Tipping in Spain

S

sd006

Are tips expected in Spain? Waiters/taxi driver/hotel baggage handler/etc?

How much tip, is it calculated by percentage?

desoe

What I know about Spain - between 10 and 15% in bars/restoraunts. In the taxi - to the round figure.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
In bars no, just leave any small change, in restaurants around 10%, like Desoe says round up for taxi drivers. There's nothing like the tipping culture that exists in the US

maz

I walk the line
Even after 4 months I couldn't adapt to it. I'm used to tipping. But in Spain they don't expect much from tips at all.

Although I remember one time I went out with a meal with my gf and 2 friends. I offered to pay for the meal (which was about £100), and after much insistance, my 2 friends accepted it but on the basis that they would leave the tip. Which sounded fair to me. So they left about a €5 tip between them! It seemed like such an insult to both myself and the waiters.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
In bars no, just leave any small change, in restaurants around 10%, like Desoe says round up for taxi drivers. There's nothing like the tipping culture that exists in the US

Also important to bear in mind that many countries within Europe (Not sure about Spain) already include tip and VAT within the price...It's usually just some loose coins you can add to a total...You end up with a €50 meal, don't feel the need to give a US style 15-20% tip on top of it

A big reason, as well, why a lot of Americans seem to get offended by the lack of tipping from visiting Europeans...It's just not the order of things

S

sd006

I was tipping 10% at restaurants, and 1 euro per day for the hotel maid.

I read "tripping in Spain" but that's something else.

I usually only tip people that actually provided me with good service, except in the states where it pretty much mandatory.l

redout

4 years living in Madrid and I can honestly say the vast majority of Spaniards do not tip.

When the waiter see's a foreigner their eyes usually light up.

I usually leave 10% but on a rare occasion when service/waiter is poor I would leave nada!

Bucky

Penya Member
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to prepare for our up coming visit (will become regular too) and the whole travel section is extremely helpful.

This thread in particular will be quite important as we'll be self catering (bar breakfast hopefully) so it's great to get an idea of what to expect. Have to disagree with the "don't believe in tipping" and yes that too reminds me of Reservoir Dogs lol but that's bs. Sure if you get crappy service and they do something to make you feel unwelcome, or generally like they don't give a crap, then no tip. We tip but if the service was really good and felt that we were looked after, we tip extra. Unless of course there's a service charge.

There maybe cultural differences across the World, but we consider it rude and unappreciative if you don't tip. Yeah argue it's "their job" but the fact is, they've taken your order, waited on you & others, met demands (maybe not even from you) and pretty much slaved over your table & others all day/night, bringing food and drinks as ordered. The least you can do is show your thanks and appreciation via a tip. It's a small gesture and hopefully it will go a long way as they make what, minimum wage?

Home of Barca Fans