Xavi? Zidane?

• Xavi

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Zidane

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

tonio7

to each their own role, and style...
now I'm voting as a purist of lovely football, so I chose Zidane. For me he was top class, no offence to Xavi who I love!!!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
to each their own role, and style...
now I'm voting as a purist of lovely football, so I chose Zidane. For me he was top class, no offence to Xavi who I love!!!

Nobody has a more "pure" game than Xavi though. His fundamentals are just incredible.

I agree with Meta though that Zidane vs Iniesta is a better comparison..in which case I hate to but I have to give it to Zidane because he had a much better shot.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I'm one of the only people who doesn't jizz over Xavi. He is a fantastic player, one of the best today, but I dunno, never got caught up in the hype. I don't consider him an all time great and probably never will.

Anyway, I pick Zidane.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I have, I just don't jizz over it. You get that sometimes, everyone thinks somebody is so great but you don't see it.

maz

I walk the line
Agree about zidane and iniesta comparison. And I've often thrown Laudrup in with those two.

As for Zidane and Xavi? I think Zidane had something for everyone, whereas there are many fans of football that don't appreciate what Xavi does. But does that make Zidane a better player? I would err towards saying yes because..well it's hard to explain. Zidane was what Xavi is, but to more fans. And I think that is an important quality for a footballer. But I would feel awful if I never saw Xavi live (fortunately I've seen him live on many occasions), but I don't feel bad that I never saw Zidane live.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
They play/ed in different positions.

exactly.

xavi and zidane + a top-class DM would be an amazing midfield. it'd have less work and innate understanding than xaviesta+DM but it would also have more goals. I will always rate xavi higher, simply because zizou's mystique is so heavily tied into three goals, two of which were simple headers against a disorganised team.

zidane = laudrup = iniesta with goals

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Zidane was overrated.

zidane = laudrup = iniesta with goals

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Laudrup is a traitorous piece of shit who has a special place in hell alongside Schuster and Figo, but he's criminally underrated. IMO he was just as good as Zidane, and the only thing holding him back was being Danish. Even then the Denmark side build around him was awesome.

I'm one of the only people who doesn't jizz over Xavi. He is a fantastic player, one of the best today, but I dunno, never got caught up in the hype. I don't consider him an all time great and probably never will.

Anyway, I pick Zidane.

Honours
Barcelona

* Spanish League (5): 1998–99, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
* Spanish Cup (1): 2008–09
* Spanish Supercup (4): 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010
* UEFA Champions League (2): 2005–06, 2008–09
* UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
* FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009

Spain U20

* FIFA U-20 World Cup : 1999

Spain U23

* Olympic Games: 2000 Silver Medal

Spain

* UEFA European Football Championship: 2008
* FIFA World Cup: 2010

Individual

* Don Balón Award for Breakthrough Player of the Year: 1999
* Don Balón Award for Spanish Player of the Year in La Liga: 2005 [12]
* Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament
* FIFPro World XI: 2007–08, 2008–09
* IFFHS World's best playmaker: 2008,2009
* UEFA Team of the Year: 2008, 2009
* FIFA.com Team of the Year: 2008
* La Liga 2008-09 Top assist provider (20)
* La Liga 2009-10 Top assist provider (14)
* UEFA Champions League 2008-09 Top assist provider (7)
* UEFA Club Best Midfielder: 2008–09
* La Liga's Best Midfielder: 2009
* Ballon d'Or: 3rd Place 2009 5th place 2008
* FIFA Club World Cup Bronze Ball: 2009
* 2009 FIFA World Player of the Year Third
* Trofeo Alfredo di Stéfano: 3rd best player in La Liga 2009–10
* FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010
* 2010 FIFA World Cup: most passes completed, most chances created, longest distance ran.
* 2010 FIFA World Cup Man Of The Match Vs Paraguay Vs Portugal

----

I'm sure Xavi and his MASSIVE TROPHY CABINET are upset that you don't consider him an all time great. Really the only thing Zidane has on him is the Ballon d'Or, otherwise most of Zidane's advantage comes from being more flashy.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans