Pickpockets, thieves - myth or reality?

maz

I walk the line
Yeah, I've heard about the colombian thieves.

And I think people notices thieves at work. I've seen many doing their stuff. But it's usually the victim that is the unsuspecting party, unfortunately.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Hahaha, this is one of the advantages of living here in Colombia... Any other country I go to seems like paradise, I'm so used to have all my senses in alert that walking down the street in some other country makes me feel like a paranoid bastard... I've never been to Europe, though...

In fact, I've seen thieves "working" in other countries and they look so amateur, obvious and inexperienced it's laughable, I can't believe people don't notice them...

Nothing beats the petty conmen in Buenos Aires. I caught thieves trying to get me a few times.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
never had a problem in BA, and thats including my 2 hour walk around pissed leaving the club at 10am on new years day on my own whilst getting destroyed by mozzies.

that sheeeeit is amazing too.

Spector

To try and redress the balance, when I've visited, I've neither been a victim of nor seen any crime, as opposed to where I live right now, where my brother was mugged at a cash machine while a few weeks earlier I witnessed a double assault. Barcelona is not some dead zone, and you shouldn't be scared going up La Rambla, which I've done in the dark quite a few times without any fear. Of course, if you walk down the main streets with an "I love Barcelona!" T-Shirt plus a bum bag, a map blowing about in your left hand and a copy of Lonely Planet in your right hand, you may be asking for trouble. Seriously, be sensible and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
S

sd006

I have two incidents to report from my trip. Once in a crowded metro, these two guys were constantly bumping into my father, but we didn't think anything of it because the ride was a bit bumpy (from Passeig de Gracia to Urquinaona, it's a curved track). When we got back to the hotel, he noticed that his money was gone. Expensive lesson learned. The second time, I was by myself at the fountain in Parc de la Ciutadella, and these two small children approached me with a "petition" clipboard. They wanted me to sign a petition for deaf children, and I noticed that the boy was holding the clipboard in one hand, while the other hand was under it, reaching for my pocket. I told them to go away, but I could see how tourists could fall for that trick.

redout

Two Moroccans attempted to pick pocket me coming back on the metro from last seasons clasico at Camp Nou.

Metro was jammed and no space to even lift your arm.

Had one on each side and they both attempted to pick my pockets at the same time!

Knew it was coming as I eyed them up on the platform before I even got on.

That and the fact some woman came screaming up the escalator that her purse had just been stolen.

All I could do was keep them zipped up and arms down by my sides.

C

cCV3

I have two incidents to report from my trip. Once in a crowded metro, these two guys were constantly bumping into my father, but we didn't think anything of it because the ride was a bit bumpy (from Passeig de Gracia to Urquinaona, it's a curved track). When we got back to the hotel, he noticed that his money was gone. Expensive lesson learned. The second time, I was by myself at the fountain in Parc de la Ciutadella, and these two small children approached me with a "petition" clipboard. They wanted me to sign a petition for deaf children, and I noticed that the boy was holding the clipboard in one hand, while the other hand was under it, reaching for my pocket. I told them to go away, but I could see how tourists could fall for that trick.

OMG that happened to me, a few kids came with a clipboard at ciutadella parc and so i signed, but they didnt pick pocket me thankfully

V

VAGator

I hope you don't mind if I share my experience with you:

My wife and I were spent some of our Honeymoon in Barcelona. On our last night, we decided to see the Fountain/Light show at Montjuic. Walked out of the hotel headed for the Metro and then a guy approaches us. He had an Eastern European accent, and asking us to point out in his map our current location cus he had no idea where he was. We've been staying in Barcelona for a week, and knew the area a little bit, so we decided to help. Then all of a sudden, two older fellas approach us, locals, in civilian clothing. Claims they are undercover officers, flashes us with their IDs ( too fast for me to even see the pictures, let alone read their names on it). Then questions the Eastern Euro guy and they tell all 3 of us that they are looking for drug dealers. Euro Guy freaks out, they ask for his ID, he shows it to them, and they look over it, and then hand it back and tells him to scram, and he runs away, kinda shaken up. The officers then turn to me and my wife, ask us for our IDs and wallets, we comply. Understand that we were on the very last part of our honeymoon, so we were pretty much broke, and probably had a couple of euros in our wallets. The guys sniff the wallets, and then gives it back to us and lets us go. Me and my wife look at each other, then kept walking to the metro and enjoyed the fountain show.

Up to today, we can't figure out what was going on that night. We have our own theories on who was the bad guy, or which party was the hustler.

Any of you experience any similar situations while in the City? Got any suggestions/theories on what was happening? Somebody wanted to hustle us that night, but they probably picked the poorest tourist couple in the area lol.

PS. Found this site after browsing the web looking to discuss today's 5-0 annihilation of Madrid. Congrats!

L

Lluna

my lurking has gone on faaaar too long! anyway, here are my thoughts. i just tried to stay alert and walk with a purpose, and i managed an entire week without incident, even in the crowded metro, las ramblas, train station, wrong turn in el raval, etc. i was once approached by a harmless looking elderly couple asking for directions and at the time i was flattered that they thought i might be a local, but even if they had actually been part of some scheme, it failed because nothing went missing. i also didn't release the grip on my purse strap the entire time, so who knows? just be smart and aware of your surroundings. not like a friend of mine who now hates barcelona because she had her flashy designer purse unzipped on her shoulder in the metro and her wallet and camera were stolen... i will be in barcelona again soon so we'll see if i'm as lucky this time.

Home of Barca Fans