Johan Cruyff

Gilberto

Hey guys, haven't been active on the forum the last year or so, but wanted to say that it has become my mission to hang as much stuff related to Cruyff on my wall as possible and I am definitely making progress. Such a shame he isn't with us anymore, and especially since my nation needs someone like him to solve the mess which is our national football team. Hope everyone is doing well, I will be more active on the forum I hope.

Ekul

Autobiography comes tomorrow. Can't wait to get hold of it.

“He was part of the 1 percent, who will always be remembered." - Jordi Cruyff.

ini4ever

This team which revealed is from 2012 by him and is about showing his expression of how each positions' style/class should be. For example players like Pep's capability should be DMs or Charltons as CMs and it doesn't mean Pep is the best DM.
He explained picking a XI team is wrong because there are several players out there that their qualities are close or same.
He also had reveled a dream team back in 1999 or 1995 don't know exactly and Rijkaard was his best DM in his team.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
And actually with Cruyff, the thing I like is he's not swept up in the current age of stars - remembers vividly well the stars of his own generation who were game changers themselves

Still, the Messi thing seems odd as great as Maradona was. Perhaps he thought at his peak, he had most of Messi's game combined with Suarez' grit before drugs made him implode

It's a remarkable XI nevertheless and clear he has a soft spot for Pep

Horatio

You're welcome
And actually with Cruyff, the thing I like is he's not swept up in the current age of stars - remembers vividly well the stars of his own generation who were game changers themselves

Still, the Messi thing seems odd as great as Maradona was. Perhaps he thought at his peak, he had most of Messi's game combined with Suarez' grit before drugs made him implode

It's a remarkable XI nevertheless and clear he has a soft spot for Pep

Why you speak of him in present tense?

El Flaco

Some quotes from Cruyff's autobiography

On watching football with his father: "I admired two players; one was [Alfredo] Di Stefano, who knew all about how to open spaces up on the pitch. The other was Faas Wilkes, a great dribbler."

On playing in the street: "Everything started in the street, that was where I began to think of turning disadvantages into advantages. The pavement, rather than an obstacle, could be a teammate in a one-two. When you fall on concrete, it hurts, so you play football trying not to fall down."

On his passion for numbers: "They fascinate me, I'm very interested in numerology. I married Danny on December 2... 2+12=14, the number on my back. Also, with the year being 1968 you can make two 14s with the whole date." Cruyff passed away aged 68.

On baseball: "Playing baseball I learned many details that were useful to football, when you determine the flight of the pitch and judging it as a catcher without a perfect view. That sharpened one of my strengths as a footballer, having a wider field of vision. I learned to think ahead. It has many parallels with football: speed, acceleration, adaptation, balance, spatial awareness, anticipation, and more."

On his child: "Jordi suffered many difficult things and that's why he's now a special man, he was always surrounded by difficulties to overcome, it's no coincidence some people talk of Jordi Cruyff Syndrome."

On his attempted kidnapping in 1977: "I was at home watching a basketball game on TV and they rang the intercom, claiming to be a courier. When I opened the door, they put a gun to my head and forced me to the ground, face down. We were all at home, including the kids, and they shouted for all the doors to be open and stole things. Later I learned that in front of the house was a van with a mattress, indicating it was a kidnapping."

On losing 80 percent of his money, 6 million dollars, in an investment disaster: "I became an entrepreneur and it was one of the most important lessons I learned in life. My stubbornness got to work in the wrong way, all my money went to rats. At the time I just didn't know."

On Nunez hiring him as Barcelona coach: "I was a political signing, I knew beforehand and so I made my conditions clear from the outset. For example, only I could lead the dressing room, no other players or coaches, just me. We never had a warm relationship."

On Busquets: "He will be a good coach, like Guardiola, he's had to work hard and nobody has ever given him anything."

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2016/10/06/57f6119ee5fdeaf91e8b462f.html

Home of Barca Fans