Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Jesus, what does a guy have to do not to be Overrated on this forum...? :lol:

[YOUTUBE]LhcM4WP2cTc[/YOUTUBE]

The Man was a Genius.

But i prefer Xavi.

He's overrated because people consider him the best player of the last decade ahead of Ronaldo, Xavi and others in that league, that they consider him a notch above players just as good like Laudrup. Overrated does not mean poor, it means based on his eye-pleasing style and his nationality (because lets face it, they have been looking for a French messiah since Platini and unlike the other overrated French greats, Zidane actually won the World Cup - in France only, but still an accomplishment) people unfairly put him on the god-tier of players when he was far from perfect.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
He's overrated because people consider him the best player of the last decade ahead of Ronaldo, Xavi and others in that league, that they consider him a notch above players just as good like Laudrup. Overrated does not mean poor, it means based on his eye-pleasing style and his nationality (because lets face it, they have been looking for a French messiah since Platini and unlike the other overrated French greats, Zidane actually won the World Cup - in France only, but still an accomplishment) people unfairly put him on the god-tier of players when he was far from perfect.

When Zidane was in his prime, Xavi was not in the same league. Xavi has been absoloutly out of this world from 06 onwards IMO, before that it was Zidane and Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a striker. and was injured alot. I would consider Ronaldo the best of all time, But saying Zidane is overrated is like saying Messi is. I guarentee if Zizou played for Barca rather than madrid, people would singing a different tune.

If you think Zidane is overrated, watch every france game in the WC 06. he dominated that tournament. and But for that headbutt, he would of led his country to another world cup, at 35!?!

V

Valon

Exactly.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
If you think Zidane is overrated, watch every france game in the WC 06. he dominated that tournament. and But for that headbutt, he would of led his country to another world cup, at 35!?!

no he didn't.

he was anonymous in the group stages (not his fault, domdom is a dumbdumb).

against spain was also anonymous until aragones took raul off. raul had been man-marking makelele and preventing him from getting the ball to zidane. as a consequence zizou did doodley-squat. when raul went off, maka started moving the ball forward and zizou sent over a delish FK for vieira and scored a superb goal.

against brazil, yes, he was magnificent.

against portugal, he was alright but his only major contribution was scoring a penalty henry had dived to earn. mostly that game was portugal being subdued by makelele and vieira.

against italia, he again scored a penalty that was earned by a dive (this time malouda) and then didn't really do much, missed a sitter in extra time, and got sent off.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
no he didn't.

he was anonymous in the group stages (not his fault, domdom is a dumbdumb).

against spain was also anonymous until aragones took raul off. raul had been man-marking makelele and preventing him from getting the ball to zidane. as a consequence zizou did doodley-squat. when raul went off, maka started moving the ball forward and zizou sent over a delish FK for vieira and scored a superb goal.

against brazil, yes, he was magnificent.

against portugal, he was alright but his only major contribution was scoring a penalty henry had dived to earn. mostly that game was portugal being subdued by makelele and vieira.

against italia, he again scored a penalty that was earned by a dive (this time malouda) and then didn't really do much, missed a sitter in extra time, and got sent off.

Exactly, he only had one great game. For some reason that French team is romanticized just because of one game where they demolished a favoured but utterly uninspiring Brazilian team. In everything else after the horrible group stages they relied more on diving than Zidane's brilliance.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
i disagree, i remember watching that world cup, he was easily the best in the tournament for me. im not saying hes better than Xavi, but overrated? nahh.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Some people need to grasp the difference between being overrated and being poor, saying he's overrated doesn't mean he wasn't great. He's overrated because he's not the God of Football like some people would have you believe.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Some people need to grasp the difference between being overrated and being poor, saying he's overrated doesn't mean he wasn't great. He's overrated because he's not the God of Football like some people would have you believe.

why didnt you just say Silky Soccer? :lol:

and i know what it means, the word just annoys me. And Zidane IS one of the best ever.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
why didnt you just say Silky Soccer? :lol:

and i know what it means, the word just annoys me. And Zidane IS one of the best ever.

It's not just you and not just people on this forum. Understandably the word "overrated" usually has that connotation.

B

beautifulgame

Zidane.

However, comparing is useless. If anyone can answer the question on here in an objective manner I'd like to see it.

My question is for such a subjective form of expression like football how would you define the 'better' footballer?

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Yeppyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Revisionist convention is commencing headed by President Meta and VP La Furia. :dance:

pass the Dutchie maannn ...

Yes Zidane was awful in 2006... all blinded by the French people .. and since the Frenchies are dominant species they also voted him the best player in the WC due to so many people being hidden Frenchies .. we even manipulated people like Thuram , Henry , Makelele , Vieira to call it like it is and say Zidane was the one who took the charge of France by the horns all the way to the final .. although it was just that the Spain game after Raul was taken out or should that work differently Meta? Wasn't Raul subbed due to his awful display EARLIER in the first half ?
lets refer to the French oriented BBC report on the game i quote
"Zidane, who struggled in France's first two group games, looks to have finally found his rhythm, prompting and cajoling his teammates to victory just as he did during their successful 1998 campaign

.. go back the tree u fell from please ..

Anyhow.. regarding the comparison ..
Xavi is the best passer in the game.. probably the best passer since Michael Laudrup and in that area he is second to none and very consistent in providing the goods which is always the accurate pass .
Zidane was a whole different beast .. Xavi can just fantasies about the some of the dribble and ball control Zidane can provide .. while Xavi can get out of the tight situation by making an accurate pass /1-2, Zidane would protect the ball and pass by 2-3 players dribble past them and release it .
the world has seen very few players that the ball barely leave their legs and in the last 10 years there is 4 players i can mention that had this gift.. Zidane, Roman Riquelme , Messi and dinho Before he went fat .
They play differently as Xavi is deep player compared to Zizou and they can definitely play in the same team but lets not talk shit.. Zidane was magical and pure Genius to the extent some people do consider him greater than Ronaldo (the real one ) and one of the best players to ever grace the pitch .. Xavi is just a great player but he won't be in the same bracket , Xavi defined by the simplicity of his game , Zidane defined by the impossibility of his game .. u will say Xavi is the brains of Barca or Spain.. Zidane will make u awe from a goal or a move that change the face of the game
no matter what our resident neo-revisionist try to change , history cannot be changed by two forum posts and history says by those who are old enough and "MATURE " enough to watch the last 2 decades of football that Zidane was indeed on a different level all together with all respect to Xavi and that apply to all fans/football pundits / football historians except our revisionist falling off from a tree..
One last food for thoughts lets put Xavi in the period from 1996 to 2006 and see if he can earn a ballon D'or from the Ronaldo's ,Rivaldo's , Figo's , Del Piero, Henry's,Nedved's ..etc all in their prime or better put him in a dysfunctional club and country and see what he can do ? oh wait u had that prior to 2004 ;)

anyhow for Lafuria awards... Zizou awards
Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year - 1994
Ligue 1 Player of the Year - 1996
Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year - 1997, 2001
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year - 1998
FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match - 1998
World Soccer Awards Player of the Year - 1998
Ballon D'or - 1998
L'Équipe Champion of Champions - 1998
French Player of the Year - 1998, 2002
Onze d'Or - 1998, 2000, 2001
FIFA World Player of the Year - 1998, 2000, 2003