Rafinha Alcantara

serghei

Alena and Arthur hasn't done anything to warrant playing over Rafinha either

Rafinha got a lot more chances so far at Barcelona than either of those two. I propose we give them chances first. Then say they haven't done enough. Arthur is more than good enough to play against La Liga's weaker sides.

4 games into the season and no starts for Arthur. PSV next, if he doesn't start vs PSV then it's on Valverde. Again. As with most players that haven't got consistent playing time. Malcom is in the same situation. Scored in almost every preseason game, but no starts when the season actually starts. He was actually building some scoring form.

It was especially dumb not to start Malcom and Arthur vs Huesca.

After PSV Leganes and Girona these are our games.

Bilbao
Tottenham away
Valencia away
Sevilla
Inter
Real Madrid.

So, we're gonna start the likes of Arthuro Vidal, Arthur, Malcom, Lenglet etc. in these games after not giving them a start almost in any previous games? How does this work actually?

The normal approach is to get these players used to first team football in the easier games. Not to keep them on the bench against a team you could have beaten with Barca B + Messi. The point of rotating is not to rest the starters firstly, but to make sure you have rotational players who can perform great when called upon. How is that going to happen if they play only garbage minutes here and there?

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Rafinha got a lot more chances so far at Barcelona than either of those two. I propose we give them chances first. Then say they haven't done enough. Arthur is more than good enough to play against La Liga's weaker sides.

4 games into the season and no starts for Arthur. PSV next, if he doesn't start vs PSV then it's on Valverde. Again. As with most players that haven't got consistent playing time. Malcom is in the same situation. Scored in almost every preseason game, but no starts when the season actually starts.

It was especially dumb not to start Malcom and Arthur vs Huesca.

I am not disagreeing, but Rafinha has proved a lot of times that he is very useful squad player for this team, to say that he didn't show anything to warrant playing over 2 unknowns isn't correct.
And believe Alena is a rich man Rafinha tbh and I want him to play, but he isn't ready after that injury,Arthur was coming from a long trip too IIRC and Rafinha played less minutes before today game.
Rafinha wanted out, he is proven player in Liga and the club wanted to keep him, he will get his minutes and it is up to the other guys to get their minutes too

serghei

I am not disagreeing, but Rafinha has proved a lot of times that he is very useful squad player for this team, to say that he didn't show anything to warrant playing over 2 unknowns isn't correct.
And believe Alena is a rich man Rafinha tbh and I want him to play, but he isn't ready after that injury,Arthur was coming from a long trip too IIRC and Rafinha played less minutes before today game.
Rafinha wanted out, he is proven player in Liga and the club wanted to keep him, he will get his minutes and it is up to the other guys to get their minutes too

Neither is saying Arthur and Alena haven't done anything to play over Rafinha.

God Serena

Saying Arthur and Alena haven't done anything to play over Rafinha is absurd. We might as well never sign anyone young or promote from Barca B if that's the case, cuz they'll never play anyways. The exact same type of shit was often said about Gomes and Adriano and look where that got us.

xXKonan

We won't get anywhere with accepting the idea of Rafinha has proven more than Arthur and Alena because the former is older and has been here for years now. Everyone knows what Rafinha has and most people assume he's a decent backup and that's about it.

So why giving retreads like Rafinha more chances over the likes of Arthur and Alena? Shouldn't we give those two more chances first to see what they can bring to the table? This is the stuff I'm actually worried about under Valverde.

We have a good team, however, the main XI is full of players who are on the wrong side of 30 or are getting there. What we are seeing so far out of Valverde is he's not really a fan of developing players properly to an extent they can be more than just bench players.

He added only two new players to the XI and that was Coutinho and Dembele. The first one was due to Iniesta leaving and before that, he had no qualms about playing him out of position in order to accommodate Iniesta at times. And Dembele was brought in after Ney left and he got injured which I can excuse Valverde for that, however it still took him ages to accomidate him and even went as far as playing Fucking Andre Gomes ahead of him, a guy that admitted he was mentally scared of playing for a team like ours.

What I'm trying to say is fuck settling for that "Well if these guys are good enough for Lucho they must be good enough for me!" and using that as an excuse to not develop or utilize newer players. There's plenty of room for improvement on a number of fronts.

It's all about givening players a good chance to see if they have it or not. In our XI alone the weakest players for are easily Pique,Roberto and Suarez and to an extent even Rakitic. With the RB spot if Semedo isn't going to be that guy then sell him and find someone else or give a chance to Morey (assuming he renews) or even Wague to see what they have.

Pique's is someone that shouldn't be starting either on a consistent basis. Dude is declining and he's focused more on off field stuff. Suarez we all know his problems.

serghei

We won't get anywhere with accepting the idea of Rafinha has proven more than Arthur and Alena because the former is older and has been here for years now. Everyone knows what Rafinha has and most people assume he's a decent backup and that's about it.

So why giving retreads like Rafinha more chances over the likes of Arthur and Alena? Shouldn't we give those two more chances first to see what they can bring to the table? This is the stuff I'm actually worried about under Valverde.

We have a good team, however, the main XI is full of players who are on the wrong side of 30 or are getting there. What we are seeing so far out of Valverde is he's not really a fan of developing players properly to an extent they can be more than just bench players.

He added only two new players to the XI and that was Coutinho and Dembele. The first one was due to Iniesta leaving and before that, he had no qualms about playing him out of position in order to accommodate Iniesta at times. And Dembele was brought in after Ney left and he got injured which I can excuse Valverde for that, however it still took him ages to accomidate him and even went as far as playing Fucking Andre Gomes ahead of him, a guy that admitted he was mentally scared of playing for a team like ours.

What I'm trying to say is fuck settling for that "Well if these guys are good enough for Lucho they must be good enough for me!" and using that as an excuse to not develop or utilize newer players. There's plenty of room for improvement on a number of fronts.

It's all about givening players a good chance to see if they have it or not. In our XI alone the weakest players for are easily Pique,Roberto and Suarez and to an extent even Rakitic. With the RB spot if Semedo isn't going to be that guy then sell him and find someone else or give a chance to Morey (assuming he renews) or even Wague to see what they have.

Pique's is someone that shouldn't be starting either on a consistent basis. Dude is declining and he's focused more on off field stuff. Suarez we all know his problems.

Yep. We need a manager who would start asking the right questions and look for options in the long run. With Valverde if we don't sign a 23-24 year old player for 150m., there's no hope of actually developing a player to play in the first team.

If we had Valverde instead of Pep, Busi would've never made it that fast, Henry would've played 2 more seasons, Pedro would've never made it, Cesc would've stayed 2-3 more seasons too. He never in a million years would've promoted Busquets to play instead of Yaya Toure a very recognized player at DM at the time. He would've played Yaya 90% of the games during his 2-3 seasons tenure, and gave garbage minutes to Busquets who is a much better talent.

Deco? Lol. He was 31 when Pep came. No way in hell would Valverde sell Deco to give full minutes to Andres Iniesta at 24. 31 is like prime age for Valverde. Deco was just 2 years post a great season in which he was probably the best midfielder in the world. Suarez right now is basically Deco back then. And he plays non-stop, only different positions. Don't think he would've sold Ronaldinho either. Wouldn't have the balls to do it.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing he would've done better than Pep is not to antagonize Eto'o. Everything else he would've fucked up.

Last edited:

clemente

Makes all the sense to be playing over Rakitic, especially when we need a goal, or instead of Roberto and let Rakitic be DM.

Home of Barca Fans