Rafinha Alcantara

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Who cares if Gomes is the better player if he doesn't perform better. Although he obviously only played one season v Rafinha's three.

That said, another bad season for Gomes and we can forget fetching a decent fee for him, and there's absolutely no guarantee he'll get better either.

Would sell Gomes if a good offer comes in.

JamDav1982

Who cares if Gomes is the better player if he doesn't perform better. Although he obviously only played one season v Rafinha's three.

That said, another bad season for Gomes and we can forget fetching a decent fee for him, and there's absolutely no guarantee he'll get better either.

Would sell Gomes if a good offer comes in.

Would probably sell Gomes as well if decent offer came in but still believe he is the better player and could improve under new manager and gains confidence.

Rafinha I just think have seen the best of him and isnt good enough so dont agree with this idea it is ridiculous to sell Rafinha if Gomes is still at club.

God Serena

Dont agree. Think Gomes is the better player and Rafinha has not shown enough to be anything but a back up and not a particularly great one.

Even if not for injury dont think Rafinha is good enough and think Gomes is the better player although he has been poor last season.

I don't know what you've been watching the past season but Gomes has at no point been anywhere near the quality Rafinha has been, and that's coming from someone who agrees that Rafinha will never be anything but a backup.

Rafinha has actually been a pretty solid backup for us at times while Gomes is one of the standout reasons for why our season was so awful. I don't know how you can in any universe say Rafinha isn't as good as Gomes. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind such a statement.

JamDav1982

I don't know what you've been watching the past season but Gomes has at no point been anywhere near the quality Rafinha has been, and that's coming from someone who agrees that Rafinha will never be anything but a backup.

Rafinha has actually been a pretty solid backup for us at times while Gomes is one of the standout reasons for why our season was so awful. I don't know how you can in any universe say Rafinha isn't as good as Gomes. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind such a statement.

I said this past season Rafinha was better player even though dont think he is good enough to be anything more than a decent back up.

We can see how it pans out but Gomes at his best for Valencia looked to me there is a better player than Rafinha and will have a better career. Could be wrong just my opinion.

God Serena

I said this past season Rafinha was better player even though dont think he is good enough to be anything more than a decent back up.

We can see how it pans out but Gomes at his best for Valencia looked to me there is a better player than Rafinha and will have a better career. Could be wrong just my opinion.

Who is the "Better player" isn't any real argument, though. Using that reasoning Arda is a better player than Rafinha and Rakitic and should be starting. How Gomes played for Valencia doesn't translate to Barca and that's what really matters here. I'd have Rafinha in this team any day of the week over Gomes because as far as Barca is concerned, Rafinha has been a nearly infinite number of miles better than Gomes, who is easily our worst player excluding Arda.

JamDav1982

Who is the "Better player" isn't any real argument, though. Using that reasoning Arda is a better player than Rafinha and Rakitic and should be starting. How Gomes played for Valencia doesn't translate to Barca and that's what really matters here. I'd have Rafinha in this team any day of the week over Gomes because as far as Barca is concerned, Rafinha has been a nearly infinite number of miles better than Gomes, who is easily our worst player excluding Arda.

If who I think is the better player isnt relevant to you then dont bother arguing it. Fairly simple.

Dont agree with Arda over Rafinha or Rakitic.

Gomes how he played for Valencia is relevant for me as he showed a much higher level than produced this season. Even allowing for different system which will again be another system this season.

While I think Rafinha has shown as much as he can.

Can agree to disagree and see how future pans out.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Rafinha wasn't really that good, but at least brought end product to the team... Gomes brought absolutely nothing...

Raketa10

For 30 mil I would sell him in a heartbeat. As far as I understood Seri can go for 40 mil so we add 10 mil and we can buy Seri.
With Seri we would have a proper CM player while with Rafinha you have some backup mixture for RW/RM/CM.

Last edited:
For 30 mil I would sell him in a heartbeat. As far as I understood Seri can go for 40 mil so we add 10 mil and we can buy Seri.
With Seri we would have a proper CM player while with Rafinha you have some backup mixture for RW/RM/CM.

There is no way Seri is going for 40 mil. Where did you get that informatin?

- Brahim el Issaoui

BBZ8800

Sport says that we have 11 midfielders currently and if we plan to buy Verratti or Seri, we will need to sell at least two midfielders (Busquets, Mascherano, Iniesta, Rakitic, Gomes, Denis, Arda, Roberto, Rafinha, Alena, Samper).
Players who will most likely leave are Arda Turan and Rafinha:
http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/new-barcelona-boss-valverde-has-problem-midfield-6103592

In other article Sport also says that Monchi and Roma want to buy Denis Suarez, but he will stay at Barca for at least one more season:
http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/monchi-lining-barcelonas-denis-suarez-for-roma-switch-6101070

So, I guess that Gomes and Denis will get one more chance.
And if someone will be sold, those will be Arda and Rafinha. Maybe Rakitic or in extreme case Gomes/Denis.

Messi983

I don't count Masche as a midfielder and I don't believe Valverde considers him as one either. Alena will stay in Barça B (if they get promoted) and get around 10 games in first team. If Barca B is not promoted I think he'll go on loan. Samper also on loan or sold with buyback. I think Valverde will use both Rafinha (if he stays) and Denis more as wingers than just midfielders so I really only see Busi, Iniesta, Raki, Gomes and Roberto with a possible new signing for CM. 6 players for 3 positions if we stay with 4-3-3. Really not too much, especially considering Iniesta is pretty injury prone.

gasgas

Yeah he should go. Him and Arda

Gomes will come good next season with lot less weight on his shoulder, so will Denis

khaled_a_d

Sport says that we have 11 midfielders currently and if we plan to buy Verratti or Seri, we will need to sell at least two midfielders (Busquets, Mascherano, Iniesta, Rakitic, Gomes, Denis, Arda, Roberto, Rafinha, Alena, Samper).
Players who will most likely leave are Arda Turan and Rafinha:
http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/new-barcelona-boss-valverde-has-problem-midfield-6103592

In other article Sport also says that Monchi and Roma want to buy Denis Suarez, but he will stay at Barca for at least one more season:
http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/monchi-lining-barcelonas-denis-suarez-for-roma-switch-6101070

So, I guess that Gomes and Denis will get one more chance.
And if someone will be sold, those will be Arda and Rafinha. Maybe Rakitic or in extreme case Gomes/Denis.

Mascherano is defender, Alena won't get promoted (he is too young and not ready) and Samper would either get loaned/sold or will stay as a player for the future but won't play a big part
That leaves us with 8 players,2 of them will play more on wings (Rafinha & Denis) and one will be sold.
I think Rafinha decision depends on him more than anything tbh

Home of Barca Fans