9 - Samuel Eto'o

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I poorly translated a big part of his interview on Canal +. I couldn't wait for proper translation. Sorry for quality of article, I'm using some web translators - don't know a word of spanish :)

images

"Samuel Eto'o assures that "I should never imagine that my exit of the Barcelona would be so hard. There have been a lot of injustices. The law of the soccer indicates that you have to go away of a place when your yield is not good. If it had been like that he would have accepted that they were changing to me, but mine was more than good". "When it was said that I I had to go away from the club: how many teammates went out in my defense? Not just as a football player, but because they knew me day after day", the Inter Milan ace has reflected on an interview in tv show Informe Robinson of Canal Plus
"Since I went out of Barcelona I took the decision not to say anything that could affect the feelings of my former partners because I want them gain everything. But I am disappointed by many people. If I say two, they will point at Pep and (Laporta, but there are many other persons inside this club with whom I have been disappointed", 9 that it has been vital in the conquest of the last two Champions Leagues stated
"If you are a man you say it to the face: ' Here we are, this is my way, my point of view and point'. But to find out from the press of everything that had happend... The way that was acted about my status have been almost scared. With something to hide. Like that they had decided it many months earlier", remembers Eto'o.
"With Laporta... he knows. I will never allow myself to say to a camera everything what I can reproach him. The last time that I spoke with him I said to him that he would never be disappointed and I will always defend him. Neither Laporta nor Pep are the only ones that decide. There are others who hide and decide, but I am never going to name them. They have been always hidden", has told the Cameroonian to Michael Robinson.
"I have played with many players but I have played only with three phenomena. Ronaldinho, Andrés Iniesta and today, I Messi. Ronaldinho in his moment was impressive. When we were going out from the tunnel of Nou Camp I was saying to him: "Black, we are going to arm it". And he was saying to me: "You only run, you will always receive the ball". It is a pity to all see him so often suffering, but that does not remove what it has done. Thanks to him the illusion returned to the Barcelona and he is with the few ones that have marked the history of the soccer and of the Barcelona", said Eto’about 'Ronnie'
In his memoirs there are chapters that it has underlined. "Rijkaard in his moment was the best trainer which Barcelona could have the. But after so many victories he could not punish us because it was hurting him. We often abused his confidence", he indicated."

Source: Mundo Deportivo

Cheers for that Monte :wave:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
This is Samu's MO, though...Always has to play with a chip on his shoulder and always feels someone has disrespected him...Never a case of him being guilty of something, in other words he is beyond recrimination or reproach - which I find consistently self centered on his part.

He also intimates in the interview that he's been let down by teammates in them not stepping up for him but I think he's overanalyzed that one too much...That and the fact that perhaps his ego issues finally wore thin

Barcilliant

Sammy is the man-I will always be a fan of him. On or off the pitch he was a no-nonsense razor sharp person with a desire to win. I thought his time was coming but we should have kept him and let him go on a free. He will get better at Inter but he wont reach the heights he did at Barca.

Barca's greatest striker-no doubt about it. Consistent-scored a boatload of goals and scored big match ones too. LEGEND!

Beast

The Observer
Ronaldo was only around for one season and failed to win much silverware of note, as talented as he was he didn't achieve enough to have a lasting contribution on the club. If it's going to be a Brazilian it has to be Romario, though as far as the dream team goes I consider Stoichkov the greater player for Barcelona, not the same kind of scorer but a much greater contributor overall.

Alcantara is probably the "official" greatest striker due to his freakish record but it's hard to judge him in the modern game's context. Kubala's a little more modern but still the product of a different era.

Why people always forget the cup winners cup !!!!
NO SILVERWARE OF NOTE ? how about u won Copa , cup winners cup & super cup.. in short he won everything u competed in par the liga ?

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Why people always forget the cup winners cup !!!!
NO SILVERWARE OF NOTE ? how about u won Copa , cup winners cup & super cup.. in short he won everything u competed in par the liga ?

I love the Cup Winners Cup, they need to bring it back. But I think we were better with Romario on the team than Ronaldo, whose one year was in the middle of league winning sides.

mobster_1930

Eto'o is right, Guardiola should tell him in face that he didn't want him, not by the press and "feelings" thing. I mean, Guardiola is great, but he is not saint, he had some bad signings, Caseres, Hleb, possibility of them being even Chyg, Eto'o didn't deserve this.

desoe

How about our founder? Or Ronaldo (though that was just one season, he was great)..

I'm sorry, just saw your response.

Ronaldo is maybe the biggest reason why I fell in love with Barca, but when I dare to point someone with such a delicate and special definition as "greatest", I'm not thinking just about the player, no matter how much briliant he was.

I'm thinking also about his contribution and legacy to this club, everything he bringed and won for us. And if we put everything on a same table, even phenomenal players like Romario and Ronaldo can't match Eto. I'm not talking about who's better as an individual player, I'm talking about who was a better player for us. Even if we accept that Maradona is a more briliant player than Stoichkov, for example, could you tell that he was greater for us than him ? I think no. We all know who is the legend and who's not. It's same about the strikers, which I mentioned. Ronaldo is no doubt a much more talented striker than Eto could ever be, but he's not FCB legend.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans