the best in the world in the last few years, cause he aint even been close. Gerard Pique has been the best on form of the past 2 years, and Vidic/Carvalho the years before. JT has largely been the best between 2003-2007, AND he's currently been faultless this season.

Bergkamp10

I give up, absolutely pathetic, and i'm going to ignore you ever said Rio has been the best in the world in the last few years, cause he aint even been close. Gerard Pique has been the best on form of the past 2 years, and Vidic/Carvalho the years before. JT has largely been the best between 2003-2007, AND he's currently been faultless this season.

Ferdinand has been the best defender in the world the past few years. Only been dodgy recently because of injury - don't see how anyone can see otherwise. Between 2003-2007, he was made to look good by playing with world class defenders. He is not world class and never has been.

Faultless because most of the teams he's played against have been teams who'll be fighting relegation. Was decent against Manchester City's 1 striker though, I'll give him that.

Oh I see there's more revelations about him tomorrow in the NOTW - What a guy, what a father.

C

Carefree

Ferdinand has been the best defender in the world the past few years. Only been dodgy recently because of injury - don't see how anyone can see otherwise. Between 2003-2007, he was made to look good by playing with world class defenders. He is not world class and never has been.
Faultless because most of the teams he's played against have been teams who'll be fighting relegation. Was decent against Manchester City's 1 striker though, I'll give him that.

No he hasn't. :lol:

Rio Ferdinand was banned for missing a drugs test between 2003 and 2004, he was largely slated for his lack of concentration in matches in the following years, and this is the same defender who was made to look a right plonker by Joe 'Lionel Messi' Cole in 2006 in the match at Stamford Bridge.

In 2007 he was very good along with the rest of the Man Utd team that managed to wrestle away the title from us, but don't think for one second he's been any better than Terry. Going by your (ridiculous) opinion on JT, would it be fair to say Rio has only looked good cause of Vidic? After all, it's only during Vidic's emergence as a top quality defender that Rio has shown his best form. Right?

Look, I don't mind if people don't like Terry as a person, I don't even mind if people prefere other defenders to him, but what I do mind is outrageous statements like the one bolded from you. Only made to look good by Riccy and Gallas? Is Alex now going to be the one to make him look good? :rolleyes:

It's twattish fans/posts like that I can't stand, and I was hoping this forum would be a refreshing change when I joined, but evidently not. Call him what you like, but an average defender only made to look good by his peers is pure bitterness, and you damn well know it.

Home of Barca Fans