Belgium

Wouterinho

We lost indeed. And I can see why one would say so, and they aren't wrong probably. But first, Belgium needs to qualify for a major tournament imo. They haven't managed to do so in years, whereas we usually do so. It would be foolish to say Belgium are better based on only one match.

Also, don't forget Van Gaal used 4 first-time internationals in the back four in the second half, when we conceded most of our goals. It was a game of experimentation for us, with a new formation and a new back line. For Belgium, it was a different story.
Belgium did lack their star-player and captain (Kompany).
And about the dutch defense: It's true, but the dutch defense is a mess, no matter what.

Wouterinho

I know right, it's an awesome team. The amazing thing is they will all have 2 more years of experience by that time. They could really be a huge force in 2014.

I can't wait to see them when it all clicks into place.

It will be interesting to see if Anderlechts Musonda chooses Belgium over Zambia too. He is very highly rated.
Musonda plays for the u16 of Belgium and I think he already declined an 'offer' from Zambia.
Also: I'd put Courtois in goal instead of Mignolet ;)

Edman

It's been very frustrating to watch belgium preform so poorly with the quality squad it has. The win over the netherlands was much needed for both the supporters as the players. It was really the first game where we really took advantage of the slip-ups by the other team (Mertens played a big role in this). Let's hope indeed that in two years time we've progressed enough for a good impression at the WC.

Hellsangel

We are still developing as a team but we'll get there. I'm positive in that aspect, unlike some others.

This is a mix of the biggest names we can line up (maybe not the best team, but who can really tell what our best line-up is atm? A lot can change in few years time)

--------------------------------Romelu Lukaku--------------------------

Kevin De Bruyne--------------------------------------------Eden Hazard

---------------------Moussa Dembele-----Axel Witsel--------------------

------------------------------Marouane Fellaini------------------------

Jan Vertonghen--Thomas Vermaelen-Vincent Kompany--Toby Alderweireld

------------------------------Thibaut Courtois-------------------------

Most of these guys are well-known. Alderweireld plays for Ajax but he's the weakest link in this team. Belgium has no decent right back. We potentially have/had Anthony Vandenborre. Slick right back who once teared Spain apart but he has too much mental problems to perform on a regular basis. He doesn't even have a club right now.. Kevin De Bruyne is a very highly rated player. Pure footballer, playmaker who can play CM, AM en winger. He'll shine at Werder Bremen this season, on loan from Chelsea.

Then we have some depth aswell: Simon Mignolet, Daniel Van Buyten, Nicolas Lombaerts, Sebastien Pocognoli, Steven Defour, Radja Nainggolan, Maarten Martens, Vadis Odjidja, Dries Mertens, Kevin Mirallas, Nacer Chadli, Christian Benteke, Gabi Mudingayi, Jelle Vossen to name a few.

And according to Belgium connaisseurs, we have some maginificent talents in U16-U17 category coming through:
Charly Musonda Jr. - transferred to Chelsea, supposedly one of the best players at his age in the world.. he wanted to join Barça (he had the option to) but his parents decided to go for the money of Chelsea unfortunately.. from what I've seen of him, it's easy to tell the boy oozes class)
Andreas Pereira - Manchester United
Matthias Bossaerts - Manchester City, physically strong centre back
Siebe Schrijvers - KRC Genk
Zakaria Bakkali - PSV

So future looks bright for Belgium. Now hopefully we can finally capitalise on our talent :)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We are still developing as a team but we'll get there. I'm positive in that aspect, unlike some others.

This is a mix of the biggest names we can line up (maybe not the best team, but who can really tell what our best line-up is atm? A lot can change in few years time)

--------------------------------Romelu Lukaku--------------------------

Kevin De Bruyne--------------------------------------------Eden Hazard

---------------------Moussa Dembele-----Axel Witsel--------------------

------------------------------Marouane Fellaini------------------------

Jan Vertonghen--Thomas Vermaelen-Vincent Kompany--Toby Alderweireld

------------------------------Thibaut Courtois-------------------------

Most of these guys are well-known. Alderweireld plays for Ajax but he's the weakest link in this team. Belgium has no decent right back. We potentially have/had Anthony Vandenborre. Slick right back who once teared Spain apart but he has too much mental problems to perform on a regular basis. He doesn't even have a club right now.. Kevin De Bruyne is a very highly rated player. Pure footballer, playmaker who can play CM, AM en winger. He'll shine at Werder Bremen this season, on loan from Chelsea.

Then we have some depth aswell: Simon Mignolet, Daniel Van Buyten, Nicolas Lombaerts, Sebastien Pocognoli, Steven Defour, Radja Nainggolan, Maarten Martens, Vadis Odjidja, Dries Mertens, Kevin Mirallas, Nacer Chadli, Christian Benteke, Gabi Mudingayi, Jelle Vossen to name a few.

And according to Belgium connaisseurs, we have some maginificent talents in U16-U17 category coming through:
Charly Musonda Jr. - transferred to Chelsea, supposedly one of the best players at his age in the world.. he wanted to join Barça (he had the option to) but his parents decided to go for the money of Chelsea unfortunately.. from what I've seen of him, it's easy to tell the boy oozes class)
Andreas Pereira - Manchester United
Matthias Bossaerts - Manchester City, physically strong centre back
Siebe Schrijvers - KRC Genk
Zakaria Bakkali - PSV

So future looks bright for Belgium. Now hopefully we can finally capitalise on our talent :)

Thanx for the quality contribution mate.
I for one am worried about our upcoming WC qualifications clash (Belgium-Croatia). You seem in a good form and we are yet to find ourselves under the new coach. Will be a hard battle for the 1st place in this group together with Serbia.

Wouterinho

Thanx for the quality contribution mate.
I for one am worried about our upcoming WC qualifications clash (Belgium-Croatia). You seem in a good form and we are yet to find ourselves under the new coach. Will be a hard battle for the 1st place in this group together with Serbia.
Any updates on Modric?
I recently read that he might not be starting against Belgium?

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
My money's on these guys for 2018! I expect a decent showing in 2014 but no further than quarter finals I believe, lack of experience in tournaments together. Semi if they play really well. Unless they all improve big time next season. I guess you could call them a dark horse for the coming Cup. But you'd think they'll make Euro 2016 to get some more experience which will set them up for WC2018. They could even challenge in 2016.

Home of Barca Fans