Pickpockets, thieves - myth or reality?

S

sd006

Does this problem exist in Madrid/Barcelona, how prevalent is? Are there certain parts of the city where tourists are more vulnerable?

XaviMessiGirl

I've never been there, but from stories I've heard on here (maz, Aasim, and others) it's not just a myth. You should ask them.

Barcafan 2304

Im always very careful when in Barca about personal belongngs etc. Im sure Barca has actually been referred to as the pickpocketing capital of Europe

maz

I walk the line
Don't give them a reason to steal anything.

Tbh it's the best kind of crime for the victim cause it's non-confrontational. But if they do see even the slighest chance to take something they will. I've seen soooo many people get pickpocketed. And be aware that not many people will jump in to warn you because they could be carrying a weapon and for the sake of a bit of money it's not worth getting involved. Don't leave wallets in your back pocket or the side pocket of some combat trousers. Don't leave a bag on your back with ANYTHING valuable in it (they sometimes just knife the bag open and take things). Don't set your bag down and let it out of site for one moment. If you go to the cashpoint to take out money, always try to do it before you are on your way back to the hotel. Because they follow you from the cashpoint and look for a chance to take the money out of where you stored it. E.g. in my case I put it in my bag which I always had by my side. But I was with someone and I went up to go to the toilet and when I came back my bag was gone.

It's not a dangerous crime, but to answer your question it is a very prevalent one.

Aasim

Bumbleman
Maz pretty much said it.

Just don't give them a chance. You have to have the mentality that they are everywhere and you can't let go of your bag.

Best thing is to carry as less as possible. I know it's wierd but imo the best thing to carry your stuff would be one of those fanny packs because you always have an eye on it. Having said that, i would never wear one lol

NickoH

You see, nobody ever goes in... and nobody ever co
Nearly got done myself on the metro but my son spotted it and knocked the fucker sideways.

Just have some common sense and you'll be fine.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Makes you wonder what the police are doing and do the city's authorities realize what damage those thieves are doing to their brand.

maz

I walk the line
There's not really much the police can do. These guys are surprisingly good at what they do and unless you have police watching every person then there will always be scope for pickpocketing. There are visible police on trains the vast majority of the time - something that can't be said for the UK. There are a lot of immigrants in barcelona, and all the ones I saw were by immigrants. Not every immigrant is a pickpocket, and not every pickpocket is an immigrant, but it's not the lack of policing so much as the mentality of the pickpockets.

Nearly got done myself on the metro but my son spotted it and knocked the fucker sideways.

Just have some common sense and you'll be fine.

Wish I'd seen that!

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
best way to prevent being pick-pocketed: look like a bad mother fucker.

works for me every time.

and avoid the pakistanis on las ramblas. they be trouble.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
best way to prevent being pick-pocketed: look like a bad mother fucker.

works for me every time.

to a much lesser extent, same :)

cant work out whether i have been lucky or sensible, i am always very alert to it and tend to go in groups of lads hwich means in the day we will spot you and at night we will spot you and will be less jovial about someone trying to rob us. of my 7 or so visits only one of my friends has ever got done and he was so pissed he followed a black guy up an alley to be shown a strip club at 6am, he was fairly asking for it.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
I lived in BCN for a year and never had trouble with pickpocketing, maybe due to the fact that I hung out with mainly locals and knew most of the tricks those poor pick-pocketing bastards were going to use. Hate it when they start hanging around your neck and try be all jolly-friendly - told couple of times for them f*ck off.

This all during the night, though in the near vicinity of plaça trippi.

Despite this all, however, it's still a huge problem within the city, as in any other, one should really pay close attention to their belongings.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
to a much lesser extent, same :)

we should form a wrestling stable, with yusuf.

cant work out whether i have been lucky or sensible, i am always very alert to it and tend to go in groups of lads hwich means in the day we will spot you and at night we will spot you and will be less jovial about someone trying to rob us. of my 7 or so visits only one of my friends has ever got done and he was so pissed he followed a black guy up an alley to be shown a strip club at 6am, he was fairly asking for it.

it's a combination of luck and sensibility, really. I mean simple things such as not looking like a tourist (I've been stopped BY tourists and asked question as though a local, and locals don't treat me like a tourist) and not wandering up alleys with random guys to see a strip club. lol.

but yeah, being in a group helps, but also sensible things like keeping your wallet and phone in your front pockets rather than back, where you can always feel them and access isn't as easy for thieves, can help tremendously.

Home of Barca Fans