A group close to FC Barcelona want Villa to remove the Spanish flag from his boots

tonio7

So I'm gonna loosely translate this from crap I've heard and read re this "issue"...

A group close to FC Barcelona want Villa to remove the Spanish flag from his boots

It seems a certain group headed by Johan Cruyff wants David Villa to remove the Spanish flag from his boots. Villa has the Asturian and Spanish flags on his boots, plus the names of his two daughters, Zaida and Olaya.

It's said that he will follow suit as he doesn't want any problems...
the group also, as reported months ago, didn't appreciate his "torero" manner of celebrating during the World Cup (may I add: this was accorded with McDonald's, one of Villa's sponsors and has nothing to do with bullfighting)...

Now I'm gonna add my 2 cents:

1. If all this is true, it's another reason why I love Barcelona as a city, but will never live there or anywhere in Catalunya, in general.
2. For the love of God, Villa is Spanish. If they don't want him wearing the flag on his boots, well maybe they shouldn't have bought him... and for that matter maybe all their players shouldn't play for Spain.
3. Since they don't want other flags appearing anywhere on the players, why don't they ask Messi to take his Argentina flag off his boots as well? Last time I checked Argentina doesn't belong to Catalunya... bohhh???
4. Why can't catalans, in general, STOP mixing politics with sports?! I've had enough of this crap, frankly...
5. A Dutchman telling a Spaniard to take away his own flag from his boots... now I've really heard it all!

Again, if true I hope both Pep and Rosell tell the gilipollas, including Cruyff, to get their heads out of their asses and go run for government and leave futbol to others.

W

woobie

WHere exactly did you hear/read this? Got a link by any chance?

nebeer

Love is All
It should not be interpreted wrongly here. Putting the Spanish flag on the boots is not disrespectful. For a footballer, his boots and legs are like his heart or most valuable things. He has also put the names of his 2 daughters on them. So whoever this group is, please leave him alone and it should not be made an issue.

tonio7

It should not be interpreted wrongly here. Putting the Spanish flag on the boots is not disrespectful. For a footballer, his boots and legs are like his heart or most valuable things. He has also put the names of his 2 daughters on them. So whoever this group is, please leave him alone and it should not be made an issue.
exactly! ;)
and I hope to God David sticks to his guns.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Read this on el confidential.

BARCA is a symbol for people from Catalunya who want Catalunya to be independent . It has always been like this , We can`t walk alone. We will always have to walk with the History.History teaches , Spain`s politics has always been mixed up with sports .

And Villa would have to remove it. That`s it.

W

woobie

how reliable is El Confidencial? Or is it a Spanish equivalent to the Sun?

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
pep_guardiola.jpg

shann

Xavi es mi hombre
how reliable is El Confidencial? Or is it a Spanish equivalent to the Sun?

Certainly not equivalent to The Sun, that's EMD and Sports and Marca :lol:

But I don't read Spanish and/or Catalan media regularly so I don't really know about this one.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I think this is pure BS to be honest, designed by a petty Spanish nationalist publication to keep the anti-Catalanistas frothing at the mouth. I think you need to be pretty gullible to be sucked in by this kind of gutter press fiction.

I do like the suggestion that all our players stop playing for Spain though and the other national sides, that would solve a lot of problems for us!

Home of Barca Fans