John Terry

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Just for the record imo the top 10 central defenders of the decade in imo in no particular order are:-

Nesta, Cannavaro, Ayala, Ferdinand, Puyol, Thuram, Carvalho, Lucio, Maldini and Stam.

PS Terry is a gobshite and has always been average.

Plus a did you know moment:-

Before the abramovich era and as they were going bust Houllier was lining Terry up as Hyypia's partner at the back. This was in roughly 2002-3 time. Terry agreed in principal but wanted to wait to see how things panned out at chelsea before committing to a deal. The rest as they say is history and I can't help but be glad we never signed that horrible excuse for a human being.

Last edited:

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
those are all great defenders, i'll just put samuel there, instead of any of them, except nesta, carvalho, lucio and maldini...

Barcafan 2304

he's good to have in certain situations, like defending a lead on the edge of his own box with the midfield 5-10 yards in front of him.

basically he's a blocker. in tight packed situations his aggression and commitment can make him world-class, especially when surrounded by sweeper type defenders who are great at reading second balls, but in the open field he can be made to look very silly.

I remember Louis Saha made him look very silly last season at Goodison and exposed his lack of pace. Agree with your assessment there Meta

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Just for the record imo the top 10 central defenders of the decade in imo in no particular order are:-

Nesta, Cannavaro, Ayala, Ferdinand, Puyol, Thuram, Carvalho, Lucio, Maldini and Stam.

PS Terry is a gobshite and has always been average.

Plus a did you know moment:-

Before the abramovich era and as they were going bust Houllier was lining Terry up as Hyypia's partner at the back. This was in roughly 2002-3 time. Terry agreed in principal but wanted to wait to see how things panned out at chelsea before committing to a deal. The rest as they say is history and I can't help but be glad we never signed that horrible excuse for a human being.

I love how Lucio for all his doubters still make most people's top ten central defenders.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yeah he's definitely not top 10 for the decade. He was a muppet until he went to Inter IMO.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Yeah he's definitely not top 10 for the decade. He was a muppet until he went to Inter IMO.

Exactly. Part of the problem was he played with the likes of Demichelis at Bayern, but that didn't excuse his constant poor positioning and recklessness.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
He was decent at Leverkusen though. Though indeed I have always thought of him as slightly overrated, but I don't know any more CB's maybe Stam apart who would get in there :D

koko

terry-crying1.jpg

these moments are how i will remember john terry......gary lewin should have let him choke on his tongue

at least he shagged bridges mrs cant stand that little tart either best thing terry ever did

C

Carefree

Indeed. Gallas/Carvalho were the 2 top defenders during the Mourinho era.

Load of feckin rubbish. William Gallas was played largely out of position under Jose. Riccy was first choice next to JT and Gallas had to deputise at left back when Shearer broke Bridge's ankle. It's the main reason why he ended up getting the hump and leaving! His frailties as a defender have since been exposed at Arsenal without JT by his side. Of course, people still like to make up lies just to spite Terry.

As for Riccy - he was largely slated in his early days with us. Had a real tendency to lose his marker and do a crafty tug on the defenders shirt. In 2004/05, JT was the PFA player of the year, the first and last defender to achieve it since Paul McGrath way back in 1993. Carvalho better than Terry? Not.. a... chance.

I'm actually starting to get a bit pissed off with people slagging him off. This is the same defender who broke apart the 1998 World Cup winning defence when he was just 21 years old and for the best part of the last 7 years has been voted into almost every single team of the year. His fellow professionals evidently see something the legions of muppet fans don't. David Villa has also gone on record as saying JT was the toughest defender he's faced. ;-)

Love him or loath him, the man is a terrific defender, and would comfortably make the top 5 defenders of the last 10 years, let alone top 10.

BTW - Arsenal were sniffing around JT pre-Roman as a replacment for the retired Tony Adams, NOT Liverpool. Roman saved us from liquidation soon after and that meant we kept the (then) future important cogs of the team in JT and Lamps. As they say - rest is history.

Rohit

Lol funny thing is villa may have said jts the toughest defender his ever face and JT on his day is class. But have a look at what fernando said lol

'Terry is captain so gets a much higher profile. But he's only secondary to Carvalho. Ricky is superb. He has every quality that is needed.[31]
Fernando Torres, 05 July 2008.

i still think alex-terry combo aint as good as ricky and JT

koko

His fellow professionals evidently see something the legions of muppet fans don't. David Villa has also gone on record as saying JT was the toughest defender he's faced. ;-)

Love him or loath him, the man is a terrific defender, and would comfortably make the top 5 defenders of the last 10 years, let alone top 10.

Roman saved us from liquidation

1...footballers are thick they say and do stupid things all the time

2... :lol: no

3.... still gonna happen

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Giggs was voted by players as the player of the season 2 years ago(after like 5 good games)... Enough said. Terry won the award in his peak years when our defence was at its best, plus he's the title winning captain and English(after Henry had won it 600 times I'm sure everybody was hanging for an Englishman to actually win it). Man one year there was nobody really deserving to win it so they just give it to Gerrard, gtfo. :lol:

Gallas was awesome in his Chelsea years, whether he played as a CB or LB he was awesome, but changing him over for Cole was one of the best bits of business we did. Willy was never going to do as well at Arsenal cause they've always had a pants defence, as good as he was he wasn't a leader who would improve the defence as a whole, he'd just be another defender in a circus. Put Terry there and he'd look worse too, but at least they'd have some good organization. Carvalho is recognized by almost everyone as the best defender we had(just too injury prone), he's the one who'd hold the defence together if Terry was injured(like a couple years ago) or getting his ass beat by guys with something resembling agility and speed.

Terry wouldn't make top 5 of the decade though. Nesta(hands down the best of the decade), Cannavaro, Maldini, Puyol and probably Thuram are ahead of him at least. The best Terry could hope for is 6-10 place.

Rohit

The year giggs won that award what a joke and its such a fix. Everyone knows that gerrard was the best player in the premier league that year banging in 23 goals from midfield and many assists. We nearly won the title that year with fernando missing for most of year because of gerrard and alonso.

Home of Barca Fans