Juan Manuel Vargas

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I thought there was already a Vargas topic, but I can't find it....

Anyway, congratulations to Peru's new captain! :wub:

Hatem Ben Arfa

He is a fantastic talent! I remember first watching him Copa America 2007 and thinking, WOW, this boy is going to be a star!

Newcastle were supposed to sign him, but we lost out to Fiorentina!

He's been fantastic for La Viola. His left foot is amazing! Seeing him strike the ball with it is something to behold! He is a left back by trade but because he is so good attacking, he has played as Left Winger for Fiorentina for many many games now! Maybe his Profile would be even higher had Fiorentina gone through to the CL Semi Final last season instead of Bayern who went thorough because of an offside goal!

But again his left foot is amazing, he hits the ball as hard as Roberto Carlos, but with amazing Accuracy! If he joins Barca, he will put Dani Alves to shame on long distance free kicks!

Oh yeah, anyone remember seeing him almost knock Argentina out of the World Cup qualifying in the last minute. Argentina scored late goal to take them through, and then from the resulting kick off, Vargas does some FIFA 09 glitch, and shoots straight from Kick Off spot, has keeper beat and it hits the crossbar!

Barca should sign Vargas instead of Bale, if they are looking for a left back! Much much better defesnively than bale!

Last edited:

iced1776

Love Vargas, workhorse with a very, very powerful left foot. I was hoping to watch him more this season but Fiorentina hasn't been aired much and I lost a bit of interest in the team after Jovetic was sidelined.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
He's had an awkward season this year: injuries, lack of form, a bit tubby at times.

But he's a really good player generally speaking, hopefully he turns it on at the Copa America.

Hatem Ben Arfa

He's had an awkward season this year: injuries, lack of form, a bit tubby at times.

But he's a really good player generally speaking, hopefully he turns it on at the Copa America.

Yes, he has had and awkward season. Still one of the Best Left Backs in the World and a damn sight better than Maxwell and Adriano! We should sign him and use Abidal as a center back from now on.

Although I still say, defensively there is only 1 left back in the World that is better than Jose Enrique in that Deaprtment this season, and that is Abidal. We should sign both Vargas and Enrique, and get rid of Maxwell and Adriano. Or maybe keep Adriano as Alves' back up at right back.

Although I'm a toon fan, and hope Jose Enrique stays. But our club is showing no ambition under our current owner. So I wouldn't begrudge Jose getting a move to Barca.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
I don't think he's one of the best LBs in the world, most of his development into a top player has been done on the wing. He hasn't played at LB for about 2-3 years now.

Hatem Ben Arfa

I don't think he's one of the best LBs in the world, most of his development into a top player has been done on the wing. He hasn't played at LB for about 2-3 years now.

Yes I know he's played most of his games on the wing since middle of last season. I said so in my very first post in this thread. But for me he is one of the few players who defends as well as he attacks. If we sign him as rumoured, I guarantee he will play as our left back.

iookram

Yes, he has had and awkward season. Still one of the Best Left Backs in the World and a damn sight better than Maxwell and Adriano! We should sign him and use Abidal as a center back from now on.

Although I still say, defensively there is only 1 left back in the World that is better than Jose Enrique in that Deaprtment this season, and that is Abidal. We should sign both Vargas and Enrique, and get rid of Maxwell and Adriano. Or maybe keep Adriano as Alves' back up at right back.

Although I'm a toon fan, and hope Jose Enrique stays. But our club is showing no ambition under our current owner. So I wouldn't begrudge Jose getting a move to Barca.

Yeah Cashley is going nuts. Just when it looked like we(Newcastle are my other supported club, besides Barca) had a little chance of getting into possibly the Europa League or at least top 8, he goes and sells Carroll. I bet that it is only a matter of time before he cashes in on our 2 other monster players... Jose Enrique and Cheick Tiote. And after that, Tim Krul.

Would be great to see Vargas at Barca. He'll really make the left back spot our own. Then Abidal as Pique's(he's gotta buck up) central defensive partner and use Puyol like how Man Utd use Giggs.

Andres Iniesta

Yeah Cashley is going nuts. Just when it looked like we(Newcastle are my other supported club, besides Barca) had a little chance of getting into possibly the Europa League or at least top 8, he goes and sells Carroll. I bet that it is only a matter of time before he cashes in on our 2 other monster players... Jose Enrique and Cheick Tiote. And after that, Tim Krul.

Would be great to see Vargas at Barca. He'll really make the left back spot our own. Then Abidal as Pique's(he's gotta buck up) central defensive partner and use Puyol like how Man Utd use Giggs.

Well i dont think we should move abidal permanent to cb and use Puyol like Giggs because Our captain is more important to us since we only have abi, pique and puyol.(milito isnt an option) and Giggs is older. Pique-Puyol is a great double and we just need one more to the left (bale or f.coentrao are my favourites but vargas is a good option but older then the others) and then abidal could switch between LB or CB just when needed. Btw we could sell maxwell and keep adriano as d.alves cover :iniesta:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Why not?

Vargas can defend as well as he attacks.

Err, no he can't. I wish he could because Fiorentina's left backs are a revolving door of garbage but he's much, much better in an attacking role than he is as a fullback. As much as he's a hard worker who fights for the ball he has terrible discipline and either ends up playing terribly on both sides of the ball or gets sent off when he has to focus too much on defence.

The only way I could see him and Alves starting as wingbacks would be in a 3-4-3 and that could kick a lot of ass, but in a traditional backline him and Alves definitely could not play together.

He's also injured again because Peru trained on a shit field. I hate international breaks so much.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

Err, no he can't. I wish he could because Fiorentina's left backs are a revolving door of garbage but he's much, much better in an attacking role than he is as a fullback. As much as he's a hard worker who fights for the ball he has terrible discipline and either ends up playing terribly on both sides of the ball or gets sent off when he has to focus too much on defense.

He's also injured again because Peru trained on a shit field. I hate international breaks so much.

When I've watched him play, he really hasn't been that bad defensively. I've seen him track back plenty of times, win the ball and hold off like 3 challenges and then pass. I watched all Peru games in Copa America 2007 and WC 2010 qualifiers and he did not disappoint me as a defender.

Yes he attacks better than he defends since his attacking play is on Par with Gareth Bale/Di Maria, but he is very good defensively IMO!

I would have him here in a heart beat.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
When I've watched him play, he really hasn't been that bad defensively. I've seen him track back plenty of times, win the ball and hold off like 3 challenges and then pass. I watched all Peru games in Copa America 2007 and WC 2010 qualifiers and he did not disappoint me as a defender.

Yes he attacks better than he defends since his attacking play is on Par with Gareth Bale/Di Maria, but he is very good defensively IMO!

I would have him here in a heart beat.

Well the thing is he is good defensively, but not in the back line. He's the type of player that needs his freedom and when he plays from too deep, he tends to look worse on both ends. He's one of those players that on paper should thrive as a fullback based on his skillset but because he lacks discipline it never works out no matter who his coach is.

He's one of my favourite players and I could see him fitting in on Barca as a role player but his struggle with injuries this year is worrying.

Home of Barca Fans